Scarcely 100 people in Cavan tonight

Started by laoisgaa, December 19, 2007, 08:09:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

laoisgaa

The meeting of the anti-grants people has just begun in the Cavan Crystal Hotel and I have to say it's very disappointing. Scarcely 100 people in attendance

Bud Wiser

" Laois ? You can't drink pints of Guinness and talk sh*te in a pub, and play football the next day"

Bud Wiser

Well tonight thank God it's them instead of you
" Laois ? You can't drink pints of Guinness and talk sh*te in a pub, and play football the next day"

Pangurban

Its quality that counts not quantity. With the case pending at the DRA next month, there is less urgency being felt.

laoisgaa

Fermanagh Chairman backs anti-grants movement
11 counties represented at Cavan meeting
By Cóilín Duffy

Fermanagh GAA Chairman Peter Carty firmly expressed his support to the anti-government grants movement at a public meeting last night in Cavan.
Carty was concerned about whether or not any ratification or indeed discussion has taken place by the Central Council, although GAA President Nickey Brennan and other top level officials have stated that there is uniformity among the top-brass.

"I've great concern over how it happened," Carthy stated.

"I've yet to see the minutes of any meeting from Central Council to see where it was ever discussed and I feel very strongly about that."

The recently re-elected Chairman believes that there may be some mistruths in relation to the decision taken by Central Councils delegates in relation to the grants issue.

"Rumour is that the Central Council delegates gave a unanimous decision and that is one issue I would be questioning very much."

"The issue is that we get this to the GAA Congress floor at all costs. I know that we as a county are putting a motion forward.

"I don't want to see a case that we would be splitting the association but I am demanding sensible debate."

Club Derry member Seamus Mullan was firm in his belief that Government grants mean pay-for-play for the GAA, but also expressed his concern that the GPA are touting themselves as becoming an official part of the Association in the near future.

"I see that this is pay-for-play. I have no doubt in my mind that this will fundamentally change the direction of the GAA. Once this comes we are creating a division between club and county players and developing an elitist approach that will fundamentally damage the association," he said.

"Also the GPA website makes for very interesting reading, when you finish reading it you would think they will be running the GAA in the near future."

"They say they are not a trade union movement yet on their website they state that 'the gaa must recognise the GPA as a matter of urgency' and that they 'must negotiate a collective bargaining agreement."

Mullan also expressed his view that this issue is not just one for GAA members in the 32 counties but further afield also.

"This is pay for play but the fundamental issue is that this hasn't been dealt with democratically by the GAA across the world. Do they not have a voice, should their views not count? I think so."

"If the GPA are to be recognised officially that should only be decided upon at congress if they are to become the fundamentally recognised players body."

Brendan Holland, a GAA club member from Tyrone spoke from the heart at the meeting and expressed the view that GAA has cemented communities together for the past 40 years in the North.

"The GAA has become the social glue that has kept our communities together," he said.

"It's the only organisation that could do that and have an opportunity every weekend to do that however I realise the spirit of volunteerism is a diminishing one in this Celtic Tiger Era."

Grassroots members from 11 counties were represented at the meeting and with at least four counties including Fermanagh, Tyrone, Derry and Armagh, putting motions forward to GAA Congress in opposition to the grants, it's clear that this issue is not going to go away.

Zapatista

I don't think it's accurate calling it an "anti-grants movement".

I think most people have said they don't oppose grants but oppose the way it has been handled and oppose the GPA stance.

The term "anti-grants" is misleading, negative and wrong!

Maximus Marillius

Quote from: Zapatista on December 20, 2007, 08:53:06 AM
I don't think it's accurate calling it an "anti-grants movement".

I think most people have said they don't oppose grants but oppose the way it has been handled and oppose the GPA stance.

The term "anti-grants" is misleading, negative and wrong!

And what exactly is the GPA stance by your understanding....also unless I can't read and understand English the case going before the DRA is designed to prevent the grants being given to intercounty players because a minority feel it is in breach of rule 11...so it is clearly anti grants.

the green man

Let's be honest here lads, Cavan men aren't going to come out in their droves when there's money mentioned.

magpie seanie

Quotea minority feel it is in breach of rule 11...

It is a clear breach of rule 11. If it walks like a duck, quacks like a duck and looks like a duck then its a duck no matter how many times you declare with undying passion that its not a duck. And I guarantee you that the majority feel that way.

corn02

tayto

rrhf

The GPA is anti GAA, and wish to cherrypick the GAA constitution to suit their own.  They arer the anti group.  The way I see it this grouping would be pro GAA as opposed to anti anything.   

Rossfan

Quote from: magpie seanie on December 20, 2007, 09:42:27 AM
Quotea minority feel it is in breach of rule 11...

It is a clear breach of rule 11. If it walks like a duck, quacks like a duck and looks like a duck then its a duck no matter how many times you declare with undying passion that its not a duck. And I guarantee you that the majority feel that way.

Good man Seanie - i presume you have will do all in your power to make sure that the new Sligo Manager gets NOTHING but official expenses and no other monies from any other source. ;)

Where were all these people when Sean McCague was Uachtarán and asked Co Boards to investigate payments to Managers? :D
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM