Clash Of Colours

Started by Leo, November 14, 2007, 11:38:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AZOffaly

What is Derry's official colours now anyway. in the 80's and 90's I can only remember them wearing white, with a red band. Now I can't remember them in anything other than the inverse. Did they 'do a Sligo'?

the green man

Its an age old debate, but as far as I'm aware Derrys official colours are red with white hoop.

Lecale2

Quote from: the green man on November 15, 2007, 04:43:20 PM
Its an age old debate, but as far as I'm aware Derrys official colours are red with white hoop.

I always thought it was the other way around.

HowdyDoody

portlaoise and the team from louth wore county jerseys on sunday

Frank Casey

Quote from: J70 on November 14, 2007, 01:18:40 PM
Kerry playing Mayo is always a pain in the arse because they rarely change to alternative colours. There is no way teams should be allowed to play each other with both wearing jerseys with predominantly the same colours. At least Donegal generally use their old green/gold hoop gear or the Ulster colours when needed, although a few years back they ended up borrowing Roscommon's blue jerseys for a game down at Hyde Park because someone forgot to pack the green jerseys!

Probably explains why the Mayo fellows always seemed to pass to a Kerryman in recent finals. Inability to score can be explained as a fear of making an "own score".

Makes perfect sense now. ;)
KERRY 3:7

stephenite

Both Ballina and St Brigids wear Green and Red AFAIK, considering the Stephenites have home advantage for the Connacht Club final should St. Brigids have to wear an 'away' strip?

JOEPPT

In the Tyrone County final Dromore played in yellow as they lost the toss. Caolisland played in theiir usual blue

CompulsoryTillager

this is a pet peeve of mine, there's no logical reason why things like this can be avoided. it's the inconsistency more than anything that's annoying, Mayo wore red in the 04 AIF, but the following year when both Kerry and Mayo had the same jerseys as 04, neither changed. Then you had Meath and Donegal wearing provincial colours in 02 when they met, even though far closer colour clashes have been allowed.

(Scroll to bottom of page): http://www.sportsfile.com/fotoweb/Grid.fwx?columns=4&rows=5&folderid=5000&SF_GROUP1_BOOLEAN=and&SF_FIELD1_GROUP=1&SF_FIELD1=cork+and+armagh+and+2007&SF_FIELD2=&x=0&y=0

hheurebag

we played in a game once, with a team with th identical strips

the toss was to decide who played wey no shirts on....

gud steam boys

Gnevin

Quote from: hheurebag on November 16, 2007, 11:08:51 PM
we played in a game once, with a team with th identical strips

the toss was to decide who played wey no shirts on....

gud steam boys
And it never occurred to anyone to turn one set of gear inside out?

You'll really need to try harder  ::) ::)
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

Zapatista

There are no home or away jerseys in GAA. Most teams have more than one set of jerseys but these are niether home nor away!

Dromore wore yellow at a more than one game in the Tyrone Championship (against Galbally I think?). After the final a Dromore man  told me he attended the game with an auld fella who hadn't been to a game in years and had to be told, late into the game, that he was shouting for the wrong team.

the Deel Rover

Quote from: stephenite on November 15, 2007, 11:35:23 PM
Both Ballina and St Brigids wear Green and Red AFAIK, considering the Stephenites have home advantage for the Connacht Club final should St. Brigids have to wear an 'away' strip?

Ballina will be wearing the green and red stephenite, they tossed for it and ballina won, should be a good game looking forward to it. St Brigids are are good outfit and ballina will have to play well to beat them.
Crossmolina Deel Rovers
All Ireland Club Champions 2001

Rossfan

Quote from: the Deel Rover on November 17, 2007, 09:56:51 AM

Ballina will be wearing the green and red stephenite, they tossed for it and ballina won, should be a good game looking forward to it. St Brigids are are good outfit and ballina will have to play well to beat them.

Maybe Bridget's should get hold of a set of Kerry Jerseys  ;) They seem to always work wonders against Mayo lads  :D
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

the Deel Rover

Quote from: Rossfan on November 17, 2007, 01:45:33 PM
Quote from: the Deel Rover on November 17, 2007, 09:56:51 AM

Maybe Bridget's should get hold of a set of Kerry Jerseys  ;) They seem to always work wonders against Mayo lads  :D

did it take you long to think of that one Rossfan ;) anyway you wouldn't know they might do that afterall Jack o' connor has trained them a few times allready ( no payments i presume only milage and a meal ) so he might have a set of green and gold jerseys for the lads
Crossmolina Deel Rovers
All Ireland Club Champions 2001

Rossfan

They had a Co Roscommon resident named O'Mahony helping out last year .
They certainly only seek the assistance of good ones.
I dont suppose ye fellas would ask a certain Co Mayo resident and Inter Co manager to rui...... help ye out. :D
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM