FBD Connacht League 2009

Started by Farrandeelin, December 30, 2007, 03:47:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stephenite

Nallen and DB will have issues when it comes to lasting 70 minute championship, no question about that. Just don't think they need to be let go because of that

AbbeySider

Its so strange. This time last year we were talking about the same thing.

We still have the problems at full back and centre back....

Quote from: MaroonAndWhite on January 02, 2008, 04:21:17 PM
Who is the alternative starter at no 6....and dont say Billy Joe for jaysus sake!!!

And we were all talking about who would be retiring, blooding new players, and if there would be a clear out...

Quote from: MaroonAndWhite
If O'Mahony is to bring this Mayo team somewhere, he needs to put new blood into the team. If D Brady and Nallen (Heaney and McDonald to a lesser extent) are starters come May, ye may as well forget about it....

It remains to be seen if any of these problems can be fixed at all...  :-\  :'(

MaroonAndWhite

Quote from: stephenite on January 02, 2008, 10:16:16 PM
Agree that newer players are needed - but wouldn't rush any of the older fellas out the door just yet. DB was the year ahead of me at school all the way up, I make him 32 years of age for this season, 33 at a push. Jimmy Nallen was the year ahead of that so max 34. I played against Ciaran Mac at every age group so he's no more than 31 and Heaney probabaly a year younger again.
Getting on no doubt but still young enough to play some sort of role for the team I think.

They dont necessarily need to be dropped completely from the panel, just not started. There have been enough failed attempts with them lads on board......if they were going to be the fellas to get Sam to Mayo, it would have been there by now.

Im not overly familiar with the club scene in Mayo, maybe the alternatives just are not there but Johnno it seems is flogging dead horses. To an extent, you can understand his reluctance to change last year. They had come off a relatively successful year in 06 and he may have thought he'd knock one last crack out of them. But last year showed that wasnt in them. When he arrived in Galway he had no choice but to be radical in the changes he made to the county team with Joyce, Divilly, Savage, Clancy, Shay Walsh coming in as the county had done nothing in three years. He needs to do something along the same lines with Mayo.

You would have to admire the likes of Nallen particularly for all he's given but surely even he has come to the stage where he knows its time to step aside and let a younger fella have his chance. The four have plenty to offer as an alternative from the bench if they would be willing to do that but dont know if they would be willing to put in the training to sit gathering splinters in a no 17 jersey?

the Deel Rover

Lads i just don't think we have the players to replace the likes of Jimmy Nallen, Ciaran MC, David Brday , Kevin o'Neill, its allright saying bring in the under 21's but do they have the same qualities of the above named footballers If you go to any club match those named above still stand out as the best footballers on the pitch. There is a massive step up between under 21's and senior and is not as as simple as oh we won the under 21's we are going to have the makings of a good senior team, look at galway they have done nothing since they won the under 21's a few years ago either. I think we are going to have a few barren years ahead of us as i said in an earier thread i hope i'm proved wrong as do the galway lads i'm sure :P . I don't think there should be any pressure put on the lads to come back they have giving enough in search of that elusive celtic cross its time for the young lads to take up the baton even though i have my reservations.
Crossmolina Deel Rovers
All Ireland Club Champions 2001

the Deel Rover

Quote from: MaroonAndWhite on January 03, 2008, 09:05:23 AM
Agree that newer players are needed - but wouldn't rush any of the older fellas out the door just yet. DB was the year ahead of me at school all the way up, I make him 32 years of age for this season, 33 at a push. Jimmy Nallen was the year ahead of that so max 34. I played against Ciaran Mac at every age group so he's no more than 31 and Heaney probabaly a year younger again.
Getting on no doubt but still young enough to play some sort of role for the team I think.

They dont necessarily need to be dropped completely from the panel, just not started. There have been enough failed attempts with them lads on board......if they were going to be the fellas to get Sam to Mayo, it would have been there by now.
Im not overly familiar with the club scene in Mayo, maybe the alternatives just are not there but Johnno it seems is flogging dead horses. To an extent, you can understand his reluctance to change last year. They had come off a relatively successful year in 06 and he may have thought he'd knock one last crack out of them. But last year showed that wasnt in them. When he arrived in Galway he had no choice but to be radical in the changes he made to the county team with Joyce, Divilly, Savage, Clancy, Shay Walsh coming in as the county had done nothing in three years. He needs to do something along the same lines with Mayo.

You would have to admire the likes of Nallen particularly for all he's given but surely even he has come to the stage where he knows its time to step aside and let a younger fella have his chance. The four have plenty to offer as an alternative from the bench if they would be willing to do that but dont know if they would be willing to put in the training to sit gathering splinters in a no 17 jersey?

