Tossers at BBC Radio 1 make u-turn!

Started by Lecale2, December 18, 2007, 11:39:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lecale2

This is hard to believe but true. I hate say it but it really is political correctness gone mad!

Here's the original live version.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NrAwK9juhhY&feature=related

Radio 1 backs down in Pogues row 

BBC Radio 1 has said it will allow the Pogues' Fairytale of New York to be played on the station uncut, after criticism of a decision to censor it.
The words "slut" and "f**got" had been dubbed out from the 20-year-old festive hit by station executives.

But after a day of criticism from listeners, the band, and the mother of singer Kirsty MacColl, they changed their minds.

Controller Andy Parfitt said the original decision was "wrong".

The BBC had said that an edited version would be played because "some members of the audience might find it offensive".

'Creative freedom'

But sister station Radio 2 said it would play the track uncut, and Mr Parfitt subsequently said that after "careful consideration", the ban on the uncut version of the song would be lifted.

"Radio 1 does not play homophobic lyrics or condone bullying of any kind," he said.

"It is not always easy to get this right, mindful of our responsibility to our young audience. The unedited version will be played from now on.

"While we would never condone prejudice of any kind, we know our audiences are smart enough to distinguish between maliciousness and creative freedom. In the context of this song, I do not feel that there is any negative intent behind the use of the words, hence the reversal of the decision."

He told BBC News 24 the decision to edit the song had been made "some months ago" as part of a review of older records played on the station.

MacColl, who was killed by a speedboat off the coast of Mexico in 2000, brands Pogues frontman Shane MacGowan "you sc**bag, you maggot, you cheap lousy f**got" in the song, which reached number two when it was first released.

A spokesman for the Pogues, who first formed in 1982 and reunited in 2001 after a five-year break, said they "found it amusing that a song that has been one of the best-loved Christmas tunes should suddenly have been deemed offensive".

Radio 1 listeners also criticised the ban on Newsbeat's website.

However, veteran gay rights activist Peter Tatchell said Radio 1's original actions were right.

"The word f**got is being sung as an insult, alongside sc**bag and maggot. In this abusive context it is unacceptable," he said.

Hurler on the Bitch

Tatchell need a good kick in the Baltics! If this song was played at the end of the night in the Kremlin in Belfast on Saturday do these f**kers think that everyone would leave in disgust? Course they wouldn't - DEATH TO PONYTAILS! DEATH TO MIDDLECLASS PC SCUM - AND DEATH TO PEOPLE WHO ARE EXTEMEISTS! ALL EXTREMISTS SHOULD BE SHOT AND THEIR BODIES TRAILED THROUGH THE STREETS BEHIND WILD HORSES!!!! DONT GET ME WRONG BUT AS I AM AS EASY GOING AS ANYONE .. BUT LIBERALS SHOULD BE KILLED IN PUBLIC AND THEIR BODIES DISPLAYED AS A WARNING! WOMEN NOT MARRIED BY THE AGE OF THIRTY SHOULD BE BURNED AT THE STAKE! Some of my best friends are gay don't you know.

Silky

If Peter Tatchell is offended by it then I'm in favour of it. Most Gay men must be embarrassed by that man's antics. Does he find the title of the song offensive? What could they change "fairy" to?

A classic song. RIP Kristy McCall.

Bacon

Best Christmas song ever. BBC and Thatchell are a complete joke. Do any young people actually listen to Radio 1?
Down Championships Prediction League Winner 2009

Star Spangler

It would be interesting to hear the views of those who post here and are of the gay persuasion.  Anyone?

Stalin

You might want to edit your thread title there. Some wans might find 'tossers' offensive  :-\
A single death is a tragedy; a million deaths is a statistic

Main Street

Quote from: Star Spangler on December 19, 2007, 12:19:07 PM
It would be interesting to hear the views of those who post here and are of the gay persuasion.  Anyone?
Maybe the  Real Gay Laoislad (gay for christmas at least) could comment?