Does anyone believe Bertie?

Started by Leo, December 04, 2007, 05:31:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zapatista

Quote from: TacadoirArdMhacha on December 05, 2007, 09:10:52 PM
QuoteTacadoirArdMhacha - are you still considering FF if they are serious about contesting in the North?

Definitely. I wouldn't vote for a party that didn't stand throughout the 32 counties and it'd be nice to have more than 1 party ticking that box.

Would you not be of the opinion - to little to late? The catholic churh has a lot to answer for. All this turn the other check and forgiveness stuff is a bit mad.

stephenite

Quote from: 5iveTimes on December 05, 2007, 11:29:20 AM
This must be big news in Australia, otherwise Stephenite wouldnt have an opinion.

What on earth has my living arrangements got to do with Bertie Ahern being corrupt? You constantly drag up my living arrangements when ever I say something you don't agree with.

Whilst it's obvious you're not the smartest person in the world, if you can't form a reasonable response using your own opinion then do try and let those that can get on with it. 

TacadoirArdMhacha

QuoteDid you consider voting for the Stickies back in the day?

Well 2003 was my first election Deiseach and since what goes back by the name of the Worker's Party these days has never stood in my consitituency I'll call pass on that one!
As I dream about movies they won't make of me when I'm dead

stephenite

I'll try and source this later - of those that contributed to the dig out (whether it was or not is another matter) a sizeable number of them were given plum director posts of semi state companies or government agencies. Berties response that they got the job because they were my mates not because they gave me money always made me laugh

stephenite

Regardless of if it was a dig out for legal bills or money donated to Bertie's 'constituency office' or the party itself. Of those that gave money :

Joe Burke : Appointed Chairman of the Dublin Port Company in 2002, without the knowledge of coalition partners the PD's
Des Richardson : ON the board of Aer Lingus until 2001
Padraic O'Connor : Appointed head of ACC Bank in 1999 (but he's not a mate, apparently ::))
Jim Nugent : On board of Central Bank
Dermot Carew : Only offence seems to be that he owns Fagans

These are just the favours that we know about.

The man is a blight and a plague on Irish politics - and for the comment that he was not in the same league as Haughey, well how do you quantify corruption. You believe he was worse than the other fella because he was on the take more than Bertie?

But, with all the innuendo and whispers there was enough there in my view for him to be voted out at the last election - he wasn't and that tells you all about how the Irish electorate react to this sort of behaviour and we're not alone, the Italians have been at it for years, Mitterrand is in trouble over in France and apparently his indiscretions were widely know about during his long career. We see how one agenda in the US can cause Global Strife for years. Is there an alternative to democracy that will stop blood sucking, money hungry politicians and capitalists - has anyone thought of an alternative before? ;) :D ;)

J70

Quote from: deiseach on December 05, 2007, 06:31:33 PM
Quote from: J70 on December 05, 2007, 06:24:01 PM
They did a very good job in the mid-90s. No reason why they shouldn't be given another chance. Its not as if, even disregarding corruption, Fianna Fail's performance is superlative.

No reason, apart from the little matter of not being able to get the votes.

Thankfully the Irish aren't in a position like the US or China. Given the standard of politician we elect, I hate to think what they could do with serious power like that bestowed on the likes of Bush.

blast05

QuoteStephenite, I just think it would be better for all concerned if you kept your opinions to things you have a grasp of. I cannot imagine that Berties finances are making the headlines in your home country. If we need an opinion on Australian politics or the latest episode of Neighbours I am sure you would be of great assisitance, but you seem to be out of touch with politics here in Ireland.

I'm missing something here.
Is that an attempt at humour 5 Sams or you just don't agree with the opinions of Stephenite ? ?

Bogball XV

Quote from: 5iveTimes on December 06, 2007, 11:21:16 AM
Stephenite, I just think it would be better for all concerned if you kept your opinions to things you have a grasp of. I cannot imagine that Berties finances are making the headlines in your home country. If we need an opinion on Australian politics or the latest episode of Neighbours I am sure you would be of great assisitance, but you seem to be out of touch with politics here in Ireland.
Out of touch how?

his holiness nb

5times, its quite clear that Stephenite is Irish, but lives in Australia.
Now we live in the age of the internet, and he obviously gets the internet, so its quite easy to follow Irish politics from anywhere in the world if interested.

By all means argue against his points, but when he says something you disagree with, this "sure what would you know,youre in Australia" crap just makes you look bad.
Ask me holy bollix

deiseach

Quote from: J70 on December 06, 2007, 03:03:27 AM
Thankfully the Irish aren't in a position like the US or China. Given the standard of politician we elect, I hate to think what they could do with serious power like that bestowed on the likes of Bush.

