3 (3.3%)
Smart arses.
15 (16.7%)
None of the above.
3 (3.3%)

Total Members Voted: 84

Evil Genius

Quote from: dubnut on December 07, 2006, 02:57:14 PM
" just as GAA appears to feel it can happily live without the interest of one million Irish people"

Funny I thought there was a few up North playing Gaelic football and hurling, thanks for clarifying otherwise  ::)

Indeed, there are very many "up North" playing GAA sports; it's just that very few of them come from the Unionist community (or "the "Brits" as they are sometimes known). Perhaps one of the reasons for this might be that they have somehow concluded that they might be "hated" by certain elements from within the GAA Community?  ;)
"If you come in here again, you'd better bring guns"
"We don't need guns"
"Yes you fuckin' do"

lynchbhoy

if pushed I would have to go along with rosnarun's sentiments

refs (and indeed GAA county or club boards/committees etc) that are not impartial, lack of consistency
or where there is injustice - thats what I hate (in most sports and life in general too).

dubnut

"Perhaps one of the reasons for this might be that they have somehow concluded that they might be "hated" by certain elements from within the GAA Community?"

Bull, they HATE the GAA, as Ian óg Paisley proves on a regular basis.

You are taking this poll way to seriously Evil Genius, it was a bit of fun for members of the board.
Not shit stirrers.

Evil Genius

Quote from: dubnut on December 07, 2006, 03:08:09 PM
"Perhaps one of the reasons for this might be that they have somehow concluded that they might be "hated" by certain elements from within the GAA Community?"

You are taking this poll way to seriously Evil Genius, it was a bit of fun for members of the board.

The quotation of mine which you include above had a "wink" smilie after it; it was meant to denote that my comment wasn't altogether serious... :-*
"We don't need guns"
"Yes you fuckin' do"

dubnut

Mayo4Sam

Stephenite u'll be happy to hear that when i vote neighbour i dont mean the rossies!
Hate is a bit strong but there is no nicer feeling than, as i flet as recently as 2 weeks ago, sitting with mates from ballina watching the saffron and blue knock 7 colours of shite outta them.
Rosnarun no need for a southmayoman to be pitying the parish of backs.

Dubnut i have to say evil genius is making some very valid points, even though his 1 million people living in ireland who call themselves british sounds far overestimated.
U said the poll was a bit of fun for members, of which evil genius is one
I have to agree with him on his observation that the blatent bigitory that is taken for granted on this board as par for the course by most gaaboard, and indeed gaa, members.
Just because u are a memebr of the gaa does not mean that u are automatically republican. I for one believe that northern ireland shoudl be its own independent state, free from both the dublin and london governments because i feel this is the only viable solution for a peaceful future. Having lived in the north i think there are a lot of people who would be happy enough with this.

But i fear that by posting sentiments such as this on this board I'll get branded a west-brit, a hun-lover etc, I'm not, my grandfather and his brothers fought in the war of independence for the IRA and my father and one of his brothers were on one side of the civil war while they had another brother on the opposite, pro-treaty, side. I consider myself to be a proud irishman but someone who can look at things as they are now in the 21st century and realise that the ideals that my grandfather and his brothers fought for will not lead to peace in ireland.

Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me

dubnut

Mayo, thats fine and your opinion, I strongly disagree with lots of it, but your opinion.
I do however take issue with a non GAA fans like Evil Genius joining up to stir things up specifically.
This is the ONLY reason he is here.
I would say he would be delighted to see us argueing amongst ourselves.
A kind of "mission accomplished" for him.

I saw it on the non GAA board and sadly now creeping on here.

dubnut

Mayo4Sam

I cant see from his posts how u think he's stirring things up, giving a prodestant/british view on things is hardly stirring it up. At no point does he go about calling anyone anything derogetary. He disagrees with alot of the slanted opinion that is posted here but this is a discussion board, are we that inward and backward that we're able to have a logical argument? His posts, or what i've read of them, seems to make a good argument of his opinion based on facts. he did say he came here to see exactly what gaa people were like and if this is the way he's treated i think its a sad indication of where gaa fans are at.

dubnut

"and if this is the way he's treated i think its a sad indication of where gaa fans are at"

I think you are grossly over reacting Mayo4Sam.
The only bad treatment he got was the errors in his posts being pointed out (as happens to all posters) and his motives being questioned.
From what I have seen on the non GAA board it is my opinion that he is here on the wind up so I said it.
Hardly dogs abuse!  :o

Evil Genius

Quote from: dubnut on December 07, 2006, 03:48:51 PM
Mayo, thats fine and your opinion, I strongly disagree with lots of it, but your opinion.
I do however take issue with a non GAA fans like Evil Genius joining up to stir things up specifically.
This is the ONLY reason he is here.
I would say he would be delighted to see us argueing amongst ourselves.
A kind of "mission accomplished" for him.

I saw it on the non GAA board and sadly now creeping on here.

Curious.

Mayo4Sam is "allowed" to post opinions with which you disagree, but not certain other posters, including me.
I note that the gist of your replies to my posts is generally to attack the messenger, rather than the message. Is this because you do not actually have any reply, or simply because you cannot see past (your impression of) the poster?
Just because my opinions might "stir" you, does not mean I joined just to "stir things up specifically", nor is it the "only reason" I am here. Rather, I visit this site because I am interested in what other people think.
And I am neither "delighted", nor am I in the least bit surprised, that posters on a Board like this should disagree on various topics, GAA-related or otherwise. That is because I do not see all GAA fans as being homogeneous (or "all the bloody same", as some would have it).

But that, in fact, goes to the very heart of my posts in this thread. Just as not every GAA fan is exactly the same, neither is every Irishman (or "Brit" for that matter). I personally think it a good thing to allow healthy dissent; by your attacks on me, it seems you do not.

Surely if people within GAA circles are to be allowed to hold differing opinions, then people without GAA circles should be accorded the same privilege?
Unless, of course, you "wouldn't have them about the place..."

GAA For All?  ;)
"We don't need guns"
"Yes you fuckin' do"

dubnut

"Attacks" ???

More so personal opinion Evil Genius.
It so happens that my personal opinion of you is quite low, surely thats allowed too?

Plus I questioned some facts in your posts too rather than "attack the messenger" such as your point that 1 million people consider themselves British.
This is not true. Funny you never retracted that!

Let it go Evil Genius, no-one wants to see another drawn out personal spat.
You gave your opinion, I gave mine, let that be that.

rosnarun

Mayo4sam just because you born on the wrong side of Nephin doesnt mean you can go accusing decent people of being from south mayo.
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

Mayo4Sam

I always got the impression u were a shrule man or from that neck of the woods, somewhere over there in the footballing wilderness near galway ;)

rosnarun

not a bit of it from a club cannibalised by the former all ireland club champions though we do cheer them on at this stage as most of the senior team are our players anyway
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere