Clash Of Colours

Started by Leo, November 14, 2007, 11:38:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Leo

Could some uniform rule not be introduced whereby the clash of team colours can be minimised for the benefit of players and spectators alike. Two instances:

An elderly uncle (retired clergyman who knows nothing about GAA but there ye go) comes to the house of a Sunday to dine and watch whatever is on TG4 (or indeed RTE when they are not at Finn Harps). Tipperary vs. Clare is on. I am away at a local game. He has the poor missus distrauhht changing his glasses and moving him closer to the TV so that he can make out one team from the other.

Sitting at the recent Mayobridge vs. Dromre club game, good seat in the stand, one team sky blue the other in (dare I say it) royal blue. As the sun dipped in the sky an elderly gentleman in front of me was having great problems telling the teams apart. Turns out he is a former top Croke Park GAA official! Heard him complain that nothing is ever done to anticipate this problem (maybe he should have done something about it in his day).

Solution? Each visiting team should be required to carry an alternative strip and approval to be given by the referee before the teams take the field. The alternative strip should be as far removed in colours and design from normal strip as possible. Similar issues crop up with goalkeepers from time to time.
Fierce tame altogether

johnneycool

I thought that if there was deemed to be a clash of colours like the Dromore/Mayobridge game that you talked about then both teams had to wear their county colours.

When we played Newtownshandrum of Cork in an AI semifinal a few years back and there was a clash of colours, they wore the Munster blue jerseys and we wore an Ulster jersey at our own expense I might add.

I suppose there is no point in a team from Cork and a team from Down switching to their county colours as the same problem arises!

GalwayBayBoy

When Salthill played St Gall's in the All-Ireland club final in the 2006 both sides played in their county colours. Same situation. Salthill play in sky blue. Gall's in darker blue.

saffron sam2

Why then did Cavan Gaels were white and not blue against St. Gall's?
the breathing of the vanished lies in acres round my feet

muppet

QuoteEach visiting team should be required to carry an alternative strip and approval to be given by the referee before the teams take the field.

Of course the ref would need an eye test for this to work and we really don't want to see eye tests introduced for refs, do we? Also if a County Board diagreed with the refs decision they could object to any subsequent result and appeal to the CRC, CC, ABC until Frank.....err the CB got the result they wanted.

Shirts and skins are a better solution, especially for the camogie.
MWWSI 2017

J70

Kerry playing Mayo is always a pain in the arse because they rarely change to alternative colours. There is no way teams should be allowed to play each other with both wearing jerseys with predominantly the same colours. At least Donegal generally use their old green/gold hoop gear or the Ulster colours when needed, although a few years back they ended up borrowing Roscommon's blue jerseys for a game down at Hyde Park because someone forgot to pack the green jerseys!

Gnevin

Quote from: J70 on November 14, 2007, 01:18:40 PM
Kerry playing Mayo is always a pain in the arse because they rarely change to alternative colours. There is no way teams should be allowed to play each other with both wearing jerseys with predominantly the same colours. At least Donegal generally use their old green/gold hoop gear or the Ulster colours when needed, although a few years back they ended up borrowing Roscommon's blue jerseys for a game down at Hyde Park because someone forgot to pack the green jerseys!
Kerry have a set of blue Jersey that get a run out in the league every year  , i dont know why why dont use it for clashes like this.
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

ludermor

Kerry playing Mayo is always a pain in the arse for Mayo as well and nothing to do with the jerseys!

Gnevin

Anyone know the colours of the British Council?
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

heineken_on_tap

They probably just wanted the honour of putting on the famous Rossies jersey , once in a life time dream and all that ;)

Louth Exile

Quote from: Gnevin on November 14, 2007, 01:28:54 PM
Kerry have a set of blue Jersey that get a run out in the league every year  , i dont know why why dont use it for clashes like this.
I thought that Kerry only wear blue when they need to and it is blue because it is the munster colours! Could be wrong though
St. Josephs GFC - SFC Champions 1996 & 2006, IFC Champions 1983, 1990 & 2016 www.thejoesgfc.com

AZOffaly

Kerry released a Blue jersey of their own, rather than a 'Munster' Jersey as such. They have a couple of them now, but I think they only used the one that looked like a version of the old Southampton jersey once or twice. They used it against Offaly in a league game anyway.

I think the rationale for the Blue is that it is the Munster colours though, so you are right there.

Offaly's 'away' jersey is not the Green of Leinster, although we did wear it once or twice back in the 80s. Offaly's away is the famous White with Green and Gold stripes around the Chest area, as per the AIF of 1982. There was one before that in 1981 I think which was white with a green and gold stripe lengthways down the right hand side of the jersey, like some of the soccer jerseys of the time as well. That one was awful, but I like the current change jersey.

downredblack

The last couple colour  clashes from a down point of view have been against Louth in Drogheda , The last day Louth changed to white and the time before that I think both teams played in red ( could be wrong ) . Is it up to the home team to change or had O'Neills not sorted out the away gear for Down at the time ?

Gnevin

Quote from: AZOffaly on November 15, 2007, 12:14:45 PM
Kerry released a Blue jersey of their own, rather than a 'Munster' Jersey as such. They have a couple of them now, but I think they only used the one that looked like a version of the old Southampton jersey once or twice. They used it against Offaly in a league game anyway.

I think the rationale for the Blue is that it is the Munster colours though, so you are right there.

Offaly's 'away' jersey is not the Green of Leinster, although we did wear it once or twice back in the 80s. Offaly's away is the famous White with Green and Gold stripes around the Chest area, as per the AIF of 1982. There was one before that in 1981 I think which was white with a green and gold stripe lengthways down the right hand side of the jersey, like some of the soccer jerseys of the time as well. That one was awful, but I like the current change jersey.
I heard that Kerry use to wear blue but as this is a throw back to that

Doire abú

And we ALWAYS have to wear the away jersey versus Tyrone!!