GAA to launch big British drive

Started by thejuice, November 15, 2007, 09:22:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

thejuice

From Irish Independent: Thursday November 15 2007

The GAA is to launch a major drive to maximise its impact in Britain.

A detailed strategy, designed to cover all aspects of the GAA experience, has been drawn up with the aim of bringing Gaelic Games to as many people as possible in Britain over the next five years.

Areas such as structures and governance, games, grounds, finance, schools and colleges, culture and heritage, promotion and marketing have been targeted by the GAA Strategy Group for Britain, chaired by Cork's Christy Cooney who will be a presidential candidate in next April's election.

It's estimated that there are 750,000 Irish-born people living in Britain and the plan envisages getting an increased number of them involved in Gaelic games.

The GAA currently has 93 clubs affiliated in Britain, all fielding adult teams while one-third also field at underage level.
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

Gnevin

Quote from: thejuice on November 15, 2007, 09:22:31 AM
From Irish Independent: Thursday November 15 2007

The GAA is to launch a major drive to maximise its impact in Britain.

A detailed strategy, designed to cover all aspects of the GAA experience, has been drawn up with the aim of bringing Gaelic Games to as many people as possible in Britain over the next five years.

Areas such as structures and governance, games, grounds, finance, schools and colleges, culture and heritage, promotion and marketing have been targeted by the GAA Strategy Group for Britain, chaired by Cork's Christy Cooney who will be a presidential candidate in next April's election.

It's estimated that there are 750,000 Irish-born people living in Britain and the plan envisages getting an increased number of them involved in Gaelic games.

The GAA currently has 93 clubs affiliated in Britain, all fielding adult teams while one-third also field at underage level.

Change that to closer to 100% and the battle would be nearly won
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

thejuice

Getting it into the schools will have the biggest impact. Some schools in Birmingham and Coventry have it all ready and when you look at it that way its no surprise in the emergence of Warwickshire. While they may not be a competitive team there are some fantastic footballers and hurlers over here, just give it time. Right now its being held back by some clubs whose players only want to do it for the craic. I refused to play for such a club when i came over even though it meant travelling 16 miles to training instead of 1. Another thing might be getting the Championship shown live on regular British TV.
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

Gnevin

Quote from: thejuice on November 15, 2007, 09:36:17 AM
Getting it into the schools will have the biggest impact. Some schools in Birmingham and Coventry have it all ready and when you look at it that way its no surprise in the emergence of Warwickshire. While they may not be a competitive team there are some fantastic footballers and hurlers over here, just give it time. Right now its being held back by some clubs whose players only want to do it for the craic. I refused to play for such a club when i came over even though it meant travelling 16 miles to training instead of 1. Another thing might be getting the Championship shown live on regular British TV.
All-Ireland or British club?
Sky slots are quite cheap is this what your thinking or more along the lines on BBC ,ITV or C4 ?
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

clarshack

Right now its being held back by some clubs whose players only want to do it for the craic.

loads of players are lost to the GAA every year in ireland because it gets too competitive. players should have a choice of playing leisurely as well.

BennyHarp

The appointment of GAA development officers in each of the main GAA playing counties in the UK is a welcome step forward as well, it will be interesting to see their remit. For example, will they have the powers to over rule county boards in terms of structures already in place for under age football? If a more GOAL games type idea was suggested at the expense of competitive (pointless) under 10, 12 and 14 championships would county boards allow that to happen?? Schools are keen to get new sports added to their options for PE and after school enhancements. There is a gap in most schools for a game that offers something different from rugby and soccer, its just a matter of having someone with a bit of drive to follow this through! It would be a positive scenario if a development officer was co-ordinating the introduction of the game to schools as well as overseeing the new players integration at club level! More players will eventually lead to more clubs and better competiton at under 16 and minor level where i feel the big problem in keeping players lies as we simply have no games for them to play!
That was never a square ball!!

orangeman

I wonder what the money will be like in England - the money is usually always better in England especially in London, so you could see a few GPA reps popping up in London ! LOL LOL

BennyHarp

Maybe thats why Donal O'Neill left the GPA - he could be the new GAA development officer in Yorkshire!
That was never a square ball!!

orangeman

Looks like the money is going to be better in England - they'll be able to get all sorts of grants for getting all nationalities to start playing - Donal will end up with a bigger job out if it - not sl slow is our Donal !

thejuice

Quote from: clarshack on November 15, 2007, 10:01:49 AM
Right now its being held back by some clubs whose players only want to do it for the craic.

loads of players are lost to the GAA every year in ireland because it gets too competitive. players should have a choice of playing leisurely as well.

Perhaps but when you turn up to play a game and the opposition or half your teammates dont bother, it puts everyone off. The team I refused to play for ddint even train midweek with the exception of about 4-5 lads.

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

I think this is fantastic news, the development and promotion of our games is essential to the future survival of Gaelic Games.

There is a massive (relatively) untapped pool to be developed in England, Scotland and to a lesser extent Wales - hopefully this proves to be a successful venture.
Tbc....

darbyo

While obviously getting as many Irish (of whatever generation) to play is initially important, getting the non-Irish to play is the key. With that in mind shouldn't the GAA allocate a certain proportion of free tickets to big games like All-Ireland OF and SF to the British GAA. Pick one area, for example London, give them 5,000 free tickets to distribute to players and their parents from various clubs and schools. They can play a game against  Irish teams while here, or maybe organize a blitz competition in one of the Dublin clubs involving lower level Irish teams and the English teams.
                     I think it's important to get the parents involved in this type of thing as they are the ones who will have to ferry players to training, pay for membership, boots etc. if they get to meet each other spend some time with the development officers, club coaches etc. then they might develop a love for the games themselves. Factor in the Croke Park effect and the possibility that their kids could play there themselves and I think we might have a winner.

carnaross

Quote from: BennyHarp on November 15, 2007, 10:26:16 AM
The appointment of GAA development officers in each of the main GAA playing counties in the UK is a welcome step forward as well, it will be interesting to see their remit. For example, will they have the powers to over rule county boards in terms of structures already in place for under age football? If a more GOAL games type idea was suggested at the expense of competitive (pointless) under 10, 12 and 14 championships would county boards allow that to happen?? Schools are keen to get new sports added to their options for PE and after school enhancements. There is a gap in most schools for a game that offers something different from rugby and soccer, its just a matter of having someone with a bit of drive to follow this through! It would be a positive scenario if a development officer was co-ordinating the introduction of the game to schools as well as overseeing the new players integration at club level! More players will eventually lead to more clubs and better competiton at under 16 and minor level where i feel the big problem in keeping players lies as we simply have no games for them to play!

Well said Benny.

Schools are a ready-made opportunity to tap into and clubs can help with that. More competition as a result of more players can only be good news for all concerned. As always though, some clubs will do much more tham others.
These new officers need to hit the ground running, they need to develop a deep knowledge of what's already happening in the counties whilst also getting to know all the personnel involved both in clubs and schools. This will be no easy task for some if they don't already come from the counties they are employed in. I wonder how they'll cope with the baby-sitting factor!!
It is disappointing that some candidates were not informed about their interviews last week in Coventry and also that the Dion money will be held in Dublin by the GAA rather than Provincial Council in Britain. Also, it is unusual for a volunteer to administer a paid employee as will be the case in each county. I think the last two points need to be rethought and changed.
I am confident, however, that with professional organisation and co-operation from all concerned, these guys will do a great job and the GAA will benefit to a great extent.
Anyone travelling to Leeds to work/study are welcome to join St. Benedicts Harps GAA in Leeds.

u bent op uw

Agree with the vast majority of what you and Benny have said Carnaross.

I wouldn't be so hung up on having somebody from outside the Counties being brought in. A good honest analysis of what is currently going on would be beneficial and a fresh face might do that better than an 'insider'. I hope those eventually employed can bring all the elements together and drive the development foward. A positive move without a shadow of doubt and great for Gaels in Britain.

carnaross

I hear a number of people have been appointed in some counties. Anyone know who, where and to what mandate they'll be working. I'm led to believe candidates were interviewed without any form of job specification. Will these guys be CRB checked prior to going into schools and will they have their Child Protection certificate? If not, there will be a lengthy delay in them starting.
Anyone travelling to Leeds to work/study are welcome to join St. Benedicts Harps GAA in Leeds.