Paintballing injury to Donegal star

Started by aodhruadh, November 11, 2007, 10:33:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

aodhruadh

Donegal star Paddy McConigley has received the unfortunate news that he will not regain vision in his eye he damaged in a paintballing accident.

The wing-back injured his eye in a freak paintballing accident while on a bonding trip with the Donegal seniors in July. The wing-back can play some part still with his club but admitted the bigger worry is his occupation.

"I have been out of work. I don't know what's happening. I have to make a decision. I know it will be a lot more risky working on building sites.

"Doctors told me they can do no more for me," explained a devastated McConigley.

"I had the operation on Tuesday, was back for a check up and he told me there was nothing more he could do. He said go back training, get a bit of confidence back, no harm in doing that."

The Fanad Gaels clubman played 20 minutes in last weekends Ulster intermediate quarter-final and is hoping he can play some part in today's replay.

"It depends on how the game pans out and if they want I will come on for 15 or 20 minutes. I couldn't give much more than that," concluded McConigley.

inisceithleann

I've never heard of this before now. A terrible accident and I wish McConigley all the best for the future. Has he been looked after financially?
Life is a ticket to the greatest show on earth

orangeman

The team went for a bonding session and apparently Mc Conigley took his mask off and got hit directly in the eye - an awful shame - god luck to the young man and hopefully he will regain a degree of vision to allow him to function on a day to day basis.

J70

Terrible news for McConigley, especially as it was his first season back on the senior team after a lengthy spell with London. Hopefully it won't affect his livelihood too much, and I hope the Donegal county board make sure he helped as much as possible.

Fear ón Srath Bán

Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

Tyrones own

Dreadful news for the lad alright.
Where all think alike, no one thinks very much.
  - Walter Lippmann

youngfella

I worked in a paintball/outdoor center during the summer and seen something similar to this. Jesus the poor fella i hope he can get himself a decent job.
Pull hard and early

Puckoon

Heard about this when it happened, very sad that his treatment seems to have run its full course without a full recovery.

rolloutking

I did a bit of work in a paintball centre and you were never allowed to take off your mask in the action zones. The place were he got injured could be liable

Jinxy

An awful injury and completely unnecessary. It's one thing to get hurt on the field of play or to have an accident at work but something like this must be very hard to take. How bad would you feel if you were the lad who shot him?
If you were any use you'd be playing.

ziggysego

Terrible news altogether. I hope he makes a full recovery.
Testing Accessibility

Tyrones own

Quote from: rolloutking on November 11, 2007, 04:48:51 PM
I did a bit of work in a paintball centre and you were never allowed to take off your mask in the action zones. The place were he got injured could be liable

I would doubt that, they do make you read the rules and sign that you understand them, then a waiver.
You are right about taking the mask off in the action zone but I'd wager a bet he took it off himself and so
knowingly broke the rules.
Where all think alike, no one thinks very much.
  - Walter Lippmann

Over the Bar

QuoteI did a bit of work in a paintball centre and you were never allowed to take off your mask in the action zones.

I blame the equipment.  You get so hot the mask steams up and you have to take it off to breathe and let it de-mist.

Kentucky Blue

Heard about this as well from a guy who was in London with Paddy.
Think he played over there.

Hope he can hold down a job and this wont affect him too much.

whiskeysteve

me da lost an eye when he was 17, but has remained extremely active. Tough thing to deal with, hopefully he'll get through it. It's the sorta thing you can get used to in later life
Somewhere, somehow, someone's going to pay: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPhISgw3I2w