Sporting or other person you admire that you really shouldn't

Started by T Fearon, December 21, 2007, 01:59:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

T Fearon

I'm not talking about attractive women either! This idea came to mind a few years ago when Armagh's Ger Houlahan was in his prime and declared himself a big fan of Souness , then Rangers manager, and a big issue was made of the fact that a GAA star admired a Rangers manager, though in fairness I think it was what Souness did for Liverpool that inspired Houlie's affection.

Still it got me thinking (always dangerous I know!) I myself have always been an admirer of former Rangers Captain and Manager John Greig, going back to childhood. So much so that I bought his biography (at a discounted price of course) whilst in Glasgow for the UEFA Cup Final last May. There was something about his commitment and enthusiasm I admired , though I definitely didn't approve of his goatee beard in the early 70s, which made him evil looking, and resembling Pastor Jack Glass a noted Glaswegian fundamentalist who was in his day the Scottish equivalent of Paisley for spewing out venom and sectarian hatred.

So anyone else admire anyone they really shouldn;'t?

Donagh

Bertie Ahern for his Machiavellian deviousness. Some operator...

Gabriel_Hurl

Quoteand a big issue was made of the fact that a GAA star admired a Rangers manager

was there really though?  ???

thejuice

Terrell Owens, he generally is disliked by his team-mates, considered self centred. The list of reasons to not like him is too long to post here, it would probably take up 2 pages so heres a link to his Wiki page.
( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terrell_Owens )

Either way I think he's a great player with bundles of talent and never dull to watch, but I probably dont like him as much as he likes himself

It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

The Real Laoislad

You'll Never Walk Alone.

ExiledGael

Jamie Carragher

Alan Brogan
Ciaran Whelan
Billy Morgan
Graham Geraghty

T Fearon

I am not sure you have the intellect to grasp the point of this thread. It was a person you admire that you really shouldn't. Like a Celtic fan admiring a Rangers player, a real Ireland supporter admiring a six county team player, an Armagh fan admiring a Tyrone player etc. ;D

the Deel Rover

its not a person but a county that i admire and i really shouldn't Kerry  1997, 2004, 2006 need i say more :( :(
Crossmolina Deel Rovers
All Ireland Club Champions 2001

T Fearon

You could also say Meath, in 1996. Now that was one, unlike the other three, that ye did throw away ;)

the Deel Rover

Quote from: T Fearon on December 21, 2007, 04:48:30 PM
You could also say Meath, in 1996. Now that was one, unlike the other three, that ye did throw away ;)

ah it Christmas tf why did you have to bring that up , i have erased that year from my memory ;) i was right behind the goal when coyles ball hopped over the bar it seemed like slow motion can't belief its 11 years,  anyway drank with the meath lads afterwards sound lads sure half of the county is from mayo
Crossmolina Deel Rovers
All Ireland Club Champions 2001

ONeill

I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

ExiledGael

Quote from: T Fearon on December 21, 2007, 04:43:56 PM
I am not sure you have the intellect to grasp the point of this thread. It was a person you admire that you really shouldn't. Like a Celtic fan admiring a Rangers player, a real Ireland supporter admiring a six county team player, an Armagh fan admiring a Tyrone player etc. ;D

It's not rocket science Tony, don't get carried away with yourself. Is your very helpful explanation on the matter not exactly what was happening above already. People admiring stars from teams they normally dislike. What's the point of that post?

Gnevin

Quote from: ExiledGael on December 21, 2007, 05:20:43 PM
Quote from: T Fearon on December 21, 2007, 04:43:56 PM

It's not rocket science Tony, don't get carried away with yourself. Is your very helpful explanation on the matter not exactly what was happening above already. People admiring stars from teams they normally dislike. What's the point of that post?
Like a Dub admiring a certain GG?
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

Seany

DJ Kane - a cantankarous, objectional, canaptious, angry hoor, but one whose pure head down commitment and aggression I always admired.  Does this tick the boxes, Tony?