Living Geniuses...

Started by 5 Sams, November 30, 2007, 11:41:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SeanSouth

Quote from: pintsofguinness on December 01, 2007, 09:41:23 PM
QuotePints,first of all my username is in no way in reference to "Sean South of Garryowen", Mandela actually said in his book "Long Walk To Freedom" that he "signed off" terrorism after the ANC blew up 20 people in a car bomb in Church Street, he would have been released in 1985 if he renounced violence, he refused to.
Why the hell would he?

As for accepting minority rule, i cant really answer that question, there is no easy answer, but if blowing up innocent people got them what they wanted perhaps a certain kind of person could say the ends justified the means. I accept your opinion but i would never hold someone as a "hero" that murdered innocent people.
:o
There is no easy answer?  Why is there no easy answer?  It's democracy - don't you agree with democracy?
Innocent people have been killed in wars since time began and sometimes the ends do justify the means. 
I'll ask again, do you think the blacks in South Africa, and Mandella, should have accepted white minority rule?  Yes or No?

I dont think minority rule should be accepted anywhere,one thing i will ask is the country in a better state now than 20 years ago? We both know the answer to that. As for innocent people being killed "since time began" may well be the case, does that make it right? I just dont go along with the whole shite when people are asked for their dream dinner guests, and it goes something like "Mandela, Michael Jordan, Pele etc", its just lazy and the populist thing to say and nothing you say will make me believe otherwise. Rant over.

pintsofguinness

I dont think minority rule should be accepted anywhere,one thing i will ask is the country in a better state now than 20 years ago? We both know the answer to that. As for innocent people being killed "since time began" may well be the case, does that make it right? I just dont go along with the whole shite when people are asked for their dream dinner guests, and it goes something like "Mandela, Michael Jordan, Pele etc", its just lazy and the populist thing to say and nothing you say will make me believe otherwise. Rant over.
I don't know much about the current south africa but I would say that it's a better country than when it had white minority rule. 
The deaths of innocents are always sad, the fact that people have to take up voilence is always sad but that does not mean we lie down and accept what's thrown at us and it does not mean blacks in SA should have lay down and accepted minority rule. 

This is the third time I've asked now, what should Mandella and co have done in SA? 
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

heganboy

Point of order:
Michael dell and bill gates are business superstars, and although gates is an accomplished nerd, dell's genius lies solely in his business acumen
Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity

deiseach

South Africa is far better than it was 20 years ago. Yes, crime is a major problem but it was back then and at least now the populace have equality before the law. Proof of Mandela's enduring genius.

pintsofguinness

Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

heganboy

QuoteSouth Africa is far better than it was 20 years ago. Yes, crime is a major problem but it was back then and at least now the populace have equality before the law. Proof of Mandela's enduring genius.

Sorry deisach but this is a complete non sequitur.

Ireland is far better than it was 30 years ago, Proof of Patrick Hillery's enduring genius

Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity

deiseach

Quote from: heganboy on December 02, 2007, 04:54:13 PM
Ireland is far better than it was 30 years ago, Proof of Patrick Hillery's enduring genius

:D Fair enough. I offer as evidence towards the idea that Mandela is a genius that South Africans of all races enjoy equality before the law, in no small part due to the efforts of Mandela. Suggestions that the levels of crime diminish Mandela's genius ignore that crime was bad back in the apartheid days.

As for Patrick Hillery, he certainly contributed to the enduring gaiety of our nation with his Ard Fheis attack on Kevin Boland: "you can have Boland, but you can't have Fianna Fáil!"

stephenite

Quote from: SeanSouth on December 01, 2007, 09:36:03 PM
Pints,first of all my username is in no way in reference to "Sean South of Garryowen"

I have to ask - if not in reference to Sean South of Garryowen - than which Sean South is your username in reference to?

full back

Suprised nobody has mentioned Michael Jordan yet. As sporting genius' go he has very few peers.
People mentioning Keane, Daglish et al as genius' need their head examined - good, maybe even great players but genius' FFS ::)

Great Leap Forward

Bob Dylan has to be included. The finest songwriter ever in many peoples opinion, including myself.

whiskeysteve

Somewhere, somehow, someone's going to pay: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPhISgw3I2w

whiskeysteve

Quote from: Great Leap Forward on December 04, 2007, 10:17:37 AM
Bob Dylan has to be included. The finest songwriter ever in many peoples opinion, including myself.

NOO, Chris Rea is miles better
Somewhere, somehow, someone's going to pay: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPhISgw3I2w

SeanSouth

Great Leap Forward

Quote from: whiskeysteve on December 04, 2007, 11:18:15 AM

I might start listening to Chris Rea when I am 40. It is sign of hitting midlife when you buy one of his CDs for the car.

whiskeysteve

Quote from: Great Leap Forward on December 04, 2007, 11:49:36 AM
Quote from: whiskeysteve on December 04, 2007, 11:18:15 AM

I might start listening to Chris Rea when I am 40. It is sign of hitting midlife when you buy one of his CDs for the car.

I think you will find Dylan has never created anything to match the genius of 'Driving home for Christmas'