Protein

Started by Mayo4Sam, November 28, 2007, 10:57:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mayo4Sam

Does anybody take protein for weight lifting?
Would always have been against the general idea, associated it with creatine but a mate of mine today was giving me the sell on it saying that u were wasting ur time in the gym without it.
Does anybody use it?
Know the positives/negatives?
I understand that u do need it to build muscles and u dont get enogh from ur diet if ur weight lifting but what are the down sides?
Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me

The Claw

I'll note at the start that I am talking here from a gaelic games perspective.
I usually take it for about 6 months of the year, doing weights before the summer months, then I would stay off it during the main part of the season.
Your friend may hve different goals to you. If you want to put on weight and build muscle mass, it will help but if you want to tone up or just get stonger, there is no need really.
As for positives, it is good where you may not be able to digest a lot of protein from your normal diet. The danger is though that some people have a shake instead of their normal meal, this is just shooting yourself in the foot. You need to eat normally and then take the protein on top of that.
Its always difficult when you dont have a picture of yourself to compare with of what you would be like if you didnt take it but in my opinion, if used as above, it will help build your muscles and will help their recovery.
As for negatives, there are some. The reason I stop during the main part if the season is because your muscle should be built then and you should only be doing lights weights as fast as you can, so there is no need to take protein. It can also leave you a little sluggish on the training field.
Also, some of the stuff they put into the shakes encourages the muscles to retain water, you must do weights on top of this or else the muscle will have no use for it. There is no point in taking it without doing weights.
I would also recommend if you stop taking it to continue on with weights for a couple of weeks or else the same will happen.

Tankie

I'm taking stuff called Cyclone at the moment and find it quite good. I took it before playing a rugby match last weekend and the recover time was much better too.

http://www.fitnessireland.ie/product_info.php?products_id=66
Grand Slam Saturday!

Bod Mor

I'm building up a bit of muscle at the moment and do not want to take Protein wheyy or any supplements.

You're way better off getting your protein from solid foods. Here are some foods that are high in protein:

Eggs, Tuna, Cottage Cheese, Turkey breast, Chicken breast, nuts (almonts peanuts etc). Include these in your every day meals and you should not need any supplements at all.
Ó chuir mé 'mo cheann é ní stopfaidh mé choíche
Go seasfaidh mé thíos i lár Chondae Mhaigh Eo.

Mayo4Sam

Its for gaa that i'd be doing the weights.
Between one thing and another i can only make te gym usually twice a week, sometimes 3, should i just be taking the protein immediately after i finish in the gym?
Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me

gallsman

Am I the only person who has an ethical issue with Protein or Creatine? Surely it's like taking any banned substance- a quick fx to catch up on people who've put years more hard work in the gym, no? Cheating is cheating.

gallsman

ML, a little flaw in your logic. Nandrolone occurs naturally in the body. How is someone taking extra amounts of nandrolone different to someone boosting their protein intake using supplements?

The Claw

Quote from: Aerlik on November 29, 2007, 01:51:38 PM

Are you sure about that first comment, Claw. What about those who train at night?  I have always read that protein is best after training as it increases muscle recovery.  Carbs is best earlier in the day.

Its what I've always been told. When you exercise, your muscles use up their store of glycogen and carbs are what are good to replace this, and then protein for repiar and growth.

Quote from: gallsman on November 29, 2007, 03:28:11 PM
Am I the only person who has an ethical issue with Protein or Creatine? Surely it's like taking any banned substance- a quick fx to catch up on people who've put years more hard work in the gym, no? Cheating is cheating.
SUppose there is a fine line Gallsman between protein and something more. The other way you could look at it is if two people have the flu and the person taking the antibiotics is taking a quick fix on the person who has come through it naturally. Thats a terrible example but its all I have.
Anyway, taking protein and creatine will be no use (they will do more damage than harm) unless you do the hard work in the gym.

gallsman

Regardless, it occurs naturally. Creatine and Protein supplements boost substantially the quantity of a particular substance a person has in their body, regardless of whether it is produced by the body or found in food. What's the difference between it and nadrolone?

The Claw

Quote from: gallsman on November 29, 2007, 04:10:17 PM
Regardless, it occurs naturally. Creatine and Protein supplements boost substantially the quantity of a particular substance a person has in their body, regardless of whether it is produced by the body or found in food. What's the difference between it and nadrolone?
Il turn your question around, what the difference between taking protein and eating two steaks instead of one for dinner? You are boosting 'the quantity of a particular substance in the body' in both.

The Claw

Quote from: gallsman on November 29, 2007, 04:29:12 PM
Agreed, eating two steaks instead of one boosts protein. However, food consumption is a basic part of human nature, even if two whole steaks might be a little sickening. Taking powdered forms of almost pure substances is not, never has been and never should be part of our nature. If one thing is legal, why not them all?
Your argument has logic but practically does not work. Many professional athletes take vitamin C tablets as their body fat is so low that they get the flu and other viruses easily. It is not natural to take this but it is only to stop infection.

gallsman

ML, I mean illegal as in professionally illegal, i.e against doping rules. Don't et me wrong, I don't judge anyone who takes it, I'm just wondering who draws the line and where. Vitamins are slightly different again due to the fact that they don't improve athletic performance.

nrico2006

Looking advice on protein supplements - how many table spoonfuls would be equivalent to 28grammes?
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

SidelineKick

Why 28g?  Did you not get a small scoop for use with your protein?
"If you want to box, say you want to box and we'll box"

Reported.

nrico2006

No scoop.  Recommends 28g per serving (I counted this as 2 tablespoons) - any idea how much I should be using?
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'