Dublin - bed and fed

Started by Gaoth Dobhair Abu, November 16, 2007, 12:30:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

Am in Dublin at the weekend with the lovely wife, was going to book the Burlington, anyone out there who can give me any info on the hotel, or any other recommendations for hotels in central Dublin.

Also need to sort out somewhere to go for a meal on Saturday evening - any recommendations on this topic would be greatly appreciated also.

Any replies by tomorrow at 11am as thats when I head off.  :-\

Thanks in anticipation.
Tbc....

marty88

I go to Dublin quite a bit and have stayed in quite a few hotels, the Fitzwilliam, Bewleys, the westbury, but the hotel were i felt i was the most value for money was the Hilton in Charlemont Place . A truly excellent stay IMO and would recommend to all.

http://www1.hilton.com/en_US/hi/hotel/DUBDUHN-Hilton-Dublin-hotel/index.do
"paddy bradley has got that killer instinct a forward wud commit murder for"- Mick O' Dwyer

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

Thanks Marty, will give it a look.

Anyone else.
Tbc....

Gnevin

Quote from: Gaoth Dobhair Abu on November 16, 2007, 12:30:44 AM
Am in Dublin at the weekend with the lovely wife, was going to book the Burlington, anyone out there who can give me any info on the hotel, or any other recommendations for hotels in central Dublin.

Also need to sort out somewhere to go for a meal on Saturday evening - any recommendations on this topic would be greatly appreciated also.

Any replies by tomorrow at 11am as thats when I head off.  :-\

Thanks in anticipation.
What sort of meal/food you looking for?
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

Somewhere nice, bit of an anniversary.

Not chinese, Italian or Indian.
Tbc....

Gnevin

Quote from: Gaoth Dobhair Abu on November 16, 2007, 09:37:08 AM
Somewhere nice, bit of an anniversary.

Not chinese, Italian or Indian.
I heard http://www.virtualtourist.com/travel/Europe/Ireland/County_Dublin/Dublin-296021/Restaurants-Dublin-Mongolian_Barbeque_Restaurant-BR-1.html
is nice but havent been their how about Japanese Yakamori on Georges street is lovely ?
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

Had a place like that up here GNevin, wife doesn't like Japanese, was thinking more plain Continental food, nice setting etc..
Also re hotels, what about the Burlington, whats it like, also whats the O'Callaghan Davenport like or any other recommendations?
Tbc....

AZOffaly

I've been in the Mongolian place, if that's the one in Temple Bar that cooks the food in front of you. I wouldn't think it'd be a place to go for an anniversary.

What's the name of that place up near TGIF on Stephen's Green? It's small, a bit pricey, but nice food and atmosphere.

5 Sams

It's hard to beat the Burlo for a bit of atmosphere and people watching in the foyer/lobby. Bit of a walk to Grafton St etc but don't let that put you off .....one of the better hotels in the city imho.
The Aristocrat Years

AZOffaly

I lilke the Burlo too, but it's a small bit 'passé' now. You can see it fraying a little bit about the edges. Also, is it still open? I thought it was shutting down recently?

Gnevin

Quote from: AZOffaly on November 16, 2007, 10:06:00 AM
I've been in the Mongolian place, if that's the one in Temple Bar that cooks the food in front of you. I wouldn't think it'd be a place to go for an anniversary.

What's the name of that place up near TGIF on Stephen's Green? It's small, a bit pricey, but nice food and atmosphere.
Dandelion?

http://www.dublinks.com/index.cfm/loc/17/pt/0/spid/49B20B62-BD1F-4030-A2D3C7132AAF73E7.htm
Dont like it

lynchbhoy

as this is v subjective, here is my opinion...

hotel - Burlingon or hilton are decent - hilton better located - beside a few better pubs etc..

restaurants
If its an anniversary, and you want a bit of a rosemantic setting, I'd recommend the following...(all European type as opposed to ethnic style – apart from where commented)

The ely wine bar & bistro
Salamanca (Spanish upmarket tapas place)
The clarendon
Rolys – Ballsbridge
Dobbins bistro
Fallon and byrne restaurant
Halo
Peploes (Italian, but not your pizza and pasta type of place)
The unicorn – italian ,same as Peploes
The Chilli club – thai, but good
Baan thai – best thai in Dublin (Ballsbridge)

http://www.menupages.ie/Dublin/Restaurants/City_Centre
check it out, any questions – I'll try to answer.

There are other places like L'ecrivian – which is posh, expensive but not great – from what we found...

Declan

Try Darwins restaurant  - 16 Aungier Street. Tel 4757511.

Fantastic food and nice atmosphere. Handy if you choose the Hilton as swell

Gnevin

Quote from: Declan on November 16, 2007, 10:26:51 AM

Yes very nice place I'd give it nine thumbs up  ;)

lynchbhoy

Quote from: Declan on November 16, 2007, 10:26:51 AM

yes, heard its good alright. Also heard that brazillian cafe around the corner from it is good too - though hardly the type of place for a romantic meal! Darwins is though.