Is it accepatble to slap a child?

Yes, why not, they're smaller they can't fight back
Only for Discipline
No, it's Child Abuse
Naughty Step approach

pintsofguinness

Quote from: Snowed Under on November 13, 2007, 08:00:21 PM
Quote from: pintsofguinness on November 13, 2007, 07:43:33 PM
and then what?  Walk around a supermarket with him acting up?
Or what if you couldnt carry him or had 2 or 3 other children to look after?

Well that would be stupid; I persumed you meant on the way back to the car; when you have kids you can easily judge their moods; if one wasn't in the form for going shopping he'd be left with me whilst his mum shopped or vice versa; they don't just go psycho within a car trip to the shopping centre.
So instead of disciplining your children you work around their moods, that's how you spoil them. 
Of course they can kick up within a car trip to the shopping centre!
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

Snowed Under

Quote from: pintsofguinness on November 13, 2007, 08:15:10 PM
Quote from: Snowed Under on November 13, 2007, 08:00:21 PM
Quote from: pintsofguinness on November 13, 2007, 07:43:33 PM
and then what?  Walk around a supermarket with him acting up?
Or what if you couldnt carry him or had 2 or 3 other children to look after?

Well that would be stupid; I persumed you meant on the way back to the car; when you have kids you can easily judge their moods; if one wasn't in the form for going shopping he'd be left with me whilst his mum shopped or vice versa; they don't just go psycho within a car trip to the shopping centre.
So instead of disciplining your children you work around their moods, that's how you spoil them. 
Of course they can kick up within a car trip to the shopping centre!

Yeah I spoil my kids, I love them which is why I don't go round slapping them or have them slapping other kids.

pintsofguinness

And that's what's wrong with society today.

Snowed Under

I beg to differ if more parents spent more time with their kids teaching them and spoiling them there would be no need for slapping - why can't you spoil the most precious people in your life?

pintsofguinness

Quote from: Snowed Under on November 13, 2007, 08:45:29 PM
I beg to differ if more parents spent more time with their kids teaching them and spoiling them there would be no need for slapping - why can't you spoil the most precious people in your life?
Most parents won't slap now, or discipline for that matter because the kids spend most of the time with a babysitter. 
Spoiling is fine but there is a happy medium, giving your child everything they want isnt the best way to teach them about the world.

Snowed Under

Quote from: pintsofguinness on November 13, 2007, 09:03:37 PM
Most parents won't slap now, or discipline for that matter because the kids spend most of the time with a babysitter. 
Spoiling is fine but there is a happy medium, giving your child everything they want isnt the best way to teach them about the world.

Either is slapping them if they don't conform to an adults way of thinking.

supersarsfields

Well I disagree Snowed under. What happens when that child that's been spoilt so badly grows up and gets out into the real world? Suddenly he/she's going to meet a load of people that aren't like their parents and aren't going to judge them by their moods. Suddenly life isn't so easy for them and their not used to it.
I do believe that reward/ punishment is the best method. Just not the only one.

lynchbhoy

why argue folks

we obv all have differing methods for rearing kids. Circumstances etc will make even these ideals change in certain situations.
All told, as long as the parent takes an interest and looks after the kid(s) thats good.
Plenty of parents dont really give a fiddlers and let the kids run amok after they are born, the only part the parents play is in geting them fed and possibly sending them to school.

I am sure your passion will not be lost on whatever kids you are rearing/minding - whatever your methods or techniques !

THE MIGHTY QUINN

Snowed, what ages are your kids?

stew

because when you spoil them they become entitled wee feckers. a good boot up the arse  by your da never did any man any harm.

You dont love your kids any more than the next man because you spoil them.
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

Snowed Under

Quote from: stew on November 14, 2007, 01:23:03 AM

because when you spoil them they become entitled wee feckers. a good boot up the arse  by your da never did any man any harm.

You dont love your kids any more than the next man because you spoil them.

People are losing the plot with this thread;  I never said I love my kids more than the next man; unconditional love is not mesurable but there are extremes of spoiling - rewarding them for good behaviour; spending every hr your not working with them; taking them to the zoo; park or whatever at the weekend; going to cinema with them etc to me is spoiling - is that going make them wee feckers - I think not.

supersarsfields

Same way there's levels of a clip around the ear. People here aren't taking about belting children with a black belt. Just a light clip that will let them know they have been misbehaving.

lfdown2

Yeah I spoil my kids, I love them which is why I don't go round slapping them or have them slapping other kids.
[/quote]

do parents who discipline their children this way not love them, or love them less?

lynchbhoy

as long as you dont slap 'wee dafties'

Snowed Under

Quote from: Snowed Under on November 13, 2007, 07:22:53 PM
Quote from: his holiness nb on November 13, 2007, 07:14:02 PM
Quote from: Snowed Under on November 13, 2007, 07:08:13 PM
Quote from: his holiness nb on November 13, 2007, 06:55:59 PM
Quote from: Snowed Under on November 13, 2007, 06:48:39 PM

And you have a full census count of disabled people in any one area.  You tried to be funny it didn't work - and btw if the cap fits and all that.  ;)

Thats is truly pathetic.
I wasnt trying to be funny, if you have ever been to the shopping centre I was referring to, there are always rows and rows of empty disabled spaces not being used.
That was what I based my comment on, sorry if I cant be more scientific  ::)

And what about your suggestion that I park in disabled spaces? Is that what the "if the cap fits" comment was about? If so it makes no sense and you still owe an apology, otherwise you are both a liar and a coward.

* Incidentally as you have no intentions of retracting or apologizing for your claim that I park in disabled spaces I have reported you to the mods.
Not something I like to do but you are deliberately posting character damaging lies about me and refusing to admit they are untrue.

Knock yourself out kid.  :-*

Done, you told lies about me and made no attempt to even admit it wasnt true.
I wont accept lies or bullying on here from the likes of you. I dont usually call for people to be banned, but I am in this case.
Its with the mods now, you were way over the line.

Quote from: Snowed Under on October 19, 2007, 07:59:09 PM
Quote from: his holiness nb on October 16, 2007, 05:50:53 PM
While not commenting on the whole mother toddler space thing, one thing that gets on my nerves is the amount of disable parking spaces in some car parks.
Clare Hall for example, how many disabled people do you expect in the shop at any one time???

OMG what a knob!

Edit: Surely you ignore them anyways - seems to be the way!

There's my post and yours save the mods looking - in the context of the thread i.e. people parking in allocated spaces my post holds up.  Enjoy your wee rant  :-*

Just for clarification and to save and other misunderstandings whilst I think it was wrong to question the number of disabled parking spaces in a shopping centre; I did not say you parked in them; the thread at that stage was about allocated spaces my remark was flippant and in no way said you yourself parked in disabled spaces; hope that clears some confusion.