The Official Fantastic Glasgow Rangers thread

Started by T Fearon, December 12, 2007, 09:47:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nigel White

Same history, same number of titles etc.etc.

JimStynes

The new club line is great for winding them up though.

passedit

Professional soccer clubs are businesses which collect and spend money to pursue success on and off the pitch. Rangers spent their way to oblivion and were replaced by The Rangers a new club. It's that simple.

E.U.F.A position.

https://mobile.twitter.com/moo_ted/status/767326007934287872?s=09
Don't Panic

AZOffaly

Quote from: passedit on August 22, 2016, 10:17:53 PM
Professional soccer clubs are businesses which collect and spend money to pursue success on and off the pitch. Rangers spent their way to oblivion and were replaced by The Rangers a new club. It's that simple.

E.U.F.A position.

Why are they allowed keep the roll of honour etc?

passedit

Quote from: AZOffaly on August 22, 2016, 10:28:17 PM

E.U.F.A position.

They can claim all the titles they want, makes no difference. Why do you think they didn't play in the 2012 Eufa cup or Scottish premiership or didn't get a bye to the fourth round of the Scottish cup?
Don't Panic

Milltown Row2

E.U.F.A position.

Ok being honest though, is it a case that Celtic fans want to overtake Rangers on the roll of honour that they have this view point?? When Celtic play them this year will they look at Rangers as a different rival than before??
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

AZOffaly

Quote from: passedit on August 22, 2016, 10:54:56 PM

E.U.F.A position.

They can claim all the titles they want, makes no difference. Why do you think they didn't play in the 2012 Eufa cup or Scottish premiership or didn't get a bye to the fourth round of the Scottish cup?

That was just a question, I'm not challenging you :) I'm just asking why they are obviously being allowed to maintain the appearance of being the same club. I presume Celtic fans see them as Rangers.

They should have been made change their name completely, wear different colours, and have a different crest.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: AZOffaly on August 22, 2016, 11:17:35 PM
Quote from: passedit on August 22, 2016, 10:54:56 PM

E.U.F.A position.

That was just a question, I'm not challenging you :) I'm just asking why they are obviously being allowed to maintain the appearance of being the same club. I presume Celtic fans see them as Rangers.

They should have been made change their name completely, wear different colours, and have a different crest.

Different stadium too, otherwise they are still rangers
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

passedit

The new club bought the assets of the old one when it went bust, including the stadium (though there is some doubt as to actually owns the stadium). The assets did not include the players, who were all free to leave. Although several TUPE'd over to the new club many more left. Indeed when the new club played their first game against Berwick they had to play the entire team as loanees from the old club as it still held the player registrations.

The simple reason why they are allowed to masquerade as the old club is money. The liquidation of the old club stiffed creditors (including all uk taxpayers) of millions of pounds but there is still a large customer base (including many celtic fans who need something to hate) who still want to believe they are the same club so the SFA and the Celtic board in particular indulge this fantasy to monetise it. This will work for the most part until the new club goes bust as well. I don't think anybody will buy Third Rangers.
Don't Panic

straightred

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on August 22, 2016, 11:09:56 PM

E.U.F.A position.

Ok being honest though, is it a case that Celtic fans want to overtake Rangers on the roll of honour that they have this view point?? When Celtic play them this year will they look at Rangers as a different rival than before??

for me its more than that. In the run up to liquidation everyone (yes everyone) was saying that if they went into liquidation then 140 years of history would die with them etc. The push then was to avoid liquidation. They didn't avoid it so they (in cooperation with the media) have now decided to rewrite history and pretend it didn't happen. They've created some sort of artificial boundary between the club and company. Its a load of nonsense and anyone with half a brain can see through it. They left a trail of debts in their wake, they won titles with the assistance of financial cheating, they were allowed back in at a higher level than they should have been and they expect everyone else to simply forget about it.

If they cared so much about their club why didn't they organise themselves and prevent it happening just as Celtic did under Fergus McCann. They want it every way but business doesn't operate like that. This isn't just a Celtic thing either - fans from every club in Scotland will never tire from reminding them of what happened and they'll continue to get upset over it.

I couldn't care less about how many leagues anyone has won. That's over and done with. As far as I'm concerned the next one is the only important one. However, in terms of what is right and wrong they should never be allowed forget what happened. The establishment club died and no amount of rewriting history will ever change that.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: straightred on August 23, 2016, 12:05:41 PM

E.U.F.A position.

for me its more than that. In the run up to liquidation everyone (yes everyone) was saying that if they went into liquidation then 140 years of history would die with them etc. The push then was to avoid liquidation. They didn't avoid it so they (in cooperation with the media) have now decided to rewrite history and pretend it didn't happen. They've created some sort of artificial boundary between the club and company. Its a load of nonsense and anyone with half a brain can see through it. They left a trail of debts in their wake, they won titles with the assistance of financial cheating, they were allowed back in at a higher level than they should have been and they expect everyone else to simply forget about it.

If they cared so much about their club why didn't they organise themselves and prevent it happening just as Celtic did under Fergus McCann. They want it every way but business doesn't operate like that. This isn't just a Celtic thing either - fans from every club in Scotland will never tire from reminding them of what happened and they'll continue to get upset over it.

I couldn't care less about how many leagues anyone has won. That's over and done with. As far as I'm concerned the next one is the only important one. However, in terms of what is right and wrong they should never be allowed forget what happened. The establishment club died and no amount of rewriting history will ever change that.

That's the best response on this I've heard... I totally get the winning titles while screwing the system and like drugs cheats who lose their medals I would say that Rangers would need to do the same... but will that happen?

foxcommander

E.U.F.A position.

Either reset the clock to 0 titles like should have been done or at the very least strike off the titles they won by cheating.
Unsurprisingly neither looks likely to happen.
Every second of the day there's a Democrat telling a lie

Milltown Row2

Quote from: foxcommander on August 23, 2016, 02:41:59 PM

E.U.F.A position.

Either reset the clock to 0 titles like should have been done or at the very least strike off the titles they won by cheating.
Unsurprisingly neither looks likely to happen.

That's the best option, I'd say there are some irregularities within a lot of clubs up and down the country that escaped scrutiny

ashman

Why so much interest in second rate Scottish soccer on this site ??  Both the Scottish clubs with threads on this site are full of hate , bigots and glory hunters .  To the remainder of decent scots both these odious organisations deserve one another .

bennydorano

More comedy gold from Govan

Rangers: Mark Warburton replaced as manager ahead of Scottish Cup tie - http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/38939432