Silliest rule in the book

Started by THEREALGRASSROOTS, December 20, 2007, 03:31:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

THEREALGRASSROOTS

What is the stupidest rule in the GAA rule book?  For the proposed 'disciplinary action', this has to be my favourite.

"A team may commence a game with thirteen players but shall have fielded fifteen players, inclusive of players ordered off or retired
injured, by the start of the second half.  In the event of failure to comply with this, the game shall continue."

If the game's gonna continue, what's the point of the rule?!

Also, Rule 11  :'(
Jazz flute is for fairies

rrhf

Dessie is this some way of sticking up for Charlie Redmond again!!
Also have a bit of manners dont shout yer name!

carnaross

The game does continue as the referee does not have the right to abandon it if there are only 13 players at the end of a Championship game - only the County Board can award a game based upon the ref's report. That's the point!!

In actual fact, both teams must have 15 players at the start of the second half of a Championship game for them to be legal.
Anyone travelling to Leeds to work/study are welcome to join St. Benedicts Harps GAA in Leeds.

Seany

The reality that any rule that does not have a penalty for non compliance attached should be scrubbed off the book because tyeh're not worth the paper they're written on

Pangurban

That Kerry must win at least 4 All Irelands in every decade

the green man

Toe behind the ball before lifting the ball of the ground. Absoloutly no skill involved. Causes far to omany frees. Do away with for with please.

Pangurban

Agree totally wth Greenman, the pick up has become farcial, and is more often abused than used, slows play, creates dangerous situations for players, is rarely done properly and is difficult if not impossible for refs. to judge if fully compliant with rules

the green man

Quote from: Pangurban on December 21, 2007, 12:56:43 AM
Agree totally wth Greenman, the pick up has become farcial, and is more often abused than used, slows play, creates dangerous situations for players, is rarely done properly and is difficult if not impossible for refs. to judge if fully compliant with rules

Thank you.

You know it's funny that we always seem to look at the AFL for hints and tips as too were we should be at, when their game is what the GAA was before all this tinkering. Not to give youse a history lesson, but we all know that the AFL game today was what the GAA was pre 1900. Same rules, same players, same numbers, same ball. Only we got anglified and tried to tamper with what we created.

ExiledGael

Quote from: the green man on December 21, 2007, 12:09:02 AM
Toe behind the ball before lifting the ball of the ground. Absoloutly no skill involved. Causes far to omany frees. Do away with for with please.

What exactly do you impliment to prevent a rugby type diving to grab possession? Possibly more dangerous.
Though I agree something needs to change.

Deal_Me_In

This is complete nonsence, the pick up is one of the basic skills of the game, like the solo, it is up to the referee to enforce the rule not do away with it because some players abuse the lack of consistancy in implementation.

Rav67

Quote from: ExiledGael on December 21, 2007, 04:20:24 PM

What exactly do you impliment to prevent a rugby type diving to grab possession? Possibly more dangerous.
Though I agree something needs to change.

What would we change though? I think its a perfectly fine rule, and I think there is some skill in the pick up and it is necessary. Football is fine as a game as it is, no need to t**ker further with any of the rules regarding the game.

TacadoirArdMhacha

Have to say I disagree I don't think there's any real skill in the current pick up. I think the game would benefit from keeping the rule that was trialled in the league a few years ago - allowing the ball to be lifted off the ground provided that the player was standing on his feet. Would avoid any rugby type dives on th ball as well.
As I dream about movies they won't make of me when I'm dead

Frank Casey

Any rule that Frank Murphy, or one of the other letter of the law men, can un-pick.

If I had one wish for the future it would be that men would be men and take their punishment.
KERRY 3:7

crossfire

To see a player bend to lift the ball while running at speed is just brilliant and is a great skill, also to flick the ball up without bending is a tremendous skill.
Perhaps the Green Man can tell us if he ever played the game at senior level and if so could he master the two methods i refer to above.

ardal

Quote from: Deal_Me_In on December 21, 2007, 05:30:16 PM

This is complete nonsence, the pick up is one of the basic skills of the game, like the solo, it is up to the referee to enforce the rule not do away with it because some players abuse the lack of consistancy in implementation.

Couldn't agree more, it's one of the basic skills of the game, the rule just needs to be enforced, to argue otherwise would be disasterous