Meeting of Grassroots to Discuss our Strategy re GPA

Started by Seany, November 30, 2007, 11:20:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DMarsden

No, but there are very few of the school yard posts here actually releent. for example, lambasting the gpa because of the actions of croke park is the height of supidity.

pintsofguinness

Quotelambasting the gpa because of the actions of croke park is the height of supidity.

I don't understand what you mean by that.
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

Farrandeelin

I guess by looking  at all the posts since my last one that I'm not the only one who thinks the GPA and their ilk are a lot like 'The lady doth protest too much methinks', I think the fact that they are so steadfastly denying that professionalism is in the game that they bloody know well it is by getting PAYMENT IN THE FORM OF GRANTS.

Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

orangeman

Will the GPA come out on TV and set ut what the increases they want over the few years ? Will it be based on inflation or based on what they can get out of the GAA - The GPA are very quick to point out that there would be no GAA without the county players - what about a GAA without the supporters ?

DMarsden

The point, which unsurprisingly has been missed, is that the gpa have no control over the actions of croke park. so whats the point lambasting the gpa for croker's actions?

god give me strength

Rossfan

Managers are being paid illegally since ...19 ?
Trainers are getting more than 50cent per mile since ......
Coaches are getting money ....
Doctor,Physio and so on.
All of this is being paid from money raised by GAA units either through Sponsors or Supporters Clubs and it's being paid out of certain unmentionable accounts -
You could say they are the payments that dare not speak their name to paraphrase whoever it was.
no major complaints from anyone about all of the above once it's well hidden under the counter/behind closed doors etc. and all of them payments are for more than €2500 p.a.
But then along comes the government and openly and oofficially and legally says it will give grants to Inter Co players and all hell breaks loose from some quarters.

RANK F****ING HYPOCRISY

As for the Mayo County Board - I hope J O'M is happy with his 50c per mile expenses.
Surely such a fine body of unanimous men like said Mayo Co board wouldnt countenance JO'M getting anything more.

HYPOCRITES the lot of ye
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

orangeman

Do the GPA have influence over the GAA then ???

Why did they threaten a strike ?

Who was going to suffer as a result of the strike ?

I personally would have loved to have seen a strike and seen Dessie and his ilke outside the gates of Parnell Park etc etc -

DUBSFORSAM1

Quote from: orangeman on December 09, 2007, 04:49:38 PM
Will the GPA come out on TV and set ut what the increases they want over the few years ? Will it be based on inflation or based on what they can get out of the GAA - The GPA are very quick to point out that there would be no GAA without the county players - what about a GAA without the supporters ?

Orangeman - Why don't you actually read and try to understand where the money is coming from???? IT IS COMING FROM THE GOVT (REPEAT THE GOVT) AND NOT THE GAA.....

orangeman

I am well aware that the payment for playing is coming from the government !

But I'm asking the question - why did you call a strike ? Why did you feel the need to strike and why was the threat to strike made against the GAA ?

Strike action wasn't going to worry Bertie - it was going to affect the GAA !

So therefore it was designed to put pressure on the GAA !

DUBSFORSAM1

Orangeman - For a very simple reason...

The GAA/GPA had agreed that grants were acceptable...this was put to the Govt and they agreed....the only issue was the GAA refused to distribute the grants...
This took 5 years with sign of resolving so they threatened a strike in order to get the GAA back talking and invovled in solving the problem...
Amazing how quick the GAA got back involved once there was a threat....

orangeman

So from now on if the GPA don't get their way, Dessie calls for a strike ?????

Well, to hell with that, if we're going to get a strike everytime things aren't to Dessie's liking !!!!

I think it's time the GAA called their bluff and decided to face the GPA down and see what happens when Dessie asks the employees to go on strike ?

What do you think would happen in the event of a strike ? How do you see it panning out ?

orangeman

Exactly Mid Louth - this is what I have been contending all along - all these GPA people are coming on and saying it is NOT pay for play !

Don't insult the little intelligence you believe we have - OF COURSE it's pay for play - players are going to put it down on their tax return - you put all earned income down on your tax return - this is earned from playing Gaelic games - so please don't say it's NOT pay for play - and by the way, when I'm at it, there are a lot of apologists for the GPA within the GAA hiersarchy who are also trying to tell us that the amateur ethos is still protected - I wonder would they go and catch themselves on as well !

Talk about spin ! My head's going round in circles there's that much spin !!!  :D ;D

bennydorano

Quote from: orangeman on December 09, 2007, 09:10:34 PM
, when I'm at it, there are a lot of apologists for the GPA within the GAA hiersarchy who are also trying to tell us that the amateur ethos is still protected

You're basically calling well respected GAA & GPA people liars with that statement, as it has been made abundantly clear on a few ocassions that amateur status is sacrosanct.  So much for respect for the GAA!

pintsofguinness

From Orchard County...

"REFEREE'S MORE ENTITLED TO GRANTS" - McGRATH

Former top referee PJ McGrath (Mayo), who took charge of the famous 1982 All-Ireland football final between Kerry and Offaly, has claimed that referees are more entitled to grants than players.

But he is still opposed to any GAA member receiving payment.

"I don't believe grants should be paid to anyone in the manner people are talking about, but if it is to happen, referees should be the first ones to get money," said McGrath, who is also a former chairman of the Mayo county board.

"They make huge sacrifices. Frequently, they are in their 40's, with young families, and they are gone Sunday after Sunday, and week evenings too. They get pittance in expenses to cover their journeys and, in reality, end up losing money.

"When I was refereeing at inter-county level, I had three sons in college. They were coming home at weekends and I was on the road refereeing. And no one can deny without referees, there would be no games."
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

bennydorano