Meeting of Grassroots to Discuss our Strategy re GPA

Started by Seany, November 30, 2007, 11:20:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pintsofguinness

QuoteI won't be supporting my county again.

Really, I can't believe that. Do you feel that strongly about this?

Yes.
To be honest, I was feeling luke warm towards the county last year over one of two different things and stayed away from the championship matches (I had attended the league and McKenna cup games I could) but this is the final nail in the coffin.

These people don't belong to my GAA and clearly have no respect for the ordinary GAA people like myself. 

I'm sure I won't be missed but that's how I feel. 
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

darbyo

QuoteI think it was Darbyo who suggested that county boards should replace the expenses they currently pay with these new grants - where would the logic be there ?

I'm afraid I didn't suggest that orangeman.

Quotedarbyo,are you retarded or stupid?

Always nice when children who have broken into their parents drinks cabinet join the debate. So to clear things up for you, I don't mind if lads get money from the government, appearance fees or a generous businessman. My objection to professionalism is based not on the money but on the fact that transfers would be common place and many clubs would be destroyed. But you might have garnered that if you had read the posts as opposed to just copying and pasting quotes.

QuotePro GPA supporters rely on what Dessie has said - if managers, journalists etc etc get paid then players are entitled to get paid as well  - so all they can do is perpetuate this falsehood by saying that every manager in the country gets a fortune of money ! Poor excuse and shows the weakness of their argument.

Yep that's right orangeman everything I've said has been inspired by Dessie.

darbyo

QuoteYes.
To be honest, I was feeling luke warm towards the county last year over one of two different things and stayed away from the championship matches (I had attended the league and McKenna cup games I could) but this is the final nail in the coffin.

These people don't belong to my GAA and clearly have no respect for the ordinary GAA people like myself. 

I'm sure I won't be missed but that's how I feel

I'm sorry to hear that POG and I hope you change your mind soon.

Quotedarbyo when you type insults expect it back.
one more time.

shamateur gaels you typed the first insulting post, now if you want to debate this issue in a rational, intelligent manner then we can do that, but if you are going to start posts with this 'I'll spell it out s l o w l y' then we can do without you.
                           So to start of the debate this quote 'engaged in by persons receiving financial return' doesn't make IC players professionals now. they get financial gain through legitimate expenses, so what is the difference?

Pangurban

Question From Shamameteur.....A question for so called forward thinkers.
Inter county players should be paid because parasite managers and trainers get dodgy money?
Did you ever agree with parasite managers and trainers getting dodgy money?
Yes? How much is too much?
No? WHAT WERE YOU DOING TO STOP IT?

Answer.   Prove this sweeping statement re. payments, or belt up

Bogball XV

The GAA at its upper levels has to have a long hard look at itself, in my view the constant drive towards revenue maximisation is one of the reasons why the GPA has been able to get support for its stance.  It's long been asked, where does the money go?  The GAA are known countrywide as the Grab All Association, for players, who drive this product it does get a little sickening, they hear of the GAA in high level talks over a €20M TV deal, they hear that the GAA are taking in approx €8M p.a from the rental of the ground to soccer and rugby, they hear that their mates are paying €50 to go and watch them play, and they've got to think, where does this money go?  What do I get out of it?  Are nests somewhere being feathered?  They think that everything in the organisation is professional apart from themselves, it has to rankle, and it is unfair, no matter what way we want to look at.
On re-reading this, (I rarely do, I know), I'm thinking, perhaps the top level are happy enough to move towards professionalism, they maybe think that it's inevitable and are backing this grant system as a way of making the whole thing a little more palatable when the move does come.  I wonder will the GAA see its capital funding cut by, oh, I don't know, €5M p.a  - who knows, but it's be something worth keeping an eye on - I can just see the Sindo headline, GAA and Govt in moneylaundering scam!!

Pangurban

Audited accounts are produced each year at Congress showing exactly where the money goes. Having said that, you may not be far  of the mark in saying that a few people at high level would be happy to see a move towards professionalism, and a profitable sinecure for themselves. They must be resisted and opposed by every means possible.

believebelive

Thats me finished! The GAA refuse to allow this issue go to the grassroots. It is a disgrace! I have played county football, club football and been a volunteer for the last 15 years and I can honestly say that me and the GAA have come to the end of the road. I do not mind the GAA changing direction but I cannot accept it blatantly ignoring the voices of so many members.
I may come back to this board in 15 years time when the ex county player is refusing to coach the under 14's in his club unless he gets 'expenses'.

Over and out!

Bogball XV

Quote from: Pangurban on December 09, 2007, 01:51:35 AM
Audited accounts are produced each year at Congress showing exactly where the money goes. Having said that, you may not be far  of the mark in saying that a few people at high level would be happy to see a move towards professionalism, and a profitable sinecure for themselves. They must be resisted and opposed by every means possible.
I know that audited accounts are produced, but that doesn't change the perception that there's a helluva lot of money floating around and it may not all be accounted for.  I don't subscribe to that view, but it'd be easy for Dessie to wind up the masses of players with a few such choice remarks.  In addition, audited accounts can reflect whatever the preparer wants them to.

bennydorano

O'Rourke spot on as usual.  What he says about the Ulster attitude/mentality is 100% correct, we do seem to spawn more than our fair share of 'Naysayers'.

pintsofguinness

Quote from: bennydorano on December 09, 2007, 12:43:50 PM
O'Rourke spot on as usual.  What he says about the Ulster attitude/mentality is 100% correct, we do seem to spawn more than our fair share of 'Naysayers'.

The reasons why the north was largely against rule 21 is obvious
Not sure of the reasons against rule 42 - I was in favour
However this one seems to have country wide opposition. 

DMarsden

Quite frankly, the level of understanding of the mechanisms of our own association are not good enough amongst the lads arguing the petty end of this debate all day.

i've missed 5 pages of "debate" and read back through it this morning. every question raised (as though it were brand new) has been answered ad nausem already.

There are a lot of begrudgers out there who oppose this (and every?) government grant scheme. these people seem to change their justification for this on an hourly basis, depending on who can come up with the next rehashed line of opposition.

Quote from: pintsofguinness on December 08, 2007, 11:44:53 PM
QuoteI won't be supporting my county again.

Really, I can't believe that. Do you feel that strongly about this?

Yes.

I'm sure I won't be missed but that's how I feel. 

Don't let the door hit you in the arse on the way out...

pintsofguinness

QuoteThere are a lot of begrudgers out there who oppose this (and every?) government grant scheme. these people seem to change their justification for this on an hourly basis, depending on who can come up with the next rehashed line of opposition.

What?
There are a number of arguments against the grants which have been consistently argued by a number of posters. 
Obviously everyone is not sticking to the same argument and putting it over and over again because:
a.  We're all different people with different opinions
b.  There are a number of arguments

DMarsden

This thread is a laughably incoherent jumble of nayesayers jumping on the most recent anti gpa thought. reasoned debate about the issues is very limited and soon washed away by the next orangeman or shamateur gael declaring that dessie is a bollox.

pintsofguinness

You could say the same about those pro grant jumping from argument to argument.
But there are a number of different arguments on both sides - is that too much for you to grasp?