Longest ever penalty scored in rugby.

Started by stew, December 03, 2007, 12:26:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

stew

I was talking to a mate from ireland the night who is a rugby head, I was telling him I remember seeing gavin hastings hit one between the sticks from close to his own own 22 in gale force conditions and he said I was away in the head but I know i saw a clip of it on here years ago. anyway he have a wee bet on it now and i was wondering if anybody  else saw the clip. it was amazing at the time and got a lot of play.

Hastings was one of the best players I ever saw, brilliant player.
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

TORGAEL

Have to agree with you re Hastings as a player......a true scots legend....but i cant remember the penalty you're talking about.

Puckoon

http://thescotsman.scotsman.com/sport.cfm?id=216692006

The longest successful penalty on record is 70 metres, in a scotland wales game, by welshman paul thorburn.
Gaving hastings was playing in the game. He was one of my favourite players growing up, cracking full back.

QuoteThat 1986 game on a bitterly cold Cardiff day will live long in the memories of many rugby supporters for Thorburn's extraordinary penalty kick. It was measured at 70 yards, eight-and-a-half inches and remains the longest kick ever made in a rugby match. Of more importance on the day, it started to take Wales away from Scotland and another penalty, converted from the halfway line by Thorburn, clinched the victory.

ONeill

Quoteand he said I was away in the head

A sound judge
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

stew

Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.