Yahoo's Greatest Sportsman Poll

Started by ONeill, January 03, 2008, 12:07:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Minder

Quote from: thejuice on January 03, 2008, 09:36:19 AM
I'd go with Tom Brady or Tiger Woods, to be honest I never watch tennis, soccer or basketball and i dont think theres a dominant rugby player so to speak. But there you have my un-informed opinion anyway,

Juice not sure i would have Brady, has had a great season but without Moss, Welker and his offensive line he would not have anything like the numbers he has had. For me its Federer/Woods with very little to choose, i dont see that Federer not winning Fench Open tarnishes his reputation too much. Agassi won all four grand slams but nobody would say he was as good as Federer.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

rory

Bjørndalen is one of the greatest Olympians ever and is the greatest biathlete ever.  I know most people have never heard of him but just because his sport isn't that popular, doesn't make him any less of an ahtlete.....

Bjørndalen has won five Olympic Gold medals (more than anyone in biathlon), and nine World Championship gold medals. In addition, he has a record 77 individual Biathlon World Cup victories, and became the first biathlete ever to win a FIS Cross Country World Cup race, in Gällivare, Sweden in 2006. He is also the only biathlete who has won every singles event during the same Winter Olympic Games, in Salt Lake City 2002, and just the third Olympian to win four gold medals during the same Winter Games

thejuice

Quote from: Minder on January 03, 2008, 01:13:14 PM
Quote from: thejuice on January 03, 2008, 09:36:19 AM
I'd go with Tom Brady or Tiger Woods, to be honest I never watch tennis, soccer or basketball and i dont think theres a dominant rugby player so to speak. But there you have my un-informed opinion anyway,

Juice not sure i would have Brady, has had a great season but without Moss, Welker and his offensive line he would not have anything like the numbers he has had. For me its Federer/Woods with very little to choose, i dont see that Federer not winning Fench Open tarnishes his reputation too much. Agassi won all four grand slams but nobody would say he was as good as Federer.

Thats indeed true, with American football you'll never get anywhere without your team-mates, the only player who i can think of that succeeded without a decent team was Barry Sanders but of course the Lions never won anything major. Tennis golf, F1 and other one man supports are easier to read. but as I said my opinion is un-informed, I wouldnt know Roger Federer from a hole in the wall.
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

Leg End

Quote from: Puckoon on January 03, 2008, 05:32:34 AM
Of the sports I really follow Id have to go for the following shortlist:

Kaka - Soccer
Tom Brady - American Football
Kobe Bryant - Basketball
Tiger Woods - Golf
Roger the todger - Tennis

I think these are the people who are really at the top of their game in what I would class the major sports. Ive fallen away from the rugby so I cant pick a player from that code. The rest I just dont class as sportsmen. Ronnie O'Sullivan? Fernando Alonso? Just not sportsmen for me. If they are in I demand inclusion for my speed typing.

From the above list Id have to pick Tiger.

Kaka - Soccer. i watch kaka every week and alsochristiano ronaldo and although you do get the odd stroke of brilliance from kaka, christiano is at it week in week out and far more consistent... ronaldo is by far (its not even close, maybe messi would be closer) the best in the world at the minute

Tom Brady - American Football ( wouldnt disagree with you here but think peyton manning is the future of this sport. he is already breaking records. outstanding quarter back and would get my vote)

Kobe Bryant - Basketball ( i would definately vote steve nash.. for a man of his size to be so dominant in his sport, he leads the assists every year, think he has the mvp 2 maybe 3 years running and is so exciting to watch and very humble unlike kobe bryant.)

Tiger Woods - Golf (goes without saying by far the best golfer out there at the moment even when he has an off couple of days could threaten to take the competion for that week.... if he was 8 shots of the lead going into the final day you still wouldn't write him off

Roger the todger - Tennis definately his trophies speak for themselves
we're here for a good time, not a long time

thejuice

Quote from: Leg End on January 03, 2008, 02:48:03 PM

Tom Brady - American Football ( wouldnt disagree with you here but think peyton manning is the future of this sport. he is already breaking records. outstanding quarter back and would get my vote)

