Roy Keane Hype

Started by Leo, November 27, 2007, 09:22:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

thewobbler

QuoteKeane is not perfect but I think it does take a little intellect to try and understand why he behaved like that.
That truly is some statement. Only a Keano-worshipper could believe that his behaviour was surrounded in mystique.

redcard

Quote from: thewobbler on December 22, 2007, 11:01:46 PM
QuoteKeane is not perfect but I think it does take a little intellect to try and understand why he behaved like that.
That truly is some statement. Only a Keano-worshipper could believe that his behaviour was surrounded in mystique.

What did I tell you :D I knew you wouldn't understand  ;)

thewobbler

yes, but the smileys don't make difference.

He let himself and his country down through arrogance and thickheadedness. There's nothing to analyse, only something to hide.

Solomon Kane

Keane will be next to get the boot. He may well regret ruling himself out for the ROI job. If he had an ounce of sense he would throw his hat in the ring now.

Maximus Marillius

Quote from: stew on December 22, 2007, 09:52:04 PM
Quote from: new devil on December 22, 2007, 09:35:39 PM
Quote from: stew on December 22, 2007, 09:25:17 PM
Quote from: under the bar on December 22, 2007, 09:20:52 PM
QuoteDefinitely a good defensive midfield British type of player - as far from world class as Liam Miller.

that statemnt would tell me you know as much about footie as gaa.

Keane was world class, as good as ZZ was imho. he was an incredible force and his will to win is legendary. ZZ had a lot more class on the ball but Keanes influence was every bit as great and he never took a night off, he ran his arse off every time he played and he made everyone around him better.

Keane was one of the best midfielders in the world...if he was english everone would agree because it would of been shoved down there throats that much by the media... hence Steven Gerrard FFS

The man is a legend...carried a shit Ireland team to a world cup then got fucked by that pig McCarthy (who is the only person i can say i truly hate)

Keane is as arrogant a man as you will ever find. he destroyed the morale of a team going into a WC finals that was probably the weakest in history and they could have won if he had played and he walked away from his team mates and let down his country and you blame all of this on McCarthy?

Keane was 31 at that time and was still a world class player and his behaviour was a disgrace and the fact that his team mates shunned him to a man speaks volumes about him as a team mate and a professional.

I can confirm that stew knows FA about soccer...to put Ireland and winning the world cup in the same sentence...what a dummy

stew

Quote from: Maximus Marillius on December 23, 2007, 05:08:17 PM
Quote from: stew on December 22, 2007, 09:52:04 PM
Quote from: new devil on December 22, 2007, 09:35:39 PM
Quote from: stew on December 22, 2007, 09:25:17 PM
Quote from: under the bar on December 22, 2007, 09:20:52 PM
QuoteDefinitely a good defensive midfield British type of player - as far from world class as Liam Miller.

that statemnt would tell me you know as much about footie as gaa.

Keane was world class, as good as ZZ was imho. he was an incredible force and his will to win is legendary. ZZ had a lot more class on the ball but Keanes influence was every bit as great and he never took a night off, he ran his arse off every time he played and he made everyone around him better.

Keane was one of the best midfielders in the world...if he was english everone would agree because it would of been shoved down there throats that much by the media... hence Steven Gerrard FFS

The man is a legend...carried a shit Ireland team to a world cup then got fucked by that pig McCarthy (who is the only person i can say i truly hate)

Keane is as arrogant a man as you will ever find. he destroyed the morale of a team going into a WC finals that was probably the weakest in history and they could have won if he had played and he walked away from his team mates and let down his country and you blame all of this on McCarthy?

Keane was 31 at that time and was still a world class player and his behaviour was a disgrace and the fact that his team mates shunned him to a man speaks volumes about him as a team mate and a professional.

I can confirm that stew knows FA about soccer...to put Ireland and winning the world cup in the same sentence...what a dummy

Well lets see, they did well without him, they did well even though they had been rocked to the core because they had lost one of the top three players in the world at his position and they did well despite being surrounded in controversy. If they had Keane they would have had a chance to advance in what was the weakest finals ever.

With Keane Ireland would have been very hards to break down, he had the abilty to make others better and given the teams that made the semi finals that year anything was possible, even the winners were very beatable over 90 minutes.

I stand by that statement. The ROI could have won that World Cup, any  one of 6 teams could have realistically won it and with keane Ireland could have went all the way in a tournament that was as weak as it gets.
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

The Real Laoislad

Lads come on it Christmas lets not fight over the whole Keane/McCarthy/Saipan thing again..Sure we all know Keane was wrong so can't we all just forget about it  and move on ;)
You'll Never Walk Alone.

stew

I played it for many years at a decent level and have went to many games. I have beeen coaching sawker for years and have a B certification over here which is pretty good. I coached because my daughter is a keeper and she starts for her high school varsity team, she was all state last year.I have also watched the game for almost 40 years and maximus, I know a lot more than you ever will you about bogball.

