The 2008 US Election thread

Started by Gabriel_Hurl, January 04, 2008, 02:35:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Who will win?

Obama
McCain

Tyrones own

I'll Give you an hour to stop talking about me like that HB ;) :D
Where all think alike, no one thinks very much.
  - Walter Lippmann

Tyrones own

QuoteObama Hosting Pricey Party in Hard Times
The price tag for President-elect Barack Obama's inauguration gala is expected to break records, with some estimates reaching as high as $150 million.

Tut Tut.... and the country on it's knees :o Change...some change alright ::)
  - Walter Lippmann

J70

Quote from: Tyrones own on January 18, 2009, 03:43:48 PM
QuoteObama Hosting Pricey Party in Hard Times
The price tag for President-elect Barack Obama's inauguration gala is expected to break records, with some estimates reaching as high as $150 million.

Tut Tut.... and the country on it's knees :o Change...some change alright ::)

What do you care? You're not paying for it. While the DC security lockdown and the swearing-in ceremony are covered by the tax payer, all the rest of the bill is paid for privately. Should give the local economy a nice wee boost too at a difficult time. Isn't that what you would tell us if the shoe was on the other foot? That people spending money is good? ;)

How does the bill compare when inflation-adjusted, out of interest?

pintsofguinness

I think Tyrones own is a sore loser. 

:)
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

J70

Pete Seeger and Bruce Springsteen rehearsing This Land Is Your Land for the inaugural concert...

That should have the right wingers frothing at the mouth! :D ;D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BFoFTQEC6ws

Oraisteach

Should be the National Anthem.  Like the verses in this version.  Good old Woody Guthrie.

ziggysego

here's a web applet that lets you turn your picture into an Obama Obey-style motivational Poster like this one:

http://obamiconme.pastemagazine.com/
Testing Accessibility

longrunsthefox

I have to say i have become much less exciting about all this Obama messiah hype. It is all a bit sad millions spent on an inaguration and great rejoicing days after 300-400 children have been blown to pieces in Gaza. Obama spoke about this a few weeks ago and was very mealy mouthed... I suppose he has to kep the jewish lobby on board which begs the question, how much can he really do?     

J70

Well what is anyone else across the planet doing about it?

Of course Obama has to tread carefully - its a very divisive issue. And given that his policy over the past two months has been that there can only be one president at a time, even if he did have something very forceful to say about it, his stated position was that it wasn't his place to do so until Jan 20th.

Tyrones own

QuoteHow does the bill compare when inflation-adjusted, out of interest?

What... the 40 milion that Bush spent verses Obamas 150 million..FFS :D
And remember Washington were up in arms over the 40 million 4 yrs ago,
Strangely not a peep out of them now, Hypocrisy of the highest order ::)
And by Jaysus theres going to be some work done on the 20th by all accounts :o
  - Walter Lippmann

J70

Quote from: Tyrones own on January 19, 2009, 12:37:12 AM
QuoteHow does the bill compare when inflation-adjusted, out of interest?

What... the 40 milion that Bush spent verses Obamas 150 million..FFS :D
And remember Washington were up in arms over the 40 million 4 yrs ago,
Strangely not a peep out of them now, Hypocrisy of the highest order ::)
And by Jaysus theres going to be some work done on the 20th by all accounts :o

2004 was the only other inauguration, was it?

And so each side is full of hypocrites, like we didn't know that. Poor, persecuted, republican victims.

Tyrones own

No not at all but it was the most recent Where by the Democrats were beside themselves with the
How dare he, shite doesn't stink attitude towards W's outrageous expenditure... yes 4 yrs ago

QuoteAnd so each side is full of hypocrites,

Has been my sole endeavor to have you boy's admit that rather than the Hypocritical Hating that's been evident here!... Thank you :)

QuotePoor, persecuted, republican victims.

Oh FFS...Please, spare me the Petty, Bitter Sarcasm...Keep it real J, if your facts are in order it shouldn't be that difficult..

What do you care? You're not paying for it. While the DC security lockdown and the swearing-in ceremony are covered by the tax payer, all the rest of the bill is paid for privately.

Give me the link to where you found that cause the only figures I can find is that his Inaugurational committee has raised 41 million to date...
..I'm no mathematician J but something doesn't look right about that.. that's where i was going with the inflation piece :P

- Walter Lippmann

carribbear

I see the worlds peacemaker Bono has got himself stuck into the festivities in washington.
Kinda makes you want to get ill when you see all these celebrities coming out of the woodwork professing their support for a political candidate.
In the current circumstances this money would be better spent elsewhere.

J70

Quote from: Tyrones own on January 19, 2009, 02:28:09 AM

No not at all but it was the most recent Where by the Democrats were beside themselves with the
How dare he, shite doesn't stink attitude towards W's outrageous expenditure... yes 4 yrs ago

QuoteAnd so each side is full of hypocrites,

Has been my sole endeavor to have you boy's admit that rather than the Hypocritical Hating that's been evident here!... Thank you :)

I recall saying that a number of times here myself. However, you never seem to stop with the indignation (feigned or otherwise) yourself.

QuotePoor, persecuted, republican victims.

Oh FFS...Please, spare me the Petty, Bitter Sarcasm...Keep it real J, if your facts are in order it shouldn't be that difficult..

You're the one crying about hypocrisy.

The right wing never, ever stops complaining about getting a raw deal. They're worse than the unionists with their longing for victimhood, whether its christians or white males or the victims of the media whatever.

What do you care? You're not paying for it. While the DC security lockdown and the swearing-in ceremony are covered by the tax payer, all the rest of the bill is paid for privately.

Give me the link to where you found that cause the only figures I can find is that his Inaugurational committee has raised 41 million to date...
..I'm no mathematician J but something doesn't look right about that.. that's where i was going with the inflation piece :P

Well allegedly (Media Matters) that Bush figure from four years back did not include the security costs, and given that 2 million people didn't show up to wish him well, it would hardly be surprising if the costs of security and so on to host all those people were a lot less, even if they were included.

Anyway, a bit of searching around will show that the taxpayer, through the congressional inauguration committee, local governments and the feds covers the ceremony and security, while Obama's presidential inauguration committee covers all the balls and the hoopla surrounding the ceremony and so on. Here's one...

http://money.cnn.com/2009/01/16/news/economy/inauguration_costs/index.htm

Declan

QuotePete Seeger and Bruce Springsteen rehearsing This Land Is Your Land for the inaugural concert...

Great stuff J70 - always loved that song