What makes a winning team?...

Started by Thumper, December 28, 2007, 04:27:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

graham-hill16

Ye seem to be stickin with an all ulster side so heres my all ireland team of the past 10-15 years,very hard team to pick and was a close call on every position but heres me 'walkin the walk' im sure there'l be plenty of disagreement but thats what we're on here for!!!

1-Stephen Cluxton(greatest shot stopper-kept dublin in more games)
2-Paul Griffin(to me epitomizes what defending is all about)
3-Darren Fay(great footballer,solid, and showed his class once again last year)
4-Ryan McMenamin(dirty f*cker,nobody wants to be marked by him,but can get inside fellas heads and a born defender,plays well centre back too for club)
5-Tomas O'Se(pure talent,shows what it means to be a kerry player)
6-Ciarain McGeeney(true professional,great footballer,pleasure to watch)
7-Paul Curran(my hero growin up,he is football,solid in defence,hard to follow with his effective bursts forward up the line,scored a bit too!!)
8-Darragh O'Se(work horse of a man,great head,shows how well you can play with family and lifelong friends by ur side)
9-Sean Cavanagh(mountain of a man,on his day he owns football)
10-Alan Brogan(he's got a head for football that is hard matched,great vision,passes,scores,play.hopefully bring sam home this year!!!)
11-Trevor Giles(excellent footballer and free taker,pure gentleman of the game,well deserved AI medals and all stars)
12-Brian Dooher(looks like he has finished a game before it starts!extremely talented and anyone who can shut colm o rourke up has my vote!!)
13-Charlie Redmond(another hero of mine but excellent footballing mind,solid with the frees,def deserves his place)
14-Peter Canavan(well ya dont need me to tell ya!!)
15-Colm Cooper(broke my heart last year,will again im sure,amazin talent,in years to come we'l be the envy of generations for seein him play at his best)

who could take the team to glory?? sure il give Micko another crack at it,pat o neill and mickey harte as selectors!! We wont miss many frees anyway!!!! :D

screenexile

Quote from: graham-hill16 on January 18, 2008, 02:47:37 AM
Ye seem to be stickin with an all ulster side so heres my all ireland team of the past 10-15 years,very hard team to pick and was a close call on every position but heres me 'walkin the walk' im sure there'l be plenty of disagreement but thats what we're on here for!!!

1-Stephen Cluxton(greatest shot stopper-kept dublin in more games)
2-Paul Griffin(to me epitomizes what defending is all about) :o :o :o :o :o :o
3-Darren Fay(great footballer,solid, and showed his class once again last year)
4-Ryan McMenamin(dirty f*cker,nobody wants to be marked by him,but can get inside fellas heads and a born defender,plays well centre back too for club)
5-Tomas O'Se(pure talent,shows what it means to be a kerry player)
6-Ciarain McGeeney(true professional,great footballer,pleasure to watch)
7-Paul Curran(my hero growin up,he is football,solid in defence,hard to follow with his effective bursts forward up the line,scored a bit too!!)
8-Darragh O'Se(work horse of a man,great head,shows how well you can play with family and lifelong friends by ur side)
9-Sean Cavanagh(mountain of a man,on his day he owns football) :o :o :o :o :o
10-Alan Brogan(he's got a head for football that is hard matched,great vision,passes,scores,play.hopefully bring sam home this year!!!)
11-Trevor Giles(excellent footballer and free taker,pure gentleman of the game,well deserved AI medals and all stars)
12-Brian Dooher(looks like he has finished a game before it starts!extremely talented and anyone who can shut colm o rourke up has my vote!!)
13-Charlie Redmond(another hero of mine but excellent footballing mind,solid with the frees,def deserves his place)
14-Peter Canavan(well ya dont need me to tell ya!!)
15-Colm Cooper(broke my heart last year,will again im sure,amazin talent,in years to come we'l be the envy of generations for seein him play at his best)

who could take the team to glory?? sure il give Micko another crack at it,pat o neill and mickey harte as selectors!! We wont miss many frees anyway!!!! :D

You are having a laugh with Griffin aren't you? Tony Scullion/Kieran McKeever take your pick and then you have to include Tohill at MF because Cavanagh hasn't been around long enough this past 10-15 years to merit inclusion yet.  I would nearly discount the Gooch for that reason also and include Geraghty ahead of him simply for the fact that Geraghty was brilliant 15 years ago and still showed flashes of brilliance last year... oh and is there no room for Maurice Fitz??? Swap him with Brogan!!

Maximus Marillius

Whenever people start to pick these teams based on the past 15/20yrs and they don't include Tony Scullion...well I just stop, because they simply don't have a clue

screenexile

But Paul Griffin Max... come on he's probably the best defender in the country at the minute! ::) ::) ::) ::)

saffron sam2

Quote from: graham-hill16 on January 18, 2008, 02:47:37 AM

You're not wise, man. So playing centre back for Dromore qualifies one for the best team of the last 20 years. McMenamin would struggle to make the best two corner backs in Tyrone over that period. A one trick pony who has been sussed by most teams at this stage and who wasa liability for the bushmen last year.
the breathing of the vanished lies in acres round my feet

saffron sam2

Quote from: Maximus Marillius on January 23, 2008, 02:09:26 PM
Whenever people start to pick these teams based on the past 15/20yrs and they don't include Tony Scullion...well I just stop, because they simply don't have a clue

I spoke about this to a colleague who had a senior inter-county career as a forward that spanned a decade. He said that far and away the most difficult opponent he ever faced was Scullion. He highlighted the fact that Scullion never resorted to the dirt or the verbals and never laid a hand on him. In fact, he said that Scullion never came with a yard and a half of him, preferring to mark from that distance in front. He had a unique spatial awareness and my colleague liken him a boxer closing off his opponent in the ring.

So yes, your statement is probably true, certainly if McMenamin is being chosen ahead of him.

saffron sam2