Imagine

Started by Pangurban, November 17, 2007, 12:48:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pangurban

Imagine you were too wake up one morning in a strange Country, where the dominant theme  in Magazines, TV. and films was food. A place where images of food were employed by advertisers to sell all manners of products, and where there was special clubs where people could go to view food. You would probably conclude that there was a famine in this country or there was something seriously disordered in there attitude towards food. Now replace the word food with sex and the country is Ireland. Either there is a lot of people out there not getting any, or as some of the posts on this forum would suggest, there is a serious disorder in attitudes. Which is it

pintsofguinness

What posts are you talking about?  or do you mean just the obvious couple of threads where people post pics of size 8 girls they've absolutely no chance with and who probably couldn't hold a conversation with them?

Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

Pangurban

Thats one example Pint, and you wont have to trawl far to find others. I am not referring to any particular posters, just observing that juvenile sexual remarks pop up in discussion of even the most banal, sexually unrelated subjects. As a case in point take The Corny One For A Friday thread, the vast majority of contributed jokes are sexual orientated. Now i am not saying that is bad, just making an observation that there appears to be an obsession with sex

Puckoon

Pangurban,
I dont think its a strong case of anything you pointed out. Young fellas for years have joked about these things to each other over pints at the weekend, on the bus to games, at training. There is a line of common decency, one that most people would want to not overstep. While the remarks may be juvenile, many of the remark makers are from the middle aged generations who have no problem with throwing in a blatantly crass inuendoed comment here or there.
Maybe its the shift in attitute of Ireland globally towards sex now, considering our conservative background years?
I wouldnt say theres an obsession with sex. Maybe people are more comfortable with sexuality now and perhaps (unfortunately) dont think twice about attempting to be funny about it. As the bravado level kicks up, maybe the line of decency gets crossed as people (posters) attempt to out do each other.

pintsofguinness

Pangur, that's because real men talk about sex and make comments like some of the ones on this thread, when the line of decency was well crossed!

http://gaaboard.com/board/index.php?topic=5545.0

Puckoon

Quote from: Puckoon on November 17, 2007, 01:26:21 AM
While the remarks may be juvenile, many of the remark makers are from the middle aged generations who have no problem with throwing in a blatantly crass inuendoed comment here or there.

Pints I didnt want to name and shame!

pintsofguinness

Well I'm not one to tip toe around.

Pangurban

You are wrong Pints,real men do it, not talk about it like school-boys. The thread you referred me to underlines my point, it crossed the lines of decency was not even funny, and just contributed to the general coarseness of society which i am trying to draw attention too.

pintsofguinness

QuoteYou are wrong Pints,real men do it, not talk about it like school-boys.

I know I was being sarcastic, real men treat women with a bit of respect, particularly their own partners!

TacadoirArdMhacha

In the immortal words of Mr Thomas Tiernan.....

Ya were riding her.........................................

With your eyes
As I dream about movies they won't make of me when I'm dead