Sure we have had failed attempts Maroon and White but it ain't because of the lads that you have mentioned, they have giving their all if all the players were like them sam would definately have visited mayo at this stage
Crossmolina Deel Rovers

MaroonAndWhite

Quote from: the Deel Rover on January 03, 2008, 09:19:08 AM

Sure we have had failed attempts Maroon and White but it ain't because of the lads that you have mentioned, they have giving their all if all the players were like them sam would definately have visited mayo at this stage

I have no doubt that they did give it their all and its a team effort to win AI titles. They are probably four of the most honest players to pull on a Mayo jersey. But the fact is that if they were going to pull Mayo and some of the less committed/talented lads to an AI title on their coat-tails, they would have done it in their prime and not when they hit their early thirties.

the Deel Rover

Quote from: MaroonAndWhite on January 03, 2008, 09:33:31 AM
Quote from: the Deel Rover on January 03, 2008, 09:19:08 AM

I have no doubt that they did give it their all and its a team effort to win AI titles. They are probably four of the most honest players to pull on a Mayo jersey. But the fact is that if they were going to pull Mayo and some of the less committed/talented lads to an AI title on their coat-tails, they would have done it in their prime and not when they hit their early thirties.

I agree with you m+w as i said its time for the younger fella's to step up but i don't think they are up to it :(
Crossmolina Deel Rovers

turk

Hi lads,

is Knockmore's John Brogan related to former Mayo player Padraig Brogan?

the Deel Rover

I don't think so turk need one of the knockmore boys to answer that, there are a lot of brogans in "the parish of the backs"
Crossmolina Deel Rovers

MaroonAndWhite

Just a note to say I think most of the FBD fixtures on Sunday are moved to 2pm, the Galway one definitely is anyway. Check before ye hit off for Tuam, Ballinrobe, Carrick or wherever

Zulu

I'm not a Mayo man but I'd be inclined to leave the older lads off the panel if I were John O'Mahoney. Mayo won't win the AI next year with or without these guys on the panel, so why keep them there at all? Yes, their experience would be a bonus but does a strong personality and natural leader like D. Brady just stunt the development of other leaders amongst the panel? Does a talent like Ciaran Mac prevent others taking responsibility on the field?                        
                                          Someone said that these guys are still amongst the standout performers on the Mayo club scene, but I watched the Connact club championship and much of the ball David Brady won was soft ball, i.e. others won it, he demanded a pass and got it. This is often what happens with older players they get on a lot of ball not so much by their footballing abilities but by their stature within the team and some are fooled into thinking they still have what it takes by this. With the exception of MacDonald I think all the others would be exposed at IC championship level. Do you need all 4 of them for their experience? With John O'Mahoney at the helm I don't think you do, I'd probably hold on to MacDonald and one other, which would be based on personality rather than footballing ability.

Farrandeelin

Quote from: turk on January 03, 2008, 09:37:27 AM
Hi lads,

He is related to me!
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

FL/MAYO

Quote from: Farrandeelin on January 03, 2008, 07:01:33 PM
Hi lads,

He is related to me!

We are screwed then  :) ;)

Farrandeelin

Quote from: FL/MAYO on January 03, 2008, 07:16:08 PM
Quote from: Farrandeelin on January 03, 2008, 07:01:33 PM
Hi lads,

He is related to me!

We are screwed then  :) ;)

:D He's a second or third cousin so maybe we won't be too bad!
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Barney

I have to agree with a lot of what has been said about the old brigade.

James Nallen, David Brady and Kevin O'Neill were all shown up last year as being so far off the pace that a return to action should not be an option. They have been great servants, and I think Jimmy Nallen is the best Mayo player of this generation, and maybe that I have seen pull on a green and red shirt. Heaney is only 30 and some experienced hands are required, and McDonald has the class, and hopefully will have recovered sufficient fitness to be involved.

However if this transition is to be successful it is time for the younger players to stand up and be counted. They need to be given the jersies for the big games and let them sink or swim. Leadership on the pitch has been missing for too long, there should be no more passing the buck. If they want it badly enough they can succeed to a certain level, their skills will decide how far they can go. Sadly I do not think that we are replacing like with like. We will probably cobble together a decent defence and midfield over the next 2/3 years but where is the scoring threat coming from. Conor Mortimer and Alan Dillon are good players but nowhere is there the all-action, goal-scoring forwards that are going to take us to an All Ireland. And what County has won an All Ireland without at the very least one exceptional forward? It is for that reason that the loss of Pearse Hanley is so profound, and may be the difference between a decent chance of ending the famine, and more pain.

I do worry when I see JOM making excuses early in the year. There were enough smoke-screens last year. I think we will be relegated in the league but will want to see a definite long-term plan in place that will be followed by players and management. No more embarassing capitulations like Salthill or Derry last year. If the right attitude is there, so will the support.