Coke and Croke

Started by Pangurban, November 22, 2007, 10:58:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pangurban

Given the recent allegations about Coca-Colas business practices, involving serious abuses of human rights in the un-developed world, should the sale of their products be banned in Croke Park and G.A.A stadia generally. Is this a case where the G.A.A. can and should make an effective stand for human dignity, or have we no ethical standards left worth fighting for.

ziggysego

Don't care what it costs the GAA financially, but we should take a stand against this.
Testing Accessibility

The Real Laoislad

There will always be 'coke' in Croke Park well on certain match days anyway  ;)
You'll Never Walk Alone.

ziggysego

Quote from: The Real Laoislad on November 22, 2007, 11:13:29 PM

International Rules games?

Jesus, what am I sticking up for Gnevin.

Screw it, this one was for his holiness!
Testing Accessibility

his holiness nb

Quote from: ziggysego on November 22, 2007, 11:17:42 PM
Quote from: The Real Laoislad on November 22, 2007, 11:13:29 PM

International Rules games?

Jesus, what am I sticking up for Gnevin.

Screw it, this one was for his holiness!

Bless you my child  :)
Ask me holy bollix

orangeman

Coke is widelt available in Croke park - all flavours and varieties - from approved and unapproved sources.

Rav67

TYP and Ziggy -

if you're suggesting the GAA taking a stance, do you not avail of Coca Cola products?  That would mean not drinking all the variation Coke brands (Cherry Coke etc), Fanta, Sprite, Powerade and a few bottled water companies and I'm sure other products that I can't think of off the top of my head or maybe wouldn't even realise if Coca Cola owned it.  I know of the human rights abuses the company is implicated in but I think a boycott, while a nice idea, is unworkable.

ziggysego

Quote from: Rav67 on November 23, 2007, 01:54:02 PM
TYP and Ziggy -

if you're suggesting the GAA taking a stance, do you not avail of Coca Cola products?  That would mean not drinking all the variation Coke brands (Cherry Coke etc), Fanta, Sprite, Powerade and a few bottled water companies and I'm sure other products that I can't think of off the top of my head or maybe wouldn't even realise if Coca Cola owned it.  I know of the human rights abuses the company is implicated in but I think a boycott, while a nice idea, is unworkable.

I don't drink it of them products Rav67. As for the water, I'm a strictly Rocwell Water man ;)
Testing Accessibility

Will Hunting

Banning Coke?!

Catch yourselves on ffs! How many companies would be left if we started boycotting over human rights issues?!

ziggysego

Quote from: Will Hunting on November 23, 2007, 05:35:15 PM
Banning Coke?!

Catch yourselves on ffs! How many companies would be left if we started boycotting over human rights issues?!

No-one suggested banning Coke. Just ban their advertising with the GAA.
Testing Accessibility

Captain Scarlet

Saw that show and to be honest very imbalanced piece (playing devils advocate)
They are linked with the Nazi's so what? at that time they were considered to be a great party rebuilding germany. Hitler was Time man of the year in 1938 i think.
Still sure every major comapny screws the developing world so if we ban coke we may ban addidas, nike and a host of other brands.
i dont drink their products of any kind at all anyway.
them mysterons are always killing me but im grand after a few days.sickenin aul dose all the same.

neilthemac

Coca Cola are the longest running sponsors in the GAA

sponsoring the Feile na nGael competitions since the stone age

Pangurban

So its okay to accept blood money. Cant say i am surprised by this response, its in line with the general ethical standards in Ireland at present. What a bunch of hypocrites we are.

J70

Quote from: Captain Scarlet on November 23, 2007, 06:22:29 PM
Saw that show and to be honest very imbalanced piece (playing devils advocate)
They are linked with the Nazi's so what? at that time they were considered to be a great party rebuilding germany. Hitler was Time man of the year in 1938 i think.
Still sure every major comapny screws the developing world so if we ban coke we may ban addidas, nike and a host of other brands.
i dont drink their products of any kind at all anyway.

Hitler was not named Time Person of the Year to celebrate what he was doing. The nominee is selected based on their influence on society for that year, whether for better or for worse, and no one had a bigger role in world affairs in that year (or the subsequent years) than Hitler.

You're right about it not just being Coca Cola though. Take a look at the football you're knocking around next time you're out. It was probably made by a kid in a sweatshop in Pakistan.

Zapatista

I think coke products are banned in UCD (open for correction).