A couple of questions for the OWC posters

Started by Harold Disgracey, December 19, 2007, 01:13:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Harold Disgracey

I, like most of the people on the board, would love to see more Protestants/Unionists joining the GAA. I know for a fact it would certainly benefit my club.

I'm sure most of these issues have been covered before so bear with me.

I would be grateful if you could answer the questions below as honestly as possible.

1. What do you think of the games of Gaelic football and hurling as sports?

2. In light of the abolishment of rules 21 and 42 would you be more likely to join a GAA club? If not why not, what are the barriers that prevent you from becoming involved?

3. What changes should the GAA make to encourage more Protestants/Unionists to become involved in the GAA?

4. Would you be in favour of sending GAA coaches into Protestant schools to promote their games?

5. What do you think about Nickey Brennan's suggestion that there should be Protestant GAA clubs established?

6. Do you ever envisage yourself joining a GAA club or attending GAA matches?

I've no agenda here, I'm just genuinely interested.

The Blegard

great questions and would be an interesting debate but as a long time lurker I fear this thread will go tits up within 10 posts.
If the rugby can do it there is no excuse for any other sport to integrate.
Ceol,Dole agus Ol

full back

Quote from: The Blegard on December 19, 2007, 03:34:17 PM
great questions and would be an interesting debate but as a long time lurker I fear this thread will go tits up within 10 posts.

Fcuk, you are being very generous there - I dont even think it will take 10 posts
Some genuine questions there, but I fear there is an inbred mentality on both sides that cannot be overcome

nifan

1. I like them, not as much as football, but they are enjoyable.
2. Im too old to start that carry on, and im bad enough at football without being worse at another sport.
3. I think societal changes would have to happen - there is still too much mistrust of "themmuns" across the board. Not much the GAA can do about that but do its best to encourage. Aside from that it depends on the protestant - youll never sell it to all - theres no catch all. The biggest problem is probably the nationalist ethos of it all, which is something some would not like to loose.
4. Absolutely - the more sport the better, id have probably preferred to play gaelic over rugby in school.
5. Id be against tokenized teams, but i think brokencrossbar talked about the scenario where people in a protestant area created a team, it would likely be mostly protestant which is fair enough.
6. Dont think ill ever join a club, but ive been to a few matches.

THE MIGHTY QUINN

Fair play to you NIFAN very good answers. I like the way you're always prepared to engage in debates on issues other that the nationalist v unionist or soccer v GAA like some of the other OWC posters.

pintsofguinness

It hardly helps things when you've an orange man on the news the other morning comparing the Orange Order to the GAA.
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

Solomon Kane

1. Gaelic Football - trash, Hurling - a decent game whch has a baffling amount of skill.

2. No. The games don't interest me enough.

3. Hard to say. There is a definate strong nationalist/republican feel about the Northern Ireland scene which the ROI counterparts don't have to anywhere near the same degree which would need to be seriously diluted. Some posters here do the association no favours, and it needs to be realised that the internet for many is a window on the games fans.

4. It would do no harm, but would require a lot of give and take beforehand. BTW, there are very few protestant schools, so I am guessing state schools is what you mean.

5. Absolutely not. It would be another form of apartheid. Think of th grief Lifield and Rangers got, and rightly so. They have moved on decades ago.

6. I have friends who play, so it is possible. I wouldn't be intersted enough to join a club.

The Blegard

Quote from: Solomon Kane on December 19, 2007, 06:22:30 PM
1. Gaelic Football - trash, Hurling - a decent game whch has a baffling amount of skill.

I dont get that all. I defy anyone to watch a well played Gaelic football (Clean) and not be impressed. To me the game has everything. Ive spent years arguing with aussies who reckon AFL is the best. Would be if you like watching 36 players and 4 referees running around like headless chickens after a rugby ball on a criket pitch
Ceol,Dole agus Ol

pintsofguinness

QuoteThere is a definate strong nationalist/republican feel about the Northern Ireland scene which the ROI counterparts don't have to anywhere near the same degree which would need to be seriously diluted.

Could you tell me how someone who's not interested enough to join a club could come to this conclusion?

Chrisowc

1, I'm not that fussed on Gaelic Football, have watched the odd game on tv though.  Hurling looks a better game to me.

2,  Like Nifan says I can just about manage a game of 5 a side these days!

3, To be honest the general ethos (or my perception) of the Association would prevent me from joining a GAA club.  As far as I know the ban on 'foriegn' games being played at Croke Park is temporary?  Happy to be corrected though.  That along with the carry on at Casement last year shows me that the GAA, in Northern Ireland anyway, has a long way to go before I would consider being involved in a club.

4,  Fair enough.  Kids can only benefit from playing as many sports as possible.

5, I don't think his comments necessarily came across in the right way.  I think I know what he was getting at but a 'token prod' team might only have a novelty value.

6, i don't see myself joining a GAA club, for reasons stated earlier, but I might attend a game some day
it's 'circle the wagons time again' here comes the cavalry!

Solomon Kane

Quote from: pintsofguinness on December 19, 2007, 06:55:01 PM
QuoteThere is a definate strong nationalist/republican feel about the Northern Ireland scene which the ROI counterparts don't have to anywhere near the same degree which would need to be seriously diluted.

Could you tell me how someone who's not interested enough to join a club could come to this conclusion?

Reading around this site.

Solomon Kane

Quote from: The Blegard on December 19, 2007, 06:51:31 PM
Quote from: Solomon Kane on December 19, 2007, 06:22:30 PM

I dont get that all. I defy anyone to watch a well played Gaelic football (Clean) and not be impressed. To me the game has everything. Ive spent years arguing with aussies who reckon AFL is the best. Would be if you like watching 36 players and 4 referees running around like headless chickens after a rugby ball on a criket pitch

Like anyone else Blegard, mine is  an opinion as opposed to a fact. Just like some people like Marmite and others don't. Personally I just don't get it.

pintsofguinness

Quote from: Solomon Kane on December 19, 2007, 08:47:08 PM
Quote from: pintsofguinness on December 19, 2007, 06:55:01 PM

Reading around this site.

That's quite a lazy view do you not think?  You think this board has given you the insight into the mindset of the GAA, north and South?  Could you give me some examples or a more detailed explanation of how you came to this conclusion?

red hander

'There is a definate strong nationalist/republican feel about the Northern Ireland scene which the ROI counterparts don't have to anywhere near the same degree which would need to be seriously diluted.'

Well, that might have something to do with the fact our ROI counterparts weren't being murdered, their clubs weren't being bombed, their members weren't being constantly beaten up or harassed on their way to and from sporting fixtures by the so-called forces of law and order and their culture wasn't being treated with disdain by the state, but then maybe I'm paranoid...

ziggysego

Quote from: The Blegard on December 19, 2007, 03:34:17 PM
If the rugby can do it there is no excuse for any other sport to integrate.

You were right... didn't take long.
Testing Accessibility