Paul Galvin- Kerry Captain

Started by bcarrier, November 11, 2007, 06:01:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ludermor

if galvin does as well as gerathy did he will be happy. FFS do you want your captain to be a pillar of society or a winner, i know what id prefer

Frank Casey

Galvin would go through a brick wall (and most of the opposition) for Kerry. This determination will be an example to others. I think the captaincy could actually be the making of him. Whether people believe it or not he is a more controlled and mature player than he was a few years ago.
KERRY 3:7

orangeman

Where is the name from IolarCoisCuain - I understand the CoisCuian bit but Iolar - is that the mountain Paidi talks about ?

orangeman

Frank - I was just thinking today what might have been had Maurice Fitz been managed by someone other than Paidi ( who he appeared to fall out with ) - I would be a big fan of Paidi's but what do you think ? Maybe I'm completely wrong in this ?

Frank Casey

Paidi will always say that the ends justified the means. The 2000 All Ireland was won after semi and final replays with Maurice playing the impact sub. I honestly believe that Maurice was consigned to the bench too early. At the same time there was a shiver went down the back of your neck when you saw him coming on and you could see the team picking their heads up.

Would another manager have made a difference? To Maurice probably, to Kerry who knows. Hindsight is not very clear on this one.

One difference might have been that Tomas O'Se who was a fair pup in his younger days might not have received the time to grow up and into a player of the year. Uncle Paidi gave him that time.

A five time all ireland winner with Kerry one time reluctantly opined that he might get more respect than a man with only four. If Maurice Fitzgerald had never one even one, he'd still be a football hero to most. Mind you he'd had a quiet game in 97 until he broke Billy O'Shea's leg and he gave the rest of the match determined to make up for it.

orangeman

I tell you what - he made up for breaking his leg by giving a virtuoso display that - poor Pat Holmes etc etc -

Am I right in saying that Maurice and Paidi never really saw eye to eye ? Did Maurice's talent and attitude go against the grain with Paidi ?

Frank Casey

Quote from: orangeman on November 12, 2007, 10:45:43 PM
I tell you what - he made up for breaking his leg by giving a virtuoso display that - poor Pat Holmes etc etc -

Am I right in saying that Maurice and Paidi never really saw eye to eye ? Did Maurice's talent and attitude go against the grain with Paidi ?

I think there was something. Maurice was one of the most deceptive players. His manner seemed unhurried almost lazy but when you're that comfortable on the ball everything looks easy.

orangeman

John Mc Entee Armagh looked like he was in slow motion but was bursting past players at the same time -  not that I'm trying to compare the two in any way.

Frank Casey

Quote from: orangeman on November 12, 2007, 10:59:26 PM
John Mc Entee Armagh looked like he was in slow motion but was bursting past players at the same time -  not that I'm trying to compare the two in any way.

Captain Kirk would say that it was a kink in the space-time continuim. ;)

orangeman

Something like that ok - pity Maurice is 38 - here's a question for you Frank - did you ever see Maurice seething with anger ?

Frank Casey

Quote from: orangeman on November 12, 2007, 11:04:19 PM
Something like that ok - pity Maurice is 38 - here's a question for you Frank - did you ever see Maurice seething with anger ?

Once but twas his wife's fault ;D

orangeman

IolarCoisCuain

Quote from: orangeman on November 12, 2007, 10:13:20 PM
Where is the name from IolarCoisCuain - I understand the CoisCuian bit but Iolar - is that the mountain Paidi talks about ?

Iolar=eagle. Hence the avatar. :)

It's from a song called Cill Chais, the lament for Kilcash which I've always liked:

"Ní chluinim fuaim lacha nó gé ann
Ná iolair ag éamh cois cuain..."

The first line of it, "Cad a dhéanfaimid feasta gan adhmad," used to be one of the lines of Irish literature quoted on the Aer Lingus seat covers. I think Aer Lingus have done away with that since though. A pity.

Wouldn't know any Páidís where I come from. :)

orangeman

Thanks for that - very interesting - I thought you were from Kerry there for a minute.