Better then to have a system which elects the likes of Bush, or better still, doesn't 'elect' anyone at all

Bogball XV

Quote from: 5iveTimes on December 06, 2007, 01:27:26 PM
Maybe I am wrong, and if I am wrong I apologise in advance, but did Stephenite not become an Australian citizen?
Not sure, but I think that's Aerlik - our resident pilot from Derry, who's been there for about 20 yrs - could be wrong of course.

stephenite

Sean South was right, you are a bit of a spoon.

I'm in my mid 30's and have lived in Ireland all my life apart from the last 21 months. From the early 1990's to December 2005 I lived in Drumcondra and drank regularly in Fagans where I would often meet the man in question, and have had more than a few conversations with him both in the bar and on my doorstep when he'd be canvassing every couple of years. Not, that in this day and age of modern communications I should have to justify my having an opinion on anything I am interested in however I still read the Irish daily papers on line, and my local weeklys, and listen to either drivetime on Radio 1 or The Last Word on Today Fm about 4 times a week. There is nothing about my location that can stop me being as informed as anyone else on any issue, anywhere.

You are regularly posting messages here that are anti-American republican and anti George Bush - by your own rationale you shouldn't have any opinion of these sort of affairs, you don't live in America. But your rationale is incorrect, amazingly.

So you say that I am out of touch with the political situation in Ireland - please point out how I am out of touch? There must be something in what I posted that makes you think I am out of touch and am interested to know what this is.

The reference to you being a spidey sc**bag was in response to another unprovoked attack by you in regards to my opinions and your assertion that I shouldn't really have one - because they conflicted with any opinions of your own. You've more than once invited posters on here to name a time and a place to meet up and you'd sort them out - that to me is indicative that my description of you in not inaccurate

stephenite

Quote from: 5iveTimes on December 06, 2007, 01:27:26 PM
Stephenite has made many personal attacks and insults on me over the years and many times has accused me of being "a spidey sc**bag" when in fact he couldnt be further from the truth. He seems to attack the poster and not the post, if he doesnt agree with my viewpoint fair enough, but there are better ways of changing someones opinion.

Not only a liar but a raging hypocrite to boot

stephenite

From Twenty major (Foul mouthed blogger that goes out of his way to offend)

Twas the night before Christmas, when all thro' the house,
Not a creature was stirring, not even a mouse;
The stockings were hung by the chimney with care,
In hopes that St. Nicholas soon would be there;

Sitting alone on the couch was poor Bertie,
Unable to convince his money's not dirty;
The Mahon Tribunal, oh God how it drags,
while the stuttering **** can't afford his teabags;

We've got word from close friends, and even from bankers,
but how can you trust them, the perjurous wankers;
He and cronies make their own wages higher,
I'd so like to slide him, arse first, down the spire;

The country's awash with the strongest of drugs,
they're dropping like flies, the free snorting mugs;
Some say it's too strong, some say it's just muck,
I have tried to care but just don't give a f**k;

They bleat in the papers and blame middle classes,
for tooting at parties, at work and at masses;
But it's always been thus, there's always been coke,
the press in this country are a laughable joke;

The criminal gangs have the Guards on the run,
they do what they want, have the greatest of fun;
they fight and they shoot, the insufferable pricks,
while we send out the cops to stop them with sticks;

That fat Mary Harney, now there's a right chancer,
crying crocodile tears while some women have cancer;
we can tell them by media, say the HSE,
a body that needs a right kick in the gee;

You're fine, you're not sick, oh hang on, yes you are,
you can put that right down, you no more need a bra;
The care, the compassion, it's second to none,
misdiagnoses is all part of the fun;

But there's no right to turn around now and complain,
the people have voted, they chose them again;
they knew they were liars, they knew they were crooks,
you reap what you sow, you dimwitted fucks.

muppet

Quote from: 5iveTimes on December 04, 2007, 06:59:15 PM
Quote from: Pietas on December 04, 2007, 06:15:08 PM
Quote from: 5iveTimes on December 04, 2007, 05:48:39 PM
Quote from: Leo on December 04, 2007, 05:43:35 PM
I agree they re-elected them but not with a bigger mandate -

I have a notoriously bad memory and I am not going to google the election results, but I am quite sure that FF won more seats in the last election than they did in the one before. Is that not a bigger mandate?

2002 - FF 81
2007 - FF: 78

78 is a lower number than 81.  FF dropped 3 seats

I stand corrected, I actually thought they won slightly more seats this time round. Still they won more seats than Fine Gael  ;D

5Times this hasn't been a good thread for you.  ::)
MWWSI 2017