A Saturday evening in the Curva Nord, in Roma

Started by T Fearon, December 19, 2007, 01:27:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

T Fearon

Great experience, although I was nearly ball freezed, at the Lazio Juve game last Saturday night. 3-2 for Juve, 2 from the ageless
Del Piero, and was impressed by the Lazio Fans (ie the ill famous ultras) who paid a moving tribute to the late Gabriele Sandri (their fellow fan murdered recently by Police at a roadside cafe), which was simultaneously reciprocated at the opposite end of the stadium by Juve fans. Also they had a great reception for Gigi Buffon when he took up position in goals for Juve at the front of the Curva Nord, where I was seated amidst the ultras, at the start of the second half

All in all great value of 17 anf a half euros. I thoroughly commend this experience should you ever get an opportunity and to top of a great weekend, I saw Christ's Official Representative on earth conduct the Angelus on Sunday, in St Peter's Square.

lynchbhoy

sounds good. Del Piero was some player.
Didnt know anywhere outside of Ireland practised the Angelus.
Food and vino good too I take it Tony?

T Fearon

Absolutely! I was married in Roma last year and have been there three times in 2007!

Apparently the Pope does the Angelus every Sunday in St Peters Square. It was like a rock gig at Slane, honestly. The crowd builds up from about 10.45 am onwards,and the atmosphere as well. At about 11.50am the window opens and a robe like fabric is draped over the sill, at which stage the excitement is palpable, just think of the pre concert scenario when the lighting crew climbs the ladders to take up positions. Then at 12 noon when he appears it is just like Springsteen or Jagger coming on stage! Everyone goes wild!

There's even three or four big screens strategically placed round the Piazza!

I never knew Religion could be so funky!

nifan

QuoteAll in all great value of 17 anf a half euros.

that is great value - did you end up getting tickets at the game or in advance?

THE MIGHTY QUINN

You mean to say a boy of your age is only married 12 months!! You got some run for your money

T Fearon

Got the tickets at the stadium. Was amazed at the crowd. 20,000 maximum. But then again Lazio only had 35,000 and 50,000 respectively for their home matches against Milan and Inter last season. The derby against Roma only seems to bring their support out.

Probably wouldn't be as easy to get tickets for a Roma game against big opponents I would say

Hurler on the Bitch

St Peter's is some gig. First time there it literally took my breath away = but then again the whole of Rome is the same. I heard that they have only two underground lines due to the fact that everytime they dig a new one they come across so more ruins and they have to leave them .. Anyway, last time there with the Mrs, we were sitting chilling at a pavement cafe one afternoon when she says that she saw the church opposite in the tour guide. Well we went over and WOW!

http://eternallycool.net/?p=728

ziggysego

Glad you had a good weekend of it Tony. Put you in the festive mood yet?
Testing Accessibility

glens73

Quote from: T Fearon on December 19, 2007, 01:27:29 PM
Great experience, although I was nearly ball freezed, at the Lazio Juve game last Saturday night. 3-2 for Juve, 2 from the ageless
Del Piero, and was impressed by the Lazio Fans (ie the ill famous ultras) who paid a moving tribute to the late Gabriele Sandri (their fellow fan murdered recently by Police at a roadside cafe), which was simultaneously reciprocated at the opposite end of the stadium by Juve fans. Also they had a great reception for Gigi Buffon when he took up position in goals for Juve at the front of the Curva Nord, where I was seated amidst the ultras, at the start of the second half

All in all great value of 17 anf a half euros. I thoroughly commend this experience should you ever get an opportunity and to top of a great weekend, I saw Christ's Official Representative on earth conduct the Angelus on Sunday, in St Peter's Square.

They gave Buffon a great reception as he is a right-wing nazi like most of them.

THE MIGHTY QUINN

They gave Buffon a great reception as he is a right-wing nazi like most of them.
[/quote]

Is that right? I was always a huge fan of his and thought his save against Zidane in the World Cup Final was the best of all time. I was also impressed at the fact that he didn't desert Juve when they were relegated. I may have to change my opinions if what you cay is correct. On what evidence are you basing this

red hander

Buffon is a well-known fascist.  Wanted the number 18 on his jersey as opposed to the normal number 1 as the 1 (A) and 8 (H) were the initials of his great hero Adolf Hitler.  Surprised Tony went to watch a Lazio game.  They were Mussolini's team, their support is well-known to be fascist, sure didn't that tosser Di Canio famously give them a Nazi salute

Evil Genius

Quote from: T Fearon on December 19, 2007, 01:27:29 PM
and to top of a great weekend, I saw Christ's Official Representative on earth conduct the Angelus on Sunday, in St Peter's Square.

Nah, can't have been him, just someone who looks like David Healy.  ;)

Btw, if you are ever in Rome on the afternoon of New Years Eve, go to the main Jesuit Church in the centre*. I happened purely by chance to be passing through the square outside when I saw something being set up, clearly very important (Crush barriers, TV rostrums etc). Turned out the then Pope (JPII) used to perform a service there every year at that time. There weren't that many locals or pilgrims present, so by hanging around, I was able to get to see him close up. I have to say, he looked very frail even then - quite remarkable that he managed to keep going with such a demanding schedule for several years afterwards. (Though it occurs that maybe the present Pope doesn't continue that tradition?)

* - Not on the Vatican side of the river, forget the name of the Church, but it's safe to say it's named after some Saint or other!
"If you come in here again, you'd better bring guns"
"We don't need guns"
"Yes you fuckin' do"

ziggysego

Quote from: Evil Genius on December 19, 2007, 09:06:10 PM
I have to say, he looked very frail even then - quite remarkable that he managed to keep going with such a demanding schedule for several years afterwards. (Though it occurs that maybe the present Pope doesn't continue that tradition?)

I think it was a Pope John Paul II thing, rather than a Pope thing. Still, would have been nice if Pope Benedict XIV continued it.
Testing Accessibility

Chrisowc

Interesting that you can be impressed by Fascist Lazio fans Tony.
it's 'circle the wagons time again' here comes the cavalry!

SeanSouth

I think you can have respect for a footballer and separate his political beliefs..............Politics and football, who would have thought they could be linked in any way????