Should I pay the €80 fixed penalty

Yes
51 (62.2%)
No
31 (37.8%)

Total Members Voted: 82

Gnevin

Quote from: Doogie Browser on November 14, 2007, 05:46:51 PM
Regarding the original topic of this thread, I was caught speeding in the South TWICE within a very short period last year and I reside in the Six counties, I honestly am not a boy racer.  Anyway I learned my lesson and adhere very closely to the limits now.  I did not pay the fines however and my reasoning was as follows, on both occasions the Gardai had my licence to take my details etc.  Both summons' arrived at my house, but on the two of them different Garda on two different days managed to mis-spell my surname and also my address despite the fact they were copying direct from my licence.  So although the summons' arrived I never signed for them and will plead (If ever brought to book) that nothing ever arrived at my home.  If they pursue it I would ask 'what address and to whom did you send them?'  Maybe I am taking a chance, but I thought fcuk it if they can't get basic details correct I ain't paying a cent to them.
What a crock of shit
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

THE MIGHTY QUINN

Actually Dougie you've now thrown a new slant on this because the Garda spelt my address incorrectly as well. Is this something they do deliberately to ensure that we 6 county guys get off with speeding fines as they know as we're better drivers or is that they're just plain stupid?

Gnevin

Quote from: THE MIGHTY QUINN on November 14, 2007, 06:04:50 PM
Actually Dougie you've now thrown a new slant on this because the Garda spelt my address incorrectly as well. Is this something they do deliberately to ensure that we 6 county guys get off with speeding fines as they know as we're better drivers or is that they're just plain stupid?
May their just not use to reading British driver's licences
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

THE MIGHTY QUINN

Nah, from reading the postings of you and Tankie I think its the latter

Puckoon

Quote from: Gnevin on November 14, 2007, 05:59:25 PM
Regarding the original topic of this thread, I was caught speeding in the South TWICE within a very short period last year and I reside in the Six counties, I honestly am not a boy racer.  Anyway I learned my lesson and adhere very closely to the limits now.  I did not pay the fines however and my reasoning was as follows, on both occasions the Gardai had my licence to take my details etc.  Both summons' arrived at my house, but on the two of them different Garda on two different days managed to mis-spell my surname and also my address despite the fact they were copying direct from my licence.  So although the summons' arrived I never signed for them and will plead (If ever brought to book) that nothing ever arrived at my home.  If they pursue it I would ask 'what address and to whom did you send them?'  Maybe I am taking a chance, but I thought fcuk it if they can't get basic details correct I ain't paying a cent to them.
What a crock of shit

Whats the crock of shit? Are you telling me that if there was any loophole against paying a fine, you wouldnt consider using it? We are a little laxadasical about such things in Ireland.  Mrs Puckoon got off on a speeding ticket because the cop didnt turn up to the court case. Whats the exception to someone else trying to get away with paying a fine - no matter what side of the border they are from?
Personally Id pay the fine - but im always thinking worse case scenarios and dont have enough backbone to try and get away with something like that.

I feel like tankie is (wrongly) using the border as a stick to beat "nordies" with. Does paying a fine make you any more Irish than the rest anyone else? Its a tiresome arguement to be honest, and one that an irishman with a sense of unity wouldnt be using.

Quote from: Gnevin on November 14, 2007, 06:07:07 PM

It must be easier to read than some of your posts Gnevin! Again a cheap shot argument.

Gnevin

Quote from: THE MIGHTY QUINN on November 14, 2007, 06:10:32 PM
Nah, from reading the postings of you and Tankie I think its the latter
What has what me and Tankie post got to do with the Garda.
Quinn the vote is in favour , are you going to pay?

Gnevin

Quote from: Puckoon on November 14, 2007, 06:11:10 PM
Quote from: Gnevin on November 14, 2007, 05:59:25 PM
What a crock of shit

Whats the crock of shit? Are you telling me that if there was any loophole against paying a fine, you wouldnt consider using it? We are a little laxadasical about such things in Ireland.  Mrs Puckoon got off on a speeding ticket because the cop didnt turn up to the court case. Whats the exception to someone else trying to get away with paying a fine - no matter what side of the border they are from?
Personally Id pay the fine - but im always thinking worse case scenarios and dont have enough backbone to try and get away with something like that.

I feel like tankie is (wrongly) using the border as a stick to beat "nordies" with. Does paying a fine make you any more Irish than the rest anyone else? Its a tiresome arguement to be honest, and one that an irishman with a sense of unity wouldnt be using.

Quote from: Gnevin on November 14, 2007, 06:07:07 PM

It must be easier to read than some of your posts Gnevin! Again a cheap shot argument.
It was a joke relax  ;D

Puckoon

THE MIGHTY QUINN

Gnevin, I'd love to pay. I'm not one of these fine dodgers as some here think I am. The poll tally definately indicates that paying would be the popular thing to do. However I'm not one of those Fianna Fail type people who go for the popular decision, I'm prepared to look at all the evidence and take hard unpopular decisions if they're in the interests of the overall good. In this case, and after reading Dougie's post, I am really of a mind that the nice Garda deliberately spelt my name incorrectly so as any summons wouldn't be enforceable,  so any payment of the fine would be against his wishes. What do you think?

Gnevin

Quote from: THE MIGHTY QUINN on November 14, 2007, 06:18:30 PM
Tankie, I'd love to pay. I'm not one of these fine dodgers as some here think I am. The poll tally definately indicates that paying would be the popular thing to do. However I'm not one of thise Fianna Fail type people who go for the popular decision, I'm prepared to look at all the evidence and take hard unpopular decisions if they're in the interests of the overall good. In this case, and after reading Dougie's post I akm really of a mind that the nice Garda, perhaps deliberately, spelt my name incorrectly so as any summons wouldn't be enforceable,  so any payment of the fine would be against his wishes. What do you think?
So we are  back to what sparked this entire discussion (and two threads) you looking for a way to dodge this .

Puckoon

how did he spell it?  Garda S. Claus?

oh right, your name, not the garda's name

THE MIGHTY QUINN

The issue is not about the fine but rather what the Garda intended to be the outcome. Justice must be seen to be done

Gnevin

Quote from: THE MIGHTY QUINN on November 14, 2007, 06:22:50 PM
The issue is not about the fine but rather what the Garda intended to be the outcome. Justice must be seen to be done
What ever helps you sleep at night . You where looking for a get out from the start and now had found one enjoy it.

THE MIGHTY QUINN

Actually I got a great night's sleep the night I heard there was going to be a bus strike in Dublin the next day

parttimeexile

Quote from: Bacon on November 13, 2007, 07:33:18 AM
Quote from: THE MIGHTY QUINN on November 12, 2007, 11:55:59 PM

Fact is that had I given Donegal a miss and gone to the Wellington Bar instead none of this would have happened

If you had gone to the Wellington Bar you might have been done for drunken drinking!

Is this hard to do?  :D