Cork players threaten strike over selectors issue

Started by darbyo, November 13, 2007, 10:41:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cicfada

What input did Holland have in to the selection of selectors as he requested??

Real Talk

There is one thing for SURE if any Ulster team had refused to play a scheduled NFL game they would have been thrown OUT!!!!!   Frank Murphy would have implemented the Official Guide and that would have been the end of it.

orangeman

It looks as if Cork will not be playing in the NFL now which is a real shame.

deiseach

Sod the NFL, it'll rumble on perfectly fine without a county that have won it a mere five times. But what about the NHL? Dublin's only home match in the hurling will be against Antrim.

Tatler Jack

QuoteHow in the name of ******* did they think that the players would buy into the selectors remaining on?

I assume they thought that the reasonable proposal to solve  the problem on a long term basis would convince the players and perhaps they thought that the players might have been late converts to democracy. Unfortunately the players need a head or heads to justify their stance. So much for their guff about doing all thiis for the future of Cork hurling and football.

QuoteThere is one thing for SURE if any Ulster team had refused to play a scheduled NFL game they would have been thrown OUT!!!!!   Frank Murphy would have implemented the Official Guide and that would have been the end of it.

Spot on and Cork should have been thrown out when the failed to fulfill the Meath fixture.

QuoteWhat input did Holland have in to the selection of selectors as he requested

He was given the power to approve the selectors which he did. You should remember this is not about selectors or who appoints them

QuoteIt looks as if Cork will not be playing in the NFL now which is a real shame

No shame at all. If it was W'Meath or Cavan not to metion Ros there would not be any of this fuss. They would have been turfed out, there would be no sympathy for the players and in our case we would have plenty on here advising them to stick to pool!! This row in Cork has got attention way beyond what it deserves and has probably helped to swell already swollen egos on all sides

cicfada

Actuallly the whole row according to the players is about who  selects selectors!! The co board wanted to bring in a system where they would pick the selectors and the players want a system where the manager picks his selectors. There is more to it behind the scenes but that is the official gripe and  initial reason for the dispute!!

Rossfan

Quote from: Tatler Jack on February 07, 2008, 08:51:24 PM
If it was W'Meath or Cavan not to metion Ros there would not be any of this fuss. They would have been turfed out,

We might be turfed out yet for not being up to the standard required the way things are going.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

stephenite

Quote from: Rossfan on February 07, 2008, 09:20:37 PM
Quote from: Tatler Jack on February 07, 2008, 08:51:24 PM
If it was W'Meath or Cavan not to metion Ros there would not be any of this fuss. They would have been turfed out,

We might be turfed out yet for not being up to the standard required the way things are going.

Would have happened a long time ago if this was their basis for turfing teams out

Tatler Jack

QuoteWould have happened a long time ago if this was their basis for turfing teams out

Have you no drop of mercy in your veins Stephenite for us lesser mortals :P

Real Talk

Something serious must have happened during Billy Morgans reign whene the CCB decided that they would select the Manager and as a seperate act decide who his selectors would be.   I am not aware of any other County Board in this 'day and age' that use this proces.  I would have a wide knowedge of selection procedures and the appointment of Managers and I do not know of any Manager who would even be expected to consider this procedure.

stephenite

Jesus, Mulvey fair went to town on Sean Og for the interview with Humphries.

Lecale2

Any statement from the players after their meeting last night?

AZOffaly

Quote from: Real Talk on February 07, 2008, 11:44:52 PM
Something serious must have happened during Billy Morgans reign whene the CCB decided that they would select the Manager and as a seperate act decide who his selectors would be.   I am not aware of any other County Board in this 'day and age' that use this proces.  I would have a wide knowedge of selection procedures and the appointment of Managers and I do not know of any Manager who would even be expected to consider this procedure.

I think the Waterford footballers are the only other team subject to this. I could be wrong I suppose, but certainly most other succesful teams would allow the manager control over whom he works with.

The real issue here though is the breakdown between the CB and the players, and what the reasons for that are. Is it meglomania on the CB part, or is it a 'too big for their boots' mentality on the players' part. Either way, that should be the real story. I'd love to know what those issues were, which are mentioned in

Quote1. Establish a consultative committee representative of the Players and The Board (six representatives from each) to meet quarterly to discuss and agree on matters received from either side relative to the players' welfare and interests and issues that arose in 2007. The first meeting shall take place within one month of this agreement.

orangeman

Cork players furious at 'spin'
Friday, 8 February 2008 09:24
Cork footballers and hurlers have stated that they are furious with the way that recent discussions have been treated by the county board and with the board's 'spin, misinformation and leaks'.

They have reiterated that they desperately want to play for the county but won't do so until both Teddy Holland and the selectors are out of office.

It seems certain that Sunday's hurling league opener between Cork and Kilkenny will be postponed and unless there is a resolution of the dispute next week Cork will then be excluded from both leagues and relegated for next season.

In a statement released to the Irish Examiner last night, the Cork players strongly rejected the claim that they would play for Holland, insisting: 'We are furious at the spin and misinformation put out by the board, which said that we would accept Teddy Holland as football manager - which is totally and utterly untrue.

'There have been a number of attempts to split the players throughout this process, which have failed. Our position is and always has been: we are totally united in our opposition to Teddy Holland and his selectors and to the system recently adopted.'

The situation is actually get worse and the sides are now more entrenched than ever.

Zulu

QuoteI think the Waterford footballers are the only other team subject to this. I could be wrong I suppose, but certainly most other succesful teams would allow the manager control over whom he works with.

No your right AZ the Waterford footballers are the only team to use the 'new Cork system'.

QuoteThe real issue here though is the breakdown between the CB and the players, and what the reasons for that are. Is it meglomania on the CB part, or is it a 'too big for their boots' mentality on the players' part. Either way, that should be the real story. 

To a degree your right AZ but I think you underestimate the Holland issue, the players aren't only going after Holland because it would be some kind of victory but because they can't actually play for him. He broke the first rule of management (loosing the dressingroom) by accepting the job, from that moment on he was a manager without a team. I also feel your doing a dis-service to the players by suggesting they should be going after the CB and FM rather than TH and the selectors.
                                First off the CB started this fight by initiating an unwanted change in selectorial proceedures, so the players had to tackle this issue first. Since this is still currently unresolved they must continue to focus on this. Taking on the CB and FM is a much bigger battle and should be left for another time. Many posters have expressed skeptisim at the spinelessness of delegates and the power of FM, but believe it or not that is a fairly accurate description of the situation. Though in fairness to both Frank and the delegates, he is one of the most able administrators in the GAA so if I were a club delegate I'd like him to remain as county secretary but to keep out of IC squad issues.