SKY+

Started by clarshack, December 06, 2007, 01:21:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Main Street

Personally, I go with ethernet cables, wired phone and real antenna cables.
Though it is a nuisance to keep them tidy.
All those wireless signals in a home environment can't be good for the brain.
A wireless phone is always pumping out a frequency even on stand by.

There is enough of all that stuff to contend with outside of the home.

Bomber

Quote from: Bomber on October 20, 2008, 11:23:08 PM
Hello. I am on the look out for some help here. I have a TV in the living room connected to sky + box and another TV in the bedroom using the  magic digieye and have decided to put a TV in the kitchen. When getting the sky + installed at the start I connected the wires in the attic from the bedroom to the main wire from the living room so I could get the TV in the bedroom to work. Worked out ok.

My problem when connecting the wires in the attic again for the kitchen the sky remote will not work in the bedroom but I do get a picture no probs.

Any advice how I could sort this out? Someone said I needed an integrated bypass amplifier. What does this do??

Now I have been told that its a distribution by pass box that I need which needs a socket in the attic to plug it into. is it the same as an integrated bypass amplifier?? the boys in the shop want to get rid of ya asa quick as they can answering what the seem as silly questions. Aswel they charge an arm and a leg when selling a piece of equipment like this which can be got half price on ebay.

Main Street

Same thing, needs the power to amplify the signal.

Minder

Will sky eventually do away with the £10 month subscription for multi room as they did with Sky +?
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

ziggysego

Doubt it, multi-box thingy-me-gig has been around a lot longer than Sky+
Testing Accessibility

nifan

Quote from: Main Street on October 21, 2008, 05:41:33 PM
Personally, I go with ethernet cables, wired phone and real antenna cables.
Though it is a nuisance to keep them tidy.
All those wireless signals in a home environment can't be good for the brain.
A wireless phone is always pumping out a frequency even on stand by.

There is enough of all that stuff to contend with outside of the home.

Unless youve built your house inside a faradays cage then you are being bombarded anyway - go with it i say!

Main Street

Nah, my house is in an isolated spot.
Even if you live in a built up area, there is a difference in range between signals coming through the outside walls and signals being pumped around the house. 
Each to their own about wired and wireless, I'm just giving my opinion.
Based on my experience, I'm wary about embracing this totally wireless  growing culture.

Norf Tyrone

Can't mind if I asked this before!

Apologies as I am a technophobe. I have a Samsung 42inch PS that I purchased almost 24 months back. During this time I had no problems whatsoever, until when I recently purchased SKY +. I previously had standard SKY TV.

When I watch back certain programmes on SKY+ the image jumps with various degrees. Now I have the SKY signal direct from the box to this TV, but I also have it looped back out to TVs around the house.

Only on the main TV is there an issue. The SKY engineers have been out several times and replaced the SKY box twice, rewired it, new dish....everything. Nothing works.

I notice now that the image appears to jump when there are certain images on the screen. Possibly the more colour the more jumping, as it does it a lot during play back of my kid's programmes.

Note that the images does not jump when watching SKY normally, nor on terrestial TV. Only when watching a playback on SKY +. I also connected the SKY box to the TV via ordinary antenna cables....but still it jumped.

With all that considered I now think there is some compatability problem with the TV and SKY+ that could be caused by certain settings being on or off. Any ideas?
Owen Roe O'Neills GAC, Leckpatrick, Tyrone

Main Street

You have changed the Sky box so that should eliminate the box.
Have you tried playback on another  TV? if still not good that would eliminate the question of TV incompatibility.
Are you connected to the Toshiba from the Skybox with RF cable?
If so remove it, could cause interference.
If it is only certain channels like Setanta then that transponder gives out a weaker signal than the other transponders.
The weak signal would be more obvious in poor weather.

There maybe a large tree beside your dish which in windy weather causes the branches to sway vigourously across the path of the dish :)

Gnevin

Quote from: Norf Tyrone on November 06, 2008, 01:27:48 PM
Can't mind if I asked this before!

Apologies as I am a technophobe. I have a Samsung 42inch PS that I purchased almost 24 months back. During this time I had no problems whatsoever, until when I recently purchased SKY +. I previously had standard SKY TV.

When I watch back certain programmes on SKY+ the image jumps with various degrees. Now I have the SKY signal direct from the box to this TV, but I also have it looped back out to TVs around the house.

Only on the main TV is there an issue. The SKY engineers have been out several times and replaced the SKY box twice, rewired it, new dish....everything. Nothing works.

I notice now that the image appears to jump when there are certain images on the screen. Possibly the more colour the more jumping, as it does it a lot during play back of my kid's programmes.

Note that the images does not jump when watching SKY normally, nor on terrestial TV. Only when watching a playback on SKY +. I also connected the SKY box to the TV via ordinary antenna cables....but still it jumped.

With all that considered I now think there is some compatability problem with the TV and SKY+ that could be caused by certain settings being on or off. Any ideas?
Are you using a HDMI ? It sounds like your TV and SKY + HDMI are 100% compatible . Ask Samsung  is their a firmware update
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

Norf Tyrone

As I say I am a technophobe so be gentle.

I tried another TV hooked up and playback is perfect, which adds credance to the compatability thieory.

Not sure what HDMI is but I don't think I am using it. Basically the picture is ran from the SKY box to the TV via a standard scart cable (Changed them out too).

Mainstreet- The SKY picture is grand no matter the weather, and the playback problems happen on sunny days (Whenever that was) and windy ones.

Thanks for your help anyway lads.

>:(

Main Street

Your problem only comes on playback (which you'd think is a hard drive issue or sky box issue).

It should not matter to the Samsung TV if it's live tv from Sky+ or playback
Why would the cables and TV be fine for one but not the other?

I wouldn't like that problem

Norf Tyrone

Quote from: Main Street on November 06, 2008, 02:44:36 PM
Your problem only comes on playback (which you'd think is a hard drive issue or sky box issue).

It should not matter to the Samsung TV if it's live tv from Sky+ or playback
Why would the cables and TV be fine for one but not the other?

I wouldn't like that problem

:D That's reassuring, when even the experts are flumoxed.

The points you've made are all things that have puzzled me too. I was sure it was the hard drive too.

Do you know is there a resoloution change when watching SKY + playback as opposed to SKY + live TV?

Main Street

Sky+ records at good quality.
You do lose a tiny little bit,  but nowhere near enough to make the difference you notice.

Did you get the same make of Skybox as a replacement?
It could well be something on the video signal out of the box that gets overloaded on playback, causing an incompatibility between the make of your Skybox and your specific tv.
You have swopped tv´s and it works fine.

How about keeping your TV and switching skybox brands?
Swopping to another brand of Skybox, armstrad? should  work.
That's my theory or least what I'd be investgating

You have a contract with Sky? they should have changed the make of your box not just changed the box, methinks.
The compatibility fault is both with that particular Skybox brand and the TV
It would be a point of contract, you should be able to get that remedied.

Other than that
The video signal can be adjusted slightly by manually reducing the contrast in settings

nifan

http://www.aldi.co.uk/uk/html/offers/2867_7759.htm

for anyone looking a cheap option for sending the signal to another room.