Hatton v Mayweather December 8th

Started by The Claw, November 30, 2007, 01:28:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Norf Tyrone

I'd be a Hatton fan, but Mayweather was a class apart last night. Hatton throw most of the punches but didn't really get anywhere. Everytime Mayweather extended his arm Hatton was rocked. Notice when they showed a few slow mo seconds at the end of each round, and Hatton took a lot of slaps.

It had to be the worst, most officious boxing ref I ever saw too!
Owen Roe O'Neills GAC, Leckpatrick, Tyrone

Rav67

He was too interfering but I did actually agree with the point deduction, I know Mayweather turned but he still knowingly swung for the back of his head.  After the first 2 rounds Hatton was handed a boxing lesson as I expected, didn't think he would KO him though.  Hatton seemed to be hinting at dropping back down to light-welter again but he should stay at 147lb and fight De La Hoya because he's alredy proven himself at light-welter and to be considered a great boxer like Mayweather or DLH he's got to be prepared to move weights to fight the best around.

The Real Laoislad

Quote from: hardstation on December 09, 2007, 05:39:18 AM
Quote from: The Real Laoislad on December 09, 2007, 05:36:47 AM
ps did everyone else see the two busty ladies in the gold bras at ringside,you can see them when Mayweather is finishing Hatton off  :o
I was just going to say. The one on the right was bouncing up and down.
I knew you'd notice that.

It may have been after 5am in the morning but my  babe radar was still in working order  :)
You'll Never Walk Alone.

CiKe

boys you were listening to Ian Darke and Jim Watt too much. Cortes was terrible in the first three rounds but was fine thereafter. Hatton can have no quibbles about the point deduction. Jim Watt is an ex world champion and should know that Hatton didn't have to land that punch to be deducted a point - his frustration just got the better of him.

Hatton was talking about Mayweather using forearms etc - I thought Mayweather did that very cleverly and used the forearms to leverage room to then tee off on him. The only one I saw throw a blatant forearm/elbow was Hatton himself in one of the early rounds (think could have been round two). Mayweather was just cuter in every department.

I disagree with Rav, hatton should not stay at welterweight as he doesn't have the power to hurt the bigger men. I've said numerous times that I think Collazo beat him. There are bigger punchers than Mayweather at welterweight and I would be worried about Hatton being to brave for his own good. Himself against Ricardo Torres could be a great scrap while it lasted (this guy is probably the closest to knocking out Cotto in an absolute war a couple of years back before getting KO'ed himself). Malignaggi is an interesting fight for Hatton - wouldn't be able to hurt Hatton at all but the guy is very slick and slippery.

Puckoon

Quote from: The Real Laoislad on December 09, 2007, 10:13:58 PM
Quote from: hardstation on December 09, 2007, 05:39:18 AM
Quote from: The Real Laoislad on December 09, 2007, 05:36:47 AM
ps did everyone else see the two busty ladies in the gold bras at ringside,you can see them when Mayweather is finishing Hatton off  :o
I was just going to say. The one on the right was bouncing up and down.
I knew you'd notice that.

It may have been after 5am in the morning but my  babe radar was still in working order  :)

So thats what the kids are calling it these days... ;)

behind the wire

cike you may be able to answer this. was the guy manfredo that fought lacy the same guy that one 'the fighter' tv show? if it is him i believe calzaghe hammered the head of him in about 2 rounds at the start of the year.
He who laughs last thinks the slowest

gander

Dunno if he was on a tv show, but Calzaghe did beat him

SeanSouth

Quote from: gander on December 10, 2007, 09:48:59 AM

The show was "The Contender" i think, the one Stallone was involved in.

behind the wire

Quote from: SeanSouth on December 10, 2007, 10:00:36 AM
Quote from: gander on December 10, 2007, 09:48:59 AM

The show was "The Contender" i think, the one Stallone was involved in.

the contender is the name of the show alright. calzaghe did beat him. beat him well. i think manfredos corner threw the towel in in round 2. was out with a crowd of lads watching the fight on saturday night, i was arguing that calzaghe had beaten both manfredo and lacy but they wouldnt believe me. manfredo didnt even look in decent shape.
He who laughs last thinks the slowest

Galwaybhoy

Mayewather well deserved for the win.  I have to laugh after hearing so many people talking about Mayweather before the fight, the amount of people that hated him because he was too arrogant, many of them of course would say how much they loved Ali...

Sky were very biased, Hatton knew what he was at when he threw the punch to the back of Mayweathers head.  Also the ref had to break them up when they clinched and held, though he may hve done it a bit too quickly at times.  Hatton has great heart and just kept going after Floyd but Floyd was just too classy and good on the night.  Both men are a credit, great entertainment pre fight and for the last few months and while the fight itself was no means a classic it was worth staying up to watch.

Also disgracful that the English fans booed the American national anthem but other than that they added a great atmosphere to the night.

Homer

Quote from: Galwaybhoy on December 10, 2007, 02:09:54 PM
Mayewather well deserved for the win.  I have to laugh after hearing so many people talking about Mayweather before the fight, the amount of people that hated him because he was too arrogant, many of them of course would say how much they loved Ali...

