Coming out of the closet

Started by gerry, December 13, 2007, 11:47:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ONeill

Feeling rightly gay today now myself.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

ziggysego

cavan, thus protests too much which that avatar.
Testing Accessibility

pintsofguinness

QuoteAnyway, the point being, nevermind Ireland there are very few places around the world where being openly gay is acceptable.

I would have thought we moved on a good bit.

Why anyone cares about what two consenting adults get up to in their own house is beyond me.
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

imtommygunn

Have on occasion got a taxi from Clifton street after a saturday night in the duke of york. It's acceptable enough in it's own confines in kremlin/event horizon but perhaps not in more "mainstream" bars.

Belfast still evolving with regard to things like this - it's definitely not as "acceptable" as it would be in the likes of London or perhaps Edinburgh. I would doubt we're any further behind in this regard though than places like Glasgow / Liverpool. We are evolving though.

stew

Quote from: pintsofguinness on December 19, 2007, 06:04:39 PM
QuoteAnyway, the point being, nevermind Ireland there are very few places around the world where being openly gay is acceptable.

I would have thought we moved on a good bit.

Why anyone cares about what two consenting adults get up to in their own house is beyond me.

It's when they get physical on the streets is when it annoys me.
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

Gabriel_Hurl

does that include holding hands?

pintsofguinness

I don't think there's any call for ANYONE getting physical on the street.

Sky Blue

I read on the board recently that the number gay men is increasing year by year in direct proportion to the decline in male school teachers. A very interesting statistic and that is compelling evidence that it is up -bringing rather than genetics that causes them to feel attracted to the same sex.

If more male teachers were employed the numbers of new gays developing homosexual feelings would decline and in time they would disappear. They don't reproduce themselves. That's why gay rights activists oppose male teachers in primary schools.

pintsofguinness

You have to be taking the piss?

Gabriel_Hurl

Sky Blue

There has always been an arguement between scientists as to wheather homosexuality was caused by your environment when young or genetics. These facts back up the upbringing side of the argument. It's compelling but not 100%. There's still a Small chance that there's another cause.

Personally I believe that some young men decide to turn gay because they think it will make them more interesting or they're just attracted to what they consider a glamorous lifestyle.

pintsofguinness

Oh good God.

Is there any evidence to back up this environment theory?

Blacksheep

Quote from: Sky Blue on December 19, 2007, 07:05:07 PM
Personally I believe that some young men decide to turn gay because they think it will make them more interesting or they're just attracted to what they consider a glamorous lifestyle.

You call this glamorous?

Blacksheep - a reckless and unprincipled reprobate!

Puckoon

Quote from: Sky Blue on December 19, 2007, 07:05:07 PM
There has always been an arguement between scientists as to wheather homosexuality was caused by your environment when young or genetics. These facts back up the upbringing side of the argument. It's compelling but not 100%. There's still a Small chance that there's another cause.

1. When you consider the fact that homosexuality has been around since even before biblical times, and factor in the ever changing home, work and educational environments in that time frame - im afraid that the environmental causes of homosexuality may not be as strong a factor as you suggest. I think this environmental factor may be a cause of the femininity associated with some homosexual males in this century, but has little to do with the desire to have sex with another man.

2. I think thats a lazy opinion. I wouldnt be convinced that too many people decide to be gay. I think the time frame lag of people who have attempted to live heterosexual lives for a while, or those who just take some time to publicise their orientation is down to confusion, uncertainty and fear of the backlash from society (never mind friends and family).
I think overt public displays of affection regardless of sexual orientation are gratuitous and uncalled for. Having whitnessed men kissing its not a great sight, similarly the sight of two lesbians (even the lipstick variety) kissing is also a little unsettling for me. What I cannot stand are those who take to the streets for the gay pride rallys. Can you imagine the holylands if every heterosexual monster from tyrone armagh and derry took to the streets pronouncing their rampant sexuality?