Pipe bomb found at GAA ground in Banbridge

Started by SeanSouth, December 13, 2007, 10:37:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SeanSouth

Pipe bomb is found at GAA ground 

The pipe bomb was removed by the Army
A pipe bomb has been found at a GAA ground in County Down.
It was discovered during an overnight alert at the ground on the Ballela Road outside Banbridge.

Police have described the device as "viable" and it has now been removed by the Army.

The alert began at about 2100 GMT on Wednesday after a telephone warning. A male caller said a device had been left at the ground.

Police have appealed for anyone who saw any suspicious activity in the area on Wednesday evening to contact them.

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

Tbc....

Whitehair

Probably the work of our neighbours from Dromore/Kinallen direction!

orangeman

snatter

What's the odds that its linked to today's unveiling of the new Maze Stadium design?

These bigots are probably trying to send out a message that they won't tolerate GAA inclusion in any publicly funded stadium (despite the fact that we're the best attended sport here by a country mile).

Paradoxically, this bomb will probably weaken the case for any Belfast stadium - it would always be harder to secure the safety of GAA fans in an urban area like Belfast.

A remote site like the Maze, accessible by motorway will always be easier to secure.

behind the wire

Quote from: snatter on December 13, 2007, 11:53:25 AM
What's the odds that its linked to today's unveiling of the new Maze Stadium design?

These bigots are probably trying to send out a message that they won't tolerate GAA inclusion in any publicly funded stadium (despite the fact that we're the best attended sport here by a country mile).

Paradoxically, this bomb will probably weaken the case for any Belfast stadium - it would always be harder to secure the safety of GAA fans in an urban area like Belfast.

A remote site like the Maze, accessible by motorway will always be easier to secure.

dont think that has anything to do with it. i think it is more a local problem. as far as i know a couple of orange halls were vandalised recently. whitehair might be able to explain more about it to you.
He who laughs last thinks the slowest

ziggysego

Terrible altogether.

Any idea who is behind it?
Testing Accessibility

Square Ball

Hospitals are not equipped to treat stupid

dublinfella

it would always be harder to secure the safety of GAA fans in an urban area like Belfast.

The Cliftonville and Donegal Celtic fans don't have a problem.

stephenite

Quote from: dublinfella on December 14, 2007, 12:20:36 AM
it would always be harder to secure the safety of GAA fans in an urban area like Belfast.

The Cliftonville and Donegal Celtic fans don't have a problem.

How are they GAA fans? Cliftonville and DC are soccer teams, from Belfast.

john mcgill

Got a call from the PSNI at 12.30am this morning.  They asked me was I still secretary of the local club.  I haven't been for seven years. They said they would get details from the county secretary and that it was in relation to the incident in Co Down.  Must be warnings going out to all GAA clubs

lynchbhoy

i sleepily heard on the news that there have also been several pipe bombs found at GAA grounds all over mid-ulster , in various counties

lynchbhoy

maybe this is the loyalist-unionst method of objecting to the GPA and pay-per-play ?

johnneycool

Quote from: john mcgill on December 14, 2007, 07:16:10 AM
Got a call from the PSNI at 12.30am this morning.  They asked me was I still secretary of the local club.  I haven't been for seven years. They said they would get details from the county secretary and that it was in relation to the incident in Co Down.  Must be warnings going out to all GAA clubs

All clubs in Down and Antrim got calls late last night as the LVF had called newsrooms to say they had planted bombs at GAA clubs in both counties. I think the Co secretaries concerned must of been contacted by the PSNI. I don't think the PSNI were going to search all clubs which I thought was strange!

Lecale2

The device yesterday was found at Ballela. A small, rural hurling club 5 miles from the nearest town. An easy target.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/northern_ireland/7143754.stm