The 2008 US Election thread

Started by Gabriel_Hurl, January 04, 2008, 02:35:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Who will win?

Obama
McCain

heganboy

the story going around is that Rudy will announce tomorrow he's quitting and throw his support behind McCain with an eye on VP
Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity

Declan

I see Edwards has withdrawn from the Dem race.
Guiliani confirmed as out - Good riddance

gallsman

Quote from: saffron on January 29, 2008, 08:55:03 PM
QuoteI hope she finishes dead last, she is an absolute disaster.

Think if theres gonna be a Democratic President she needs to win cause I reckon the Republicans will take Obama apart. Style over substance it seems to me - being a media darling will only take him to the Democratic nomination no further.

And the Republicans won't take Hillary apart?! She's perhaps the most loathed Democrat other than her husband! Obama has the intelligence, charisma and ability to attract independents and undecided Republicans, of whom there will be many, particularly if McCain gets the nod, which is looking likely as he will be carrying the most momentum into Super Tuesday. Whateer about Giuliani's disaster, his voice will still carry a lot of weight for whomever he decides to back, again likely to be McCain.

stephenite

Almost Super Chooseday - anyone prepared to call a front runner come Wed nite? I think Obama might just about have the momentum he needs, but it's on a knife edge from what I can tell, our US based cousins might be able to tell us more

Owenmoresider

Republicans - McCain will have it sown up. and hopefully goes all the way then.
Democrats - Clinton probably, but it seems that the polls suggest little to choose between them.

It'll all be unfolding by this time tomorrow in any case.

heganboy

most of the polls show clinton just shading it in the dems but the Obama camp has been making great strides in the last week or so( the kennedy endorsement has generated a massive PR coverage). I think by wednesday you'll see Obama may just have a couple of percent advantage, but this will go right to the wire which means 3-4 more months of this carry on.

Mc Cain looks like he's going to do the job, but Id say its far from as clear cut as the polls are making it. Romney could take California, and a few others besides. He's pitching himself as conservative and as being a better man for the economy, in a lot of the southern states thats what they're looking for. Huckabee's presence may however draw votes away from Romney allowing McCain an easier run.

David McKeown

It really could come down to the super delegates this year for the democrats, although Michigan and Florida may have something to say about that.  If it does Hillary I believe is currently well ahead going by the number of super delegates that have declared.
2022 Allianz League Prediction Competition Winner

AZOffaly

Anywhere online to watch exit polls etc?

cavan4ever

AZOffaly

Arnie? Is there an election for Governer in California as well?

stew

Quote from: cavan4ever on February 05, 2008, 10:35:43 AM
How is Arnie getting on?
:D

Arnie gets on twice a week, on tuesdays and thursdays.
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

heganboy

arnie and his missus have endorsed Obama

stew

McCain for President, if it has to be a democrat I hope obama gets the nod, the most articulate and intelligent of all the candidates and if clinton gets it i will be moving back home, the thought of four years and possibly eight years being led by thon would be enough to make me bail out and head back to Armagh. :'(

stew

Quote from: heganboy on February 05, 2008, 04:20:22 PM
arnie and his missus have endorsed Obama

Eh Arnie didnt, his wife did though. Arnie is a republician.

AZOffaly

Quote from: stew on February 05, 2008, 04:20:27 PM
McCain for President, if it has to be a democrat I hope obama gets the nod, the most articulate and intelligent of all the candidates and if clinton gets it i will be moving back home, the thought of four years and possibly eight years being led by thon would be enough to make me bail out and head back to Armagh. :'(

Where you'd be led by Paisley and McGuinness :D

Of course you could come down south and be led by Bertie :D