Started by Gabriel_Hurl, January 04, 2008, 02:35:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Who will win?

Obama
McCain

J70

Quote from: magickingdom on August 28, 2008, 10:03:01 PM

Quote from: Gabriel_Hurl on August 28, 2008, 03:06:40 PM
Anyone watch the 2 Clinton's speeches the last 2 nights?

The Democrats unifying?

obama might have a bit of a problem here. a poll taken before he selected his vp had 26% oh hillarys supporters not voting for him and one taken after he nominated biden showed 50% of hillarys 18m voters not voting for him (they were not all voting mccain, just not voting obama). i must say as one who was hoping hillary would get the nomination obama aint doing much for me, sure he beats bush hands down but so does mccain. it might be alot closer than some people think

At this point, I think McCain is going to win it. Obviously circumstances can cause big swings, but the Republican dirty tricks machine is going to go into overdrive over the coming weeks. Expect to see plenty of rumours and whispers e.g. one reported in the NY Times this week where some hick said he wasn't voting for Obama because he had received an email saying that Obama had refused to shake hands with the troops in Afghanistan. The gentleman in question didn't know if it was true, and he didn't have time to do some research, so he was just going to play safe and not vote for him!

In addition to all that, Obama's inexperience is genuinely going to be an issue for an awful lot of people. He's been a US senator for just three and a half years, two of which he has been running for president. Apart from that he was a state senator in Illinois and a law professor. Compare that to recent presidents, all of whom have been either governors or vice-presidents. You have to go back to Eisenhower for the last one who was neither, but you could hardly say he had a hole in his resume when it came to leadership, administration and foreign relations. Obama is going to have to convince a lot of people that he will be up to the job.

Of course, McCain is also a senator, but he has been around a very long time and has fostered an image of himself as an independent maverick who can get things done, reaching across the aisles to work on quite a number of issues.

magpie seanie

QuoteI would not be surpised to see Obama contrast Biden's loss of his wife and baby in a car accident right after he originally won his senate seat with McCain's leaving his first wife when she was recovering from a car accident

I would be shocked if that happened.

J70

Quote from: magpie seanie on August 28, 2008, 10:51:52 PM
QuoteI would not be surpised to see Obama contrast Biden's loss of his wife and baby in a car accident right after he originally won his senate seat with McCain's leaving his first wife when she was recovering from a car accident

I would be shocked too if something like that came out in an official campaign ad, with the "I'm Obama and I approve of this message" bit. I'd even be surprised if some of the surrogate or non-affiliated groups came out with it, but you never know in American politics.

I should correct what I said there too - his wife's accident occurred when he was a POW, but she numerous operations afterwards, leaving her five inches shorter, disfigured and overweight (she had been a model). He basically traded her in for a much younger, better looking (and filthy rich) woman. I suppose you don't know how you would act until you are in that situation i.e. POW unknowingly returning after years in captivity to find a wife who's undergone an awful, disfiguring trauma as well, but it doesn't say a lot for his "family values" which seems to be such a big part of the republican party's "appeal".

magickingdom

Quote from: J70 on August 28, 2008, 11:08:41 PM

I would be shocked too if something like that came out in an official campaign ad, with the "I'm Obama and I approve of this message" bit. I'd even be surprised if some of the surrogate or non-affiliated groups came out with it, but you never know in American politics.

I should correct what I said there too - his wife's accident occurred when he was a POW, but she numerous operations afterwards, leaving her five inches shorter, disfigured and overweight (she had been a model). He basically traded her in for a much younger, better looking (and filthy rich) woman. I suppose you don't know how you would act until you are in that situation i.e. POW unknowingly returning after years in captivity to find a wife who's undergone an awful, disfiguring trauma as well, but it doesn't say a lot for his "family values" which seems to be such a big part of the republican party's "appeal".

youd do the republicans dirty tricks dept proud there j70... bit harsh

i agree with you about mccain having a very good chance of winning it tho. he has down a remarkable job in differentiating himself from george bush. most people want bush out and mccain aint seen as bush 2 (or 3!)

J70

Quote from: magickingdom on August 28, 2008, 11:34:41 PM
Quote from: J70 on August 28, 2008, 11:08:41 PM

youd do the republicans dirty tricks dept proud there j70... bit harsh

i agree with you about mccain having a very good chance of winning it tho. he has down a remarkable job in differentiating himself from george bush. most people want bush out and mccain aint seen as bush 2 (or 3!)

I did qualify what I said by saying that you don't know what goes on between two people, particularly a couple that underwent the respective and joint traumas that they did. Neither the physical nor mental anguish can have been easy for them.

Nevertheless, it cannot be (and is not) denied that he "traded her in for a much younger, better looking (and filthy rich) woman." :P

magickingdom

Pangurban

What about the Elephant in the room which no one will mention publicly, but is the one real difficulty for Obama to get over, you all know what im talking about. There is a chauvinistic, right wing element among the democrats who will find it difficult to vote, despite their having the best candidate by a country mile

Gabriel_Hurl

Well - that was some extravaganza

heganboy

a very electable speech, candidate, well maybe not so much...
Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity

Tyrones own

Sounded great no doubt, he's def going to get some amount of work done when he gets in ;)
Actually am looking forward to the debates though...
Where all think alike, no one thinks very much.
  - Walter Lippmann

heganboy

looking like pawlenty is the mccain vp...

Tyrones own

A little surprised, I would have thought Romney :-\
Where all think alike, no one thinks very much.
  - Walter Lippmann

Hound

Quote from: J70 on August 28, 2008, 10:09:37 PM
Quote from: The GAA on August 28, 2008, 03:12:57 PM

McCain can pull a master stroke here and nominate a woman as his running mate to woo the disenfranchised hillary fans

The has been speculation that the  governor of Alaska, Sarah Palin, would be chosen by McCain (she's actually very attractive, in a glasses plus hair-tied back secretary kind of way! :P),

heganboy

Aghdavoyle