I predict a disaster year for Monaghan

Started by Seany, January 02, 2008, 12:42:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Seany

All the signs are there.  Played beyond their ability last year, men who played well are now becoming famous and perhaps have forgotten the work it took last year, fatigue is setting in and the attitude mightn't be there for another tilt at the title.  Monaghan are poised for a disaster and when they finally do crash out of everything, I would ask someone to dig out this post and reflect on how I predicted it right at the start.  QUB last Sunday was just the start.  brace yourselves.  Monaghan are going DOWN!

BallyhaiseMan

i wouldnt say a Disaster year for them,but all those expecting them to be Ulster and All Ireland contenders are way off the markthey will probably stay in Div 2 in the league,
Beat Fermanagh First round,
Get tanked by either Donegal or Derry in the semi final
Win a qualifying match or two.

stew

Monaghan are an up and coming team and they will be fine. I can see them winning an AI in the next three or so years. Shure didnt they scare the mighty Kerry when nobody else could touch them.

Cue O'Neill introducing his plethora of farneyarmy non de plumes. :-[
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

cavanmaniac

I expect the original post was a bit of a WUM, but seeing as it's been brought up, I reckon Monaghan have as good a chance as anyone. There's still question marks over the leading contenders in Ulster for various reasons and the Farney lads have a genuinely inspirational manager, a great coach and work ethic, will be full of confidence and are still a very young team.

Only a fool would say they'll definitely win Sam in '08 but it'd be also a bit daft to write them off. They have work ahead of them alright but they have the appetite for it.

Hardy

The second year is always a telling test OK. If you improve, you're probably the real deal. If you make no progress or slip back, then goodbye. Monaghan are better situated than many in their position because they have a top notch manager, who will probably be aware of the extra push that will be needed this year. 

We face the same test and 2008 will tell us nearly everything we need to know about our team and management. Just the same as 2006 did about Dublin, except they don't seem to have copped on yet.*

*This observation is based less on reasoned football analysis than on the need not to let 2008 get too far gone before having a dig at the dubs.

INDIANA

i'm amazed at the amount of people tipping Meath for Leinster- personally i would n't give them any chance of getting within 5 points of us. At the end of the day we lost to the all -ireland champions- they lost to a bloody average Cork team.
I think Monaghan will be fine- plenty of young excellent footballers who will get to the last 4 this year. In my view last year will have brought them on a ton.

Star Spangler

Quote from: INDIANA on January 02, 2008, 11:33:12 AM
i'm amazed at the amount of people tipping Meath for Leinster- personally i would n't give them any chance of getting within 5 points of us. At the end of the day we lost to the all -ireland champions- they lost to a bloody average Cork team.
I think Monaghan will be fine- plenty of young excellent footballers who will get to the last 4 this year. In my view last year will have brought them on a ton.
Meath beat Tyrone last year which is something the dubs couldn't do.  :P

the Deel Rover

Nobody remembers losers indiana winning is All that matters and we in Mayo should know
Crossmolina Deel Rovers
All Ireland Club Champions 2001

Hardy

Indiana, it's delicious to see Dubs making puffed-chest predictions in January (why should this year be different to any other?). So really I should leave you alone and let you and your tens of thousands of mates continue to heap pressure on your team with proclamations of 5-points-plus superiority to the mere cannon fodder that Meath and the rest of Leinster provide. .

But on what basis do you expect Dublin to improve and/or Meath to deteriorate from last year to the extent that you predict? On all known precedent it would seem unreasonable to expect improvement to be conjured from nowhere for the team that has tried and serially failed, but reasonable to expect some improvement from a new, young team that has already shown the ability to make progress.

Star Spangler

If Caffrey hasn't done it by now he's never going to do it.  Other managers (such as Kiernan, Harte and a plethora of Kerry managers) had their All Ireland wins in their first couple of seasons.  Meath have the look of a side that will come through strongly over the next year or two.  Winning Leinster will be difficult enough for Dublin without their supporters heaping All Ireland pressure on top of that too.

The Real Laoislad

This thread is about Monaghan and how far they will/won't go next year why do you always have to bring Dublin into everything  ::)
You'll Never Walk Alone.

INDIANA

simply because i firmly believe meath's perceived success was over-rated last year. I'm sorry but that was a bad cork team - and if meath were as good as some people think they are they'd have beaten them. That Tyrone team wasn't a patch on the one that beat us in 2005. Being brutally honest i didn't think Meath beat anyone of note last year- and that's something that can be levelled at us too but we did get close to a good Kerry team.
Overall i think Leinster is a bad standard and that includes us . i thought the standard of the leinster club championship this year was diabolical and indicative of the problems within the province. In short i don't believe any team from Leinster will win Sam but i believe we'll go closer than the rest- but that's doesn't count for much anymore- it's sam or bust for us- but i think it'll be bust for us too.
At the moment i think the leinster championship is a busted flush.

thebandit

A lot will depend on how the Freeman's v Latton boys (Eoin & Eddie Lennon, Stephen Fitz, Eoin Duffy) is sorted out.

Hardy

Indiana - my Meath-Dublin comparison was referring to the head-to-head evidence of last year. Remember we actually won that everywhere but in the referee's notebook.

Jinxy

It's a good thing for Dublin that referees won't give us a chance either or your sorry asses would have been dumped out of Leinster after your first game.
If you were any use you'd be playing.