Manning(31) is older than Brady(30) and Brady just broke Mannings TD record and just about every other passing record for a quarterback this season.
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

behind the wire

Quote from: Bogball XV on January 03, 2008, 11:47:23 AM
Quote from: nifan on January 03, 2008, 10:26:54 AM
Tiger Woods or Roger Federer are possibly the greatest individuals to EVER play their sport  - how many on that list could you say that about?
Is federer that much better than Borg, Sampras, Laver?  I don't know, just asking.  Laver did the grand slam twice, probably less competititive, but as Derry said in '93, you can only beat what's put in front of you ;)
Woods is probably better than Nicklaus, but Hogan, Jones, who'll ever know.
That aside, they are probably the 2 best sportsmen in the world at the minute.

i think mr mayweather might have something to say about that!!!

and although i dont like him i have to admit that i have great respect for him.
He who laughs last thinks the slowest

Puckoon

Kaka - Soccer
Kobe Bryant - Basketball
Tiger Woods - Golf

I think these are the people who are really at the top of their game in what I would class the major sports. Ive fallen away from the rugby so I cant pick a player from that code. The rest I just dont class as sportsmen. Ronnie O'Sullivan? Fernando Alonso? Just not sportsmen for me. If they are in I demand inclusion for my speed typing.

Kaka - Soccer. i watch kaka every week and alsochristiano ronaldo and although you do get the odd stroke of brilliance from kaka, christiano is at it week in week out and far more consistent... ronaldo is by far (its not even close, maybe messi would be closer) the best in the world at the minute

Kobe Bryant - Basketball ( i would definately vote steve nash.. for a man of his size to be so dominant in his sport, he leads the assists every year, think he has the mvp 2 maybe 3 years running and is so exciting to watch and very humble unlike kobe bryant.)

Tiger Woods - Golf (goes without saying by far the best golfer out there at the moment even when he has an off couple of days could threaten to take the competion for that week.... if he was 8 shots of the lead going into the final day you still wouldn't write him off

I went for Kaka simply because Id have him on my team ahead of the rest. Guess in my opinion that makes him the best. C Ronaldo cant lace his boots IMHO

Brady is already being mentioned in the same breath as the greats - Manning is great, but I dont think hes even close to being comparable. In terms of the greatness in their sport Brady is top dog

Bryant for me makes the game worth watching. Steve Nash is a superb player no doubting that. Maybe this is the only choice youve made that Id come close to agreeing with you on.

Our Nail Loney

dec

Our Nail Loney

TacadoirArdMhacha

That a logic that suggests it has to be Mayweather. At the very top of his sport having never been beaten. Woods and Federer are beaten in majors all the time.

Fair enough its a bit of a false arguement in that both men compete in as many tournaments a year as Mayweather has had fights in his life. Still very hard to argue with a man whose reached the top in his sport and retains a perfect record.
As I dream about movies they won't make of me when I'm dead

Chrisowc

it's 'circle the wagons time again' here comes the cavalry!

BallyhaiseMan

Lads where the f**k is Peter Canavan?

complaint sent to yahoo.

Minder

Quote from: Puckoon on January 03, 2008, 05:34:01 PM

Kaka - Soccer
Kobe Bryant - Basketball
Tiger Woods - Golf

I went for Kaka simply because Id have him on my team ahead of the rest. Guess in my opinion that makes him the best. C Ronaldo cant lace his boots IMHO

Brady is already being mentioned in the same breath as the greats - Manning is great, but I dont think hes even close to being comparable. In terms of the greatness in their sport Brady is top dog
Bryant for me makes the game worth watching. Steve Nash is a superb player no doubting that. Maybe this is the only choice youve made that Id come close to agreeing with you on.

How can you say they are not comparable? Manning may not have the rings Brady has but he also has never had the defence. Manning will probably break every passing record by the time he retires.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

BallyhaiseMan

Quote from: Minder on January 03, 2008, 09:26:52 PM
Quote from: Puckoon on January 03, 2008, 05:34:01 PM

Kaka - Soccer
Kobe Bryant - Basketball
Tiger Woods - Golf

How can you say they are not comparable? Manning may not have the rings Brady has but he also has never had the defence. Manning will probably break every passing record by the time he retires.

Brady has 3 rings,Manning has 1
Manning will probably break every record as you say.
As for Manning never having a defense
Brady up to this year never had the all pro wide receivers and running backs that Manning had in Edge,Harrison and Wayne.
Its a tough one as both will go down as the two greatest ever by the time they retire i have no doubt.