Are Das Naturally Tight?

Started by cville, December 16, 2007, 10:23:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cville

My Da was born during the war and always was a bit tight in my view. Never smoked or drank .... got a pair of shoes and they would last him 15 years ... counted his money with his back to you ... always said "sure you could get a trick out of that" ... our garage was like an Alladin's cave of shite .. took him to the dump and he came back with more stuff than he left off... drives past petrol stations and actually notes that 'a' is 1p cheaper than 'b' and would drive three miles to go there for petrol............................................ I thought that he was just being shrewd all his life .. UNTIL .. was up at the house the other day and saw his bank statement on the fireplace.. now I know what happened all that money that was never spent on fags, booze or anthing in particular... are people from that era just a wee bit more cautious??? ???

Puckoon

Not mine, hes always been a spend now before I die kinda character. Which is great. Until you hit 27 and realise you havnt a clue how to save...

pintsofguinness

Quoteare people from that era just a wee bit more cautious???

I think so, my oul boy is exactly the same. 
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

The Real Laoislad

I wouldn't call my Da tight at all but he is very cautious with money,But then he and my Ma had to raise 5 kids with very little money so i can see why they would be carefull with the money they have even though they are quite comfortable now.
You'll Never Walk Alone.

cville

You recall the time that the Euro was introduced and they had the Shopping Bonanza in January - called it matress money - all those farmers etc with no bank accounts realised that the punts were on the way out ... well that was my  Da.. he has money stashed in all sorts of places. Not as bad as a mate of mine whose house had wee hidey holes all over the place and the da had a drink problem - therefore stashed money in the holes and forgot all about it .. kept us in beer for most of my teenage years.. Till the fuckin mice ate the wad one winter!

THE MIGHTY QUINN

Quote from: cville on December 16, 2007, 10:55:53 PM
You recall the time that the Euro was introduced and they had the Shopping Bonanza in January - called it matress money - all those farmers etc with no bank accounts realised that the punts were on the way out ... well that was my  Da.. he has money stashed in all sorts of places. Not as bad as a mate of mine whose house had wee hidey holes all over the place and the da had a drink problem - therefore stashed money in the holes and forgot all about it .. kept us in beer for most of my teenage years.. Till the fuckin mice ate the wad one winter!

Excellent post. One of the funniest I've read in ages ;D ;D ;D