The FAI Cup Final is today

Started by Shamrock Shore, December 02, 2007, 12:42:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shamrock Shore

Aristotle Flynn

Who would be the favorites? Cork? Is it on TV? I'll be watching the hurling on TG4 but I may flick over to see how it's going.
A tyrant must put on the appearance of uncommon devotion to religion.

dodo

Quote from: Shamrock Shore on December 02, 2007, 12:42:58 PM
Cork v Longford Town

Anyone care  ::)

Won't be too bothered really. Will listen out for result but will not be taking in match report.
Went to a FAI Cup Final in the mid 90s beyween Derry City and I think Shelbourne. A less than half full Lansdowne didn't provide me with too much entertainment.
Why have they waited three weeks after the end of the league to play this final ?

magickingdom

hope longford town win it, cant go for them cork boys in anything! i guess 'summer' soccer didnt include the fai cup..

J70

Quote from: magickingdom on December 02, 2007, 02:03:44 PM
hope longford town win it, cant go for them cork boys in anything! i guess 'summer' soccer didnt include the fai cup..

Summer soccer doesn't mean playing the entire season in the summer! The FAI Cup began back in the spring. The final is the last game of the season.

Longford were just relegated, so Cork must be fairly hot favourites. Hope Longford do it though.

magickingdom

Quote from: J70 on December 02, 2007, 02:23:53 PM

Summer soccer doesn't mean playing the entire season in the summer! The FAI Cup began back in the spring. The final is the last game of the season.

Longford were just relegated, so Cork must be fairly hot favourites. Hope Longford do it though.

think i know that j70! thought the inverted commas would give it away..

J70

Quote from: magickingdom on December 02, 2007, 03:19:26 PM
Quote from: J70 on December 02, 2007, 02:23:53 PM

think i know that j70! thought the inverted commas would give it away..

:-[ :-[ :-[ :)

deiseach

I'd rather Cork won it. The sooner these nouveau riche types like Longford and Drogheda fall away and keave soccer to the garrison towns, the better.

Rossfan

If anyone is interested Cork won 1-0.
I saw the last 20 mins after the 2 hurling games were over.
Talk about no entertainment value -- absolute boring sh*te  -and 10,000 crowd.
Where were all the Olé Brigade ? :P
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Onlooker

Probably on their way back from matches in England!!!.

TacadoirArdMhacha

Was at the final last year - amazing game which Derry won 4-3. I know its easy to knock the Eircom League but ya havta give credit to the lads who go week in week out to support their local team.

The reason the game is 3 weeks after the end of the season is due to the fact that the FAI bigwigs had a jolly in South Africa to concern themselves with last week!
As I dream about movies they won't make of me when I'm dead

J70

Quote from: TacadoirArdMhacha on December 02, 2007, 11:15:53 PM
Was at the final last year - amazing game which Derry won 4-3. I know its easy to knock the Eircom League but ya havta give credit to the lads who go week in week out to support their local team.

Absolutely. Finn Harps were getting crowds upwards of 3,000 towards the end of the season. It might not seem like much, but this is a provincial team playing Division 1 football, in a league where some teams would be lucky to get 100 people through the gates. I used to go regularly when I still lived in Donegal, and aside from one or two seasons when they were broke and hopelessly adrift in the first division, the standard of entertainment was not that bad at all. There used to be some thrilling nights of football, especially when the big Dublin teams or Cork City came to Ballybofey. One of the best games of soccer I've ever seen was the promotion playoff when Longford hung on to win on penalties (Harps had a strikeforce of Kevin McHugh and Brendan Devenney that night). Derry always seemed to be able to beat us, no matter what, so those nights weren't quite as good! :P

Billys Boots

Quotethese nouveau riche types like Longford

You've obviously never paid us a visit deiseach.   :P
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

Bord na Mona man

Quote from: deiseach on December 02, 2007, 03:30:12 PM
I'd rather Cork won it. The sooner these nouveau riche types like Longford and Drogheda fall away and keave soccer to the garrison towns, the better.
I thought Longford, Drogheda, Athlone, Monaghan and Stranorlar(Ballybofey) etc were all garrison towns...or is that meant to be the punchline?