You have an FAI mentality there maxi baby, you think that Ireland is inferior and that is exactly the thinking that keane was fighting, he believed that they could win it and that was his goal, I would tend to believe that he would know more about Irelands chances in saipan that you would.

Did you ever kick a ball in your life maxi and what is the extent of your sawker knowledge?

stew

[
Whatever about Saipan my main hatred for Roy Keane is the Alfie Haaland incident. To intentionally injure someone on the football pitch is kn**ker behavior and for kids to grow up thinking it's good to be like someone who would do that is wrong and goes against everything to do with sport. The fact that to this day he has shown no remorse or regret about the incident says to me he is a twisted individual who has ruined everything good that he has ever done (and I wouldn't even begin to suggest he was anything but an exceptional footballer). To be honest I hope he does get the United job as I don't think he has the mentality to do be a good manager at a top club and failure at United will soon stop all the hype that surounds him.
[/quote]

As bad as the Haaland incident was to me his worst moment was in saipan when he drove a wedge between a panel of players and coaches etc that destroyed any chance they had to excel. He had legitimate issues but instead of waiting until the end of the tournament before speaking out he decided to obliterate morale and ruined the entire experience of every single member of the Irish contingent, this incudes many thousands of supporters who spent thousands of pounds each to follow the team.

ONeill

Like Stew, I do believe the opportunity was there to get to the final. Had they beaten Spain on pens, they'd've played South Korea in the quarters and a very average Germany in the semis.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Leo

Quote from: magickingdom on December 23, 2007, 09:25:35 PM

you and i seem to have different definations of world class, maybe you should stop using it in every sentence. keane was never world class at anything.

Throughout the over-hyped Keane - Man U period he was NEVER ONCE nominated in the annual "World 11" selections in the international sports press. As a so-called republic our subservience to the British premiership and its hype is astonishing and the immaturre Keane fanaticsm is the most potent example of this post-colonial complex. Why can't we just be satisfied that he was a good exponent of the Brtisih game, a poor example in terms of discipline, one of the best players this small island has produced (but by no means the best) and a disaster as a leader of his country. You couldnt think of anything worse to do as capatian of Ireland other than perhaps invite the Taoiseach to a Man U players' party (giving new meaning to the term "Christmas roast").

Move on Keane fundamentalists. He will fail at Sunderland and spend the next few years scraping around the managerial outbacks of clubs who never seem to learn from the shallowness of this hype - the classic fore-runner being Brian "Relegation" Robson. And all you wi;; have left to cling to is your poisoned view of the Saipan wreckage.
Fierce tame altogether

new devil

Lads we could argue all day about who's fault it was and who's it wasn't...i am never going to chance my mind about keaneo.In my eyes the man is a legend and a hero and to others he is a kn**ker...but i am glad we can all agree on one thing...Hes the best Irish player ever  ;) ;)

MERRY CHRISTMAS to all (apart from McCarthy)

stew

Quote from: new devil on December 24, 2007, 06:53:40 PM
Lads we could argue all day about who's fault it was and who's it wasn't...i am never going to chance my mind about keaneo.In my eyes the man is a legend and a hero and to others he is a kn**ker...but i am glad we can all agree on one thing...Hes the best Irish player ever  ;) ;)

MERRY CHRISTMAS to all (apart from McCarthy)

You are a sad man new devil. :-[

Croí na hÉireann

Quote from: thewobbler on December 22, 2007, 11:08:21 PMHe let himself and his country down through arrogance and thickheadedness. There's nothing to analyse, only something to hide.

Stopped reading here.

Well it wouldn't be Christmas without a Keane argument, all been discussed ad finitum, nothing to ad...

A few new defenders could sort Sunderland out in the New Year and the same goes for the Celts...
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

gerrykeegan

Laid up in bed for Christmas day with severe chest infection, didn't even make it down to folks for Crimbo dinner, feeling very sorry for myself, then wife to be plonks envelope on my lap. The Drumaville Consortium request the pleasure of your company to Sunderland v Bolton to be entertained in The Sunderland corporate box and i believe entry to players lounge afterwards, I'm going to tell Roy your still f**king fighting all these years on. I went to Japan for the world cup and have finally let it go. Come on lads let it go!
2007  2008 & 2009 Fantasy Golf Winner
(A legitimately held title unlike Dinny's)