Down Supporters

Started by THE MIGHTY QUINN, November 27, 2007, 07:58:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Are Down supporters tight arses when it comes to spending money?

Yes
11 (68.8%)
No
4 (25%)
Don't know
1 (6.3%)

Total Members Voted: 16

THE MIGHTY QUINN

With their 5 All Ireland titles and their proud Croke Park tradition Down are the envy of many counties in this fine Nation. However it has been suggested by some that this high level of success is wasted on a county whose supporters are allegedly too mean to spend money and enjoy themselves.

It's a well known fact that unlike most other All Ireland winning counties, whose supporters can be still seen at closing time on All Ireland Final day propping up the bars in hostelries such as Quinn's, The Big Tree and McGrath's, Down fans like nothing better than a quick cup of tea and a couple of salad sandwiches - finished off perhaps (for the more extravagant of them) with a McCann's of Newry pastry - by the boot of the car before hot tailing it down the road in time for the Sunday Game. Not for them the boast about how many pints they had before falling into a coma, they prefer to brag about how quickly they made it home and whether or not they were sitting down to their tea as the Angelus Bell rang on RTE 1.

So what is your experience of Down supporters?  Perhaps you're a barman in Dublin who was sent home early because of lack of business on the third Sunday of September in 1991 and again in 1994.  Maybe you're a baker in Newry who, in the days before the matches, made a packet from overtime working to cater for the increased demand for sliced loaves in the Frontier Town or a green grocer in Downpatrick who ran out of Iceberg Lettuce by lunchtime on the preceeding Saturday?  We urgently seek your views as we ask the burring question......Are Down supporters tight arses?

downredblack

"We hate it when our friends become successful" ;D

Bacon

A very poor attempt at a wind up. Stick to the speeding Quinn.
Down Championships Prediction League Winner 2009

THE MIGHTY QUINN

Laugh and enjoy it Bacon, there's no cost involved

Bacon

Laughing at your own (poor) wind up is the sign of a fool.
Down Championships Prediction League Winner 2009

Lecale2

:D :D :D :D

Great stuff Mighty Quinn!!!
I laughed so much I fell off my seat and broke 2 ribs. It's not so funny now.  >:(

lfdown2

:D :D :D

and now with this new road there will be no excuse te miss the angelus bell!!

THE MIGHTY QUINN

Well, unlike Gordon Brown who chickened out I've decided to go for a snap poll and with the polls now closed, the votes counted and the acting deputy returning officer and head of local police thanked for helping to conduct a fair and efficient election I can now reveal an overwhelming victory for the 'I think that all Down supporters are tight arses' camp.

I've received bagfuls of correspondence on the matter including stuff from others keen to share their experiences of Down meanness. One guy told me of one family who, rather than buying flags had their old Granny working round the clock on her old Singer 70 to run off bunting and banners which they subsequently tried to sell in a little stall by the roadside. However the passing motorists were to mean to stop and buy any.  Another spoke of how a husband charged his wife and children £5 petrol money for driving them up to Dublin in the family hatchback. However the mother got her own back by charging Daddy £1.50 for his tea and sandwich.  Sainsbury's in Newry reported of how sold out of bread and Mi Wadi diluting orange in the run up to both the 1991 and 1994 finals while finally the Jones Road local economy recorded loses on a similar scale to those anticipated in Old Blighty next summer following their failure to make it to Euro 2008 finals.  Psychologists link the meanness to the Down County Board who, unlike all other counties, only travel down to Dublin on the morning of an All Ireland rather than the night before like all normal counties. So there you have it.

Zapatista

I bet it was a Down man who voted "Don't know".

So tight they wouldn't even give ye their opinion.

Our Nail Loney

mighty quinn sainsburys didn open in newry to '97. obviously your a p***k

ziggysego

OK, this is the first time I've come into this thread. However it appears I have voted already....
Testing Accessibility

ziggysego

Aaah, was worried someone hacked my account.
Testing Accessibility

Square Ball

Zig

me finks that voting has been closed, I diddnt vote either.

anyhoo, I would have voted for as tight as a ducks arse, I drink with a few of them
Hospitals are not equipped to treat stupid

tyrone exile

:D :D :D funniest thread ive seen in a long time!!

passedit

I still have my confirmation money.

Driving home in 91, I was too miserable to turn the car heater on so i stopped at the Ravensdale instead.
Don't Panic