Cork players threaten strike over selectors issue

Started by darbyo, November 13, 2007, 10:41:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Silky

LaurelEye

Quote from: AZOffaly on February 15, 2008, 12:51:26 PM
Here's a question for the club officials and rules experts amongst us. If you request, in advance, a postponement of a match, does it count as a fixture not being fulfilled? Or is it simply a postponement? I'm not talking about not turning up, or not requesting a postponement until the morning of the game.

Depends on the county concerned, I suppose. My experience has been (as a club secretary) that unless it's for a very good reason (a death, etc.) it's a forfeit of the match. The likes of the current fiasco in Cork wouldn't be tolerated at club level. But then I suppose elites have their own rules.
Leader Cup winners: 1945, 1947, 1948, 1949, 1950, 1951, 2013, 2016, 2017, 2019, 2021, 2023.

Hound

Quote from: LaurelEye on February 15, 2008, 01:28:57 PM
Here's a question for the club officials and rules experts amongst us. If you request, in advance, a postponement of a match, does it count as a fixture not being fulfilled? Or is it simply a postponement? I'm not talking about not turning up, or not requesting a postponement until the morning of the game.

Depends on the county concerned, I suppose. My experience has been (as a club secretary) that unless it's for a very good reason (a death, etc.) it's a forfeit of the match. The likes of the current fiasco in Cork wouldn't be tolerated at club level. But then I suppose elites have their own rules.
But it was very clear that the Meath game was not forfeited. It was postponed by the GAA, and the intention has always been that it will be played if possible.

Not sure about the hurling. I think that was a forfeit and the Cats going the two points, but not sure.

They won't decide until Tuesday re whether the Dublin and Waterford games are deferred or forfeits. But, assuming nothing untoward happens between now and then, I'd be pretty confident they'll be regarded as deferred and Cork will be allowed to play on.

LaurelEye

Quote from: Hound on February 15, 2008, 02:04:09 PM
Quote from: LaurelEye on February 15, 2008, 01:28:57 PM

But it was very clear that the Meath game was not forfeited. It was postponed by the GAA, and the intention has always been that it will be played if possible.

Q.E.D.

In a similar situation at club level, Hound, the get-out clause of saying that the match was being postponed because of a row going on within one club wouldn't be tolerated. That's what I was saying based on experience.

If you think I'm aiming a skite at Dónal Óg & Co with the "elites" comment, well, yes I am, but I'm also including Frank Murphy in the skite; the two groups are well-met and deserve each other.

I doubt if this fiasco would have been indulged by Croke Park at county level either, had it been going on in a county less powerful than Cork.
Leader Cup winners: 1945, 1947, 1948, 1949, 1950, 1951, 2013, 2016, 2017, 2019, 2021, 2023.

Uladh

Just an observation, but those who refer to the 60 odd county players in cork who are witholding their services as "donal og & co" "the gpa led payers" or similar, display an extraordinary level of preconceived bias which will obviously colour their view on this subject.

cicfada

The GPA stand behind the strikers "full square",  and Donal Og is one of the leaders of the GPA and is the main spokeman of the   Cork strikers.............therefore it is not really a stretch to name them as Donal Og & Co. As well it is not a stretch to see the GPA watching this case as a possible test case of their ability to change the poilicies and makeup of co boards everywhere. Afterall if they can succeed in Cork well everywhere else should  be a cinch!! Just as a query why did the hurlers take it upon themselves to be the main spokespeople for the footballers anyway?? The first time I saw  or heard any footballer being interviewed  was 2 weeks ago!!

bingobus

Quote from: Uladh on February 15, 2008, 02:40:16 PM

Just an observation, but those who refer to the 60 odd county players in cork who are witholding their services as "donal og & co" "the gpa led payers" or similar, display an extraordinary level of preconceived bias which will obviously colour their view on this subject.

I think if you reveiew the more recent posts that very few are refering to the GPA boys or their involvement, in fact most people have labelled the whole lot, players and CB, as been jointly responsible for the mess. With the GAA getting tarred with the same brush as time goes on.

In fact, we are more concerned about the punishment rather than the guilty parties  ;D  ;D

AZOffaly

Still no word? I wonder if the agreement to abide by the 'binding arbitration' is under threat. I'd say there's some pulling and pushing going on there now.

Aristotle Flynn

It's taking a good bit longerr than expected alright.  Surely neither side can try to back out of binding arbitration? That would be madness. But then again this is Cork.
A tyrant must put on the appearance of uncommon devotion to religion.

Uladh

Quote from: cicfada on February 15, 2008, 02:52:52 PM
The GPA stand behind the strikers "full square",  and Donal Og is one of the leaders of the GPA and is the main spokeman of the   Cork strikers.............therefore it is not really a stretch to name them as Donal Og & Co.

There are a lot of people who stand full square behind them. you just prefer to focus on one set of people because it suits you.

As well it is not a stretch to see the GPA watching this case as a possible test case of their ability to change the poilicies and makeup of co boards everywhere. Afterall if they can succeed in Cork well everywhere else should  be a cinch!!

That is some of the most whimsical scare story thinking i've ever read. is there evidence to back that up anywhere beyond the confins of your skull?

Just as a query why did the hurlers take it upon themselves to be the main spokespeople for the footballers anyway?? The first time I saw  or heard any footballer being interviewed  was 2 weeks ago!!

Have you really not read up on the issue? you are not aware that this issue affects the hurlers as much as it does the footballers? although i'm not informed on the intricicies of how they arrived at their spokemen, i am aware of how spokesmen are appointed for a group. generally, if i were looking for a spokesman to repesent a colective to which i belonged,i would vote for the most articulate and intelligent to present my case and argue through negotiations.

AZOffaly

According to Newstalk, both sides are still waiting for Kieran Mulvey's binding ruling.

Come on Mulvey, for Jaysus' sake.

IolarCoisCuain

Give it 'til five AZ, and then send someone up to Béal na mBláth to look for the body...

Hound

Quote from: AZOffaly on February 15, 2008, 03:33:41 PM
According to Newstalk, both sides are still waiting for Kieran Mulvey's binding ruling.

Come on Mulvey, for Jaysus' sake.
I suppose there's no hurry now that the games have been called off anyway.

Hardy

Everyone seems to be expecting that the resolution will involve Teddy taking the high jump. I'm usually wrong, but I can't see that. How can Mulvey propose that the rules be broken and a properly appointed officer be sacked? From what we know, Teddy isn't for going voluntarily, and it doesn't seem he was part of the talks, so I can't see how he would have been persuaded to go.

Of course it's not beyond Frank and co. to come up with a loophole to determine that Teddy was never properly appointed in the first place - maybe annul it for lack of consummation, or something  :). But I couldn't see Mulvey being party to that sort of thing.

I'd imagine the players will have to take Teddy for the season. The arbitration enables the climbdown to be presented in a more face-saving way - "bound by the arbitration", "but we didn't back down", "good of Cork GAA", etc.

AZOffaly

Very possibly Hardy, very possibly. However, we'll have to wait and see. There'll be some spin no matter what happens.