The FA Cup and the BBC

Started by Lecale2, January 05, 2008, 08:21:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lecale2

Is it just me being a grumpy old man or is anyone else pissed off at the way BBC over-hype the FA Cup. I usually listen to 5 Live and every time I've had the fecking radio on the week it's been Magic of the cup this and magic of the cup that.

Last night they had a 4 hour programme where a load of has beens held a love in and all agreed the the FA cup is the greatest competition in the world and the players really rate it.  We all know the 3 premiership or championship points are more important to most managers and players. Who are they trying to kid? Is it just because it's the only live club soccer they get to show now?

Minder

Quote from: Lecale2 on January 05, 2008, 08:21:05 AM
Is it just me being a grumpy old man or is anyone else pissed off at the way BBC over-hype the FA Cup. I usually listen to 5 Live and every time I've had the fecking radio on the week it's been Magic of the cup this and magic of the cup that.

Last night they had a 4 hour programme where a load of has beens held a love in and all agreed the the FA cup is the greatest competition in the world and the players really rate it.  We all know the 3 premiership or championship points are more important to most managers and players. Who are they trying to kid? Is it just because it's the only live club soccer they get to show now?

Nail on head. I think it shows you the high esteem it is held when Man Utd didnt even enter it in 2000.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

saffron

Yeah its totally ridiculous just cause its the only live football they have they hype it to death. The worst is the lower league teams getting a run out on tv and that being described as the romance of the cup

Minder

Its the whole cliched "carpenter hopes to put nail in xxxxxxx's Fa Cup coffin", and when  there is an all premiership tie it is hyped as the tie of the round, yeah its great watching Reading reserves v Man Unites reserves.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

never kickt a ball

Quote from: Minder on January 05, 2008, 10:49:33 AM
Its the whole cliched "carpenter hopes to put nail in xxxxxxx's Fa Cup coffin", and when  there is an all premiership tie it is hyped as the tie of the round, yeah its great watching Reading reserves v Man Unites reserves.

I saw one too about a bin man playing for a non-league team in the cup - Total rubbish it was!

The Real Laoislad

I have too dis agree with ye all,I love the FA Cup,Yes i do know it has lost a lot of what it use too be about and some players/fans don't rate it anymore
Maybe it's because i have such fond memories of the FA Cup pre-skysports era when the FA Cup Final use to be a day long event and Match of the Day use to start at 9am and have a big build up to the match...
I know when Benitez put a reserve team out against Burnley a few years ago and lost there was outrage from most Liverpool fans about why he hadn't taken the cup seriously..
I still believe there is a little romance still left in the FA Cup
You'll Never Walk Alone.

carnaross

Quote from: The Real Laoislad on January 05, 2008, 11:37:00 AM
I have too dis agree with ye all,I love the FA Cup,Yes i do know it has lost a lot of what it use too be about and some players/fans don't rate it anymore
Maybe it's because i have such fond memories of the FA Cup pre-skysports era when the FA Cup Final use to be a day long event and Match of the Day use to start at 9am and have a big build up to the match...
I know when Benitez put a reserve team out against Burnley a few years ago and lost there was outrage from most Liverpool fans about why he hadn't taken the cup seriously..
I still believe there is a little romance still left in the FA Cup

You must be of a similar age to me LL as I remember exactly the day-long build-up to the Final with fondness. As to the romance of the cup - what about the big teams being drawn to play the non-League clubs away? Tie switched, non-League club been given a great day out and loads of equipment as well as the gate-money split, keeping them going for years. Ah the romance  :D
Anyone travelling to Leeds to work/study are welcome to join St. Benedicts Harps GAA in Leeds.

SouthArmaghBandit

It's the total over the top hyper-bore from the BBC that pisses me off! There may well be "Romance" or "Magic" associated with the FA Cup but the BBC sicken my hole with the shite they broadcast.

Times have changed. You can't turn the clock back to the 1950s when the Cup was more important than the the league. All this BBC shite is accually putting me off the cup. I think you're right BTW - they hype it to death because it's all they have.

pintsofguinness

What game is on the BBC live today?
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

SouthArmaghBandit

There's one at 1.00 involving a non league team and at 5 .00 Villa Res v Utd Res.

pintsofguinness

There's no game on my bbc at 1  :-\

I was thinking I heard them saying the utd game was on but the fixtures on aertel have all the games being earlier than the bbc coverage.
Very confusing.
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

The Real Laoislad

You'll Never Walk Alone.

The Real Laoislad

Some shocks on the cards

Cambridge 1
Wolves 0

Huddersfield 1
Birmingham 0

Bristol City 1
Middlesborough 0

You'll Never Walk Alone.

ONeill

It's a great competition. Nice to read about smaller clubs on a weekend.

Worst memories - Wrexham in 92. Giggs in 99. Owen in 01,
Best - Anelka in 98. Parlour in 02. Wright in 93.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.