Setanta News

Started by Tempoman, December 12, 2007, 11:42:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tempoman

I see there is a new 24 hour sports news station on sky, Setanta news.

Anybody know if they are going to cover gaa on it, or are they just going to follow skys sports news and follow soccer and cricket and cricket and cricket??

tayto

i'd imagine it's a channel for their premiership fans, GAA might get a mention in the summer i suppose.

bennydorano

Would anyone happen to know what is the Setanta subscription is for a pub or social club?

tayto

No idea but i've heard they're fleecing pubs in America to show the championship.

Rav67

yeah every Irish bar you'd go into in America for a game would charge you $20 and heard managers claim that doesn't even be near paying their subscription.

Haven't heard whether Setanta will cover GAA, was wondering recently how come Sky Sports News doesn't even have a short feature on any of the major championship games in their 24-hour service, given that they cover important American football games and the like. 

tayto

I think if they're charging too much to show the GAA in the states then the GAA should look into giving the contract to someone else, pubs will stop showing the games over there which would be a shame. That's how they got off the ground int it?

his holiness nb

Have the new channel on now, same sort as thing as sky sports news, english presenters and all, cant see much GAA coverage on it.

Incidentally theres a bit much going on at the one time on there, you have the main screen with the presenters, a news bar at the top, league tables at the right, and two scrolling news bars on the bottom, scrolling at different speeds. A bit manic.
Ask me holy bollix

Tankie

from what i gathered from watching it is that it is aimed at the British market with soccer and that type of stuff. I would be suprised to see much GAA on it.
Grand Slam Saturday!

heganboy

Quoteyeah every Irish bar you'd go into in America for a game would charge you $20 and heard managers claim that doesn't even be near paying their subscription.

the $20 fee in bars in New York is collected by Setanta reps on the door of the bars- this goes directly to setanta, less 100 for the collector. It is in addition to the pub's paying to show the game...
Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity

stiffler

Quote from: heganboy on December 12, 2007, 06:47:44 PM
Quoteyeah every Irish bar you'd go into in America for a game would charge you $20 and heard managers claim that doesn't even be near paying their subscription.

the $20 fee in bars in New York is collected by Setanta reps on the door of the bars- this goes directly to setanta, less 100 for the collector. It is in addition to the pub's paying to show the game...

them setanta rep jobs sound like a handy number....
GAABoard Fantasy Cheltenham Competition- Most winners 2009

stephenite

Quote from: tayto on December 12, 2007, 01:15:58 PM
No idea but i've heard they're fleecing pubs in America to show the championship.

The only championship games that you're charged to watch in Oz are the All Ireland finals, all others are free. Setanta now also available on the standard cable package over here, I am hoping this means that all championship games can now be watched at home. Will make a big difference when the throw in is at 12:30AM on a Monday morning

SeanSouth

Quote from: tram on December 12, 2007, 07:09:12 PM
Quote from: bennydorano on December 12, 2007, 12:12:12 PM
Would anyone happen to know what is the Setanta subscription is for a pub or social club?
If its for Ireland or the UK and runs along the same lines as Sky, it would be based upon the size and income of the bar. There's no fixed price.

I know a chap (barowner) that just swapped his cards round from his house to his bar, always seemd to work

SeanSouth

Quote from: hardstation on December 12, 2007, 10:22:52 PM
It works alright but they send out inspectors and if you're caught you're fecked.
Have you ever noticed the wee pint in the corner of the screen when you watch sky sports in the pub? It doesn't appear when you watch it at home. That is the reason for the pint thing.

I would be usually doing well to see the screen if i am watching it in the "battle cruiser"

cicfada

That's allright in areas with large irish populations in cities with public transport but not in areas like Florida where they would charge the local pub I used to go to 15 or 16 thousand  for the championship . That's not including replays or qualifiers. Setanta would do no demographic study of these areas at all to ascertain the Irish population and the price charged was on a take-it-or-leave-it basis!! "Nice" people to do business  with huh?? GAA would want to be careful doing business with these guys as there will be a big grassroot uproar due to the lack of coverage of Setanta in certain areas. The least the GAA can do when they do get a pile of money from them is announce fairly lively where the money is going before you know who comes looking for it!!!!

Puckoon

:o :o :o :o :o

Are you serious? Where on earth did you hear this? Thats fecking shocking, and its why I just use the internet.