Yahoo's Greatest Sportsman Poll

Started by ONeill, January 03, 2008, 12:07:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Minder

Quote from: Bogball XV on January 04, 2008, 02:52:27 PM
Quote from: Rav67 on January 04, 2008, 01:17:08 PM
Absolutely has to be one of Federer, Woods or Mayweather.  Federer would get my vote.

As regards Ali, I think Ring magazine which is always a good barometer in boxing consider Sugar Ray Robinson to be the greatest boxer of all time.
A lot of you are mentioning Mayweather, I can't really comment, which says it all really.  Until boxing sorts itself out and becomes a real sport again nobody really knows.  I mean Mayweather was 4/6 to beat Hatton last month, what price Federer to beat Henman or Woods to beat Barry Lane?
I imagine Federer has a much better percentage record than Woods, but then I don't think conditions and luck are as much of a factor in tennis as they invariably are in golf.
For me it's Woods, as someone else pointed out he's revolutionised the game and its following, Federer just serves to make tennis more boring?

Well he makes it boring if you have no appreciation for seeing a master at work and perhaps the greatest tennis player that has ever lived before your eyes.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

The Claw

Its a difficult area when discussing the records of various sportsmen. People will argue that Mayweather has won every competition he has entered in in his sport and Woods hasnt come close to that. However one must realise that Woods is facing 50 or 60 other players in a game where one mistake is crucial. It is truly remarkable that he can be so dominant. If and when he passes 18 majors, he will take this throne. Maywaeather is fighting one on one, albeit supposedly against the best boxers in the world, but one on one all the same. That is not to doubt the man's ability, i believe if there was a a proper, olympic style pro boxing tournament, Mayweather would come out on top.
Posters may argue that Federer is playing one on one also, but really he is competing again with tens of players to win a tournament, and his ability to keep winning is incredible. However could it be argued that in Tennis, putting one shot astray, or even putting 14/15 shots astray in a match is not fatal like it is in golf?

As for Tom Brady, the man is perfection, he was so before he had the weapons of Moss and Welker and will go down as the greatest QB of all time. I truly believe that if Brady played with the Dolphins/Jets etc, they would be a whole lot better.

I think Kenenisa Bekele could go on to be one of the greatest athletes of all time, already holding 5000m and 10,000m records.