Sky were very biased, Hatton knew what he was at when he threw the punch to the back of Mayweathers head.  Also the ref had to break them up when they clinched and held, though he may hve done it a bit too quickly at times.  Hatton has great heart and just kept going after Floyd but Floyd was just too classy and good on the night.  Both men are a credit, great entertainment pre fight and for the last few months and while the fight itself was no means a classic it was worth staying up to watch.

Also disgracful that the English fans booed the American national anthem but other than that they added a great atmosphere to the night.

Agree with every word or that.

gallsman

Whatever about Sky's Hatton bias, I've been watching the highlights on YouTube and the HBO analyst "Lederman" had the fight level after 7, 66 apiece. He gave Mayweather the 7th, meaning that even though Hatton had been deducted a point, he had him AHEAD going into the 7th! Who the hell hires these guys?!

heganboy

The hbo guys are not to be sniffed at on their boxing knowledge. They score not on how theysee the fight but based on how the judges have scored fights previously. In this case they felt that the judges involved tended to favor agression over inaction and it was on that basis that they scored fight.

Hatton knew he needed the knockout going into the 9th, and his corner told him. I disagree with the post above, I thought it was a great fight. The contrast in the boxers was amazing, and mayweather's preparation for the fight was exceptional. Hatton went in to the fight in exceptional physical condition, but his preparation on the body suit strapped to his trainer just wasn't remotely close to the narrow side on profile mayweather presented. Hatton's head movement was not even close to where it needed to be and his reach disadvantage meant that on charge after charge mayweather was catching him with strong punches on the way in. I also think that this performance from mayweather was miles ahead of that vs de la hoya. Some people say that de la hoya was always "in" the fight. I say that's because floyd was so far ahead of him that he could coast, that there was a split decision in that fight was a disgrace. I think hatton would beat de la hoya. Mayweather's camp knew hatton was more dangerous than oscar and treated the fight as such.

And mafredo and lacy were both beaten by welsh joe. Both looked poor on the undercard, probably understandable for lacy as it was his first time in the ring after reconstructive shoulder surgery, but all the same it was an awful fight. And manfredo was the guy from the contender, the calzaghe fight was far too soon for him, that he lasted the two rounds was a testimony to him, he was too slow too weak and too naïve for calzaghe, he should have been 2 years before he took on that fight, but money talks. Manfredo looked a broken man on sat night, no confidence. Lacy didn't look much better...
Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: gallsman on December 10, 2007, 03:18:26 PM
Whatever about Sky's Hatton bias, I've been watching the highlights on YouTube and the HBO analyst "Lederman" had the fight level after 7, 66 apiece. He gave Mayweather the 7th, meaning that even though Hatton had been deducted a point, he had him AHEAD going into the 7th! Who the hell hires these guys?!

I wouldn't say that was too crazy. I thought it was pretty close after 6 rounds. It was only after that that Mayweather began to pull away on the scorecards IMO. Mayweather as he often does took some of the early rounds off and did very little so you'd have to give some of them to Hatton purely on aggression.

PBF showed his class in the latter part of the fight though.

QuoteI think hatton would beat de la hoya

I don't think he would to be honest unless the ring rust has really begun to take hold of De La Hoya. I thought Hatton struggled to make an impact against the bigger Mayweather and De La Hoya is bigger again and no slouch in the skills stakes either. Maybe at this stage of his career De La Hoya would gas in the later rounds and Hatton could wear him down but I think Oscar would be too big and too skillful for him.

Interesting to see what Hatton does from here. For the time being he may be better off going back to the UK and finally fighting Junior Witter who has been calling Hatton out for years now. There won't be any fight with De Lay Hoya now anyway.

Rav67

Quote from: CiKe on December 10, 2007, 06:11:01 AM

I disagree with Rav, hatton should not stay at welterweight as he doesn't have the power to hurt the bigger men. I've said numerous times that I think Collazo beat him. There are bigger punchers than Mayweather at welterweight and I would be worried about Hatton being to brave for his own good. Himself against Ricardo Torres could be a great scrap while it lasted (this guy is probably the closest to knocking out Cotto in an absolute war a couple of years back before getting KO'ed himself). Malignaggi is an interesting fight for Hatton - wouldn't be able to hurt Hatton at all but the guy is very slick and slippery.

You're probably right about him not having the power to step up and hurt people the way he does at light-welterweight, but what the point I was trying to make is that in the pre-fight hype the Hatton camp and the media were building this up as the fight to decide who the best pound-for-pound in the world was.  If Hatton thinks he is anywhere near the top pound-for-pound fighters then I think he has to be prepared to be a wee bit flexible in terms of what weight he fights at.  Mayweather was prepared to step up to junior-middle to fight De La Hoya who (I think) had come down 7lb from his previous fight at middleweight.  Those two have won world titles at 5 and 6 different weight categories respectively.  If Hatton believes he is one of the really top fighters then I think he has to be prepared to move up a weight and not use it as an excuse for being outboxed.  If he does drop back down a weight again though, Malignaggi or Junior Witter would be capable opponents but wouldn't provide the same box office $ appeal.