Halifax Scam

Started by illdecide, January 03, 2008, 02:14:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DickyRock

@illdecide

Is it the UK halifax or the Irish Halifax?

Weird how they got your details. You sure there isn't some kind of spyware on your PC. A mate a work had credit card fraud - got new cards but the fraud kept happening. Rebuilt his pc and the problem went away.

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

Sorry, but call me old fashioned, but I do all my financial transactions person to person (worst case by phone).
Computer is grand for this, but I would be paranoid about using it for money matters!
Tbc....

illdecide

Quote from: DickyRock on January 04, 2008, 03:02:25 AM
@illdecide

Is it the UK Halifax or the Irish Halifax?

Weird how they got your details. You sure there isn't some kind of spyware on your PC. A mate a work had credit card fraud - got new cards but the fraud kept happening. Rebuilt his PC and the problem went away.

UK Halifax. In fairness to Halifax they were on the ball straight away and i only found last night they were phoning everywhere yesterday morning looking me about this matter, they phoned the house my old mob no and my old work (obviously i didn't tell them about change of jobs and phone No's)

The also advised me to get an up to date anti-virus/firewall system in and run it on my PC to make sure this does not happen again. I work in a small civil consultancy which run AVAST anti-virus software, i hope this is sufficient as I'm not up to date on this anti-virus shit.
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

MW

Quote from: Take Your Points on January 03, 2008, 08:21:48 PM
Here's a picture of one of several "emails" from the Halifax.........

I have deleted part of the link.

You can see how it looks like the real thing.

Always thought there was something a bit suspect about that Howard fella...

Donagh

How do you manage to squirrel away £3.5k without the wife knowing?

dubinhell

The English in that e-mail is a bit dodgy. "and is obligatory to follow", "the Halifax internet banking", "We earnestly ask you"

Sounds like it orginated in Asia somewhere.

Quote from: Take Your Points on January 03, 2008, 08:21:48 PM
Here's a picture of one of several "emails" from the Halifax.........

I have deleted part of the link.

You can see how it looks like the real thing.

illdecide

Quote from: Donagh on January 04, 2008, 11:22:38 AM
How do you manage to squirrel away £3.5k without the wife knowing?

She has her cash and i have mine. She uses her's for whatever she wants and i do the same with mine only i usually let on i'm broke and borrow a score note of her (not for being miserable but just to let her think i've nothing in the bank and she does not come looking for £1000 for something new ;) ;))

Anyway good news. Halifax phoned me earlier to tell me that the money has been put back in my account but my online service is frozen untill i re-rigester (apparently it's in the post)
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

The Biff

I agree with those who say that you should work on the basis that 100% of these emails are scams.

I have one other tip to offer.  Where the email contains a link for you to click on and you are curious if it might be real, just position your pointer on it BUT DO NOT CLICK.  Then look at the "Status Bar" on the bottom of your Browser window.  Usually, this will show you the actual web address that the link will lead you to.

If the web address begins with an IP address (i.e. 4 numbers linked with dots, something like 12.345.67.890) then I would bet a thousand quid that it is a Scam link.  The web address should be the same as the text of the link that you see in the email.  No reputable Bank or Financial Inst would do otherwise.  If the web address (particularly the first part of it, up to the ".com" or ".ie" bit) does not look exactly like what you would expect it to be for your Bank, then delete the email.

Try it on this link.  I know virtually nothing about the language that makes up web pages like this one, but posting on pages like this has thought me enough to create a link like this

http://www.yourhonestbank.com/ConfirmYourDetails

Hover over this link to see what I mean (dont worry, it's not a real link at all at all) and why you should not click on it.
Never argue with a fool; He'll bring you down to his level and then beat you on experience.

redcard

Alert! Your Online Access Has Been suspended
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Your Online Banking Profile has Been Blocked

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dear valued client,

For your security, your online banking profile has been locked due to inactivity or because of too many failed login attempts.

We have decided to put an extra verification process to ensure your identity and your internet banking account security.
Please click on the Log on below to re-activate your account.

Abbey National plc©
Security & Privacy Team

Just got this one from Abbey National.co.uk

The login button has revistacatapulta.com

Hardy

I get a good few of these every week along with dozens offering me help with the dimensions of the todger. (How did they find out about my inadequacies in that department? I didn't even know it myself until these lads educated me about the heft that any self-respecting love machine should be sporting).

Still I absent-mindedly nearly fell for one purporting to be from Ebay, offering me "power user" status with all sorts of bonuses. Can't be any harm, says I and actually clicked on the link, which came up with an Ebay lookalike site, before I woke up and realised I was about to give my Ebay account details to some robber. He still wouldn't have had access to my credit card details, but I assume he could have bought gear from Ebay on my card.

Anyway, the lesson is that you have to be very vigilant - not all phishing comes disguised as bank correspondence.

Tyrones own

http://clarkhoward.com/

I log on to this website now and again for info on this stuff, he has a radio programme on here everyday
also based on how not to get ripped off, some fantastic tips and advice.
Glad that worked out for you illdecide.
Where all think alike, no one thinks very much.
  - Walter Lippmann

turk

Quote from: The Biff on January 04, 2008, 03:32:10 PM
I agree with those who say that you should work on the basis that 100% of these emails are scams.

I have one other tip to offer.  Where the email contains a link for you to click on and you are curious if it might be real, just position your pointer on it BUT DO NOT CLICK.  Then look at the "Status Bar" on the bottom of your Browser window.  Usually, this will show you the actual web address that the link will lead you to.

If the web address begins with an IP address (i.e. 4 numbers linked with dots, something like 12.345.67.890) then I would bet a thousand quid that it is a Scam link.  The web address should be the same as the text of the link that you see in the email.  No reputable Bank or Financial Inst would do otherwise.  If the web address (particularly the first part of it, up to the ".com" or ".ie" bit) does not look exactly like what you would expect it to be for your Bank, then delete the email.

Try it on this link.  I know virtually nothing about the language that makes up web pages like this one, but posting on pages like this has thought me enough to create a link like this

Hover over this link to see what I mean (dont worry, it's not a real link at all at all) and why you should not click on it.

The link doesn't work biff!

:P

Lecale2

I have sent you all my cash. Great scam. Well done.

redcard

Quote from: turk on January 04, 2008, 04:48:45 PM
Quote from: The Biff on January 04, 2008, 03:32:10 PM

The link doesn't work biff!

:P

Yes it does. It says classicscam.com/GonnaStealAllYourCash

Seany

You should have closed the account when the bastards starting sponsoring the greedy fellas.  How could you have luck when you put your money to such a terrible cause as the GPA...