By by Billy!

Started by ExiledGael, November 08, 2007, 07:37:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

darbyo

QuoteI don't believe that Billy would have put Masters in after they had decided otherwise - no way

Well I'm only passing on what I was told, I'll actually try and find out if it is definitely true but to be honest it wouldn't surprise me.

orangeman

In my humble opinion, I think the players are inherently weak - how can they beat Kerry in July but shite themselves habitually in August and September ?

darbyo

It's a strange one alright but they do have the quality, Lynch, Spillane and Canty would arguably make any backline in the country (possibly Shields too). Nicholas Murphy competes better than most against Dara O'Se and O'Connor, McMahon, Goulding and Gould are real quality footballers. Add in Quirke, O'Leary, O'Neill and Masters and the U21's and it makes for a pretty formidable squad. Billy just couldn't find the best 15 or the right playing style IMO. But sure that's the advantage of talking about it rather than being the one who has to do it, your opinion will never be put to the test, who'd be an IC manager eh?
              You are right though, the players have to take some responsibility for how they performed in the AI.

orangeman

But the players have consistently failed in Croke Park against Kerry ? Why ?
They beat Meath out of the same venue a few weeks before they played Kerry  - ??

darbyo

I suppose you could ask the same of Mayo, I really thought whatever the result, Cork and Kerry would be close but if you were at the match you could see that Cork had no game plan. Well not one they could implement anyway. I was never as frustrated at a match as I was at that AI and I'm not a Cork man. Of course we should remember that for all Meath's heroics this year they are not a top 8 side and Cork only overcame Louth by two. So take out their performances against Kerry in Munster and their track record isn't all that hot.

orangeman

But the difference between Mayo and Cork is that the whole world now know that Mayo are a bunch of chokers - they even admit to it themselves - are Cork now in the same boat ??

darbyo

QuoteBut the difference between Mayo and Cork is that the whole world now know that Mayo are a bunch of chokers - they even admit to it themselves - are Cork now in the same boat ??
:)

You'd have to think so, although I was disgusted with this years final I was shattered at the previous years one (and I'm not a Mayo man either), it's just aswell my own county don't bother getting to AI. Though I think Cork will win one in the next 3 years.

orangeman

I can't see Cork winning it in the next while - I'd love to see them do it - but they are lacking something fundamental - Sure Louth nearly had them away !

darbyo

I'm the opposite I can see them do it but I'd hate to see it happen. Those Cork lads are unbearable when they win,and worst of all it's in a condescending way.

orangeman

Where you from Darbyo ? Offaly ?

dodo

Quote from: orangeman on November 10, 2007, 10:10:53 PM
But the difference between Mayo and Cork is that the whole world now know that Mayo are a bunch of chokers - they even admit to it themselves - are Cork now in the same boat ??

Hey there, wait up ! Mayo are physically and vertically challenged for the last few years. We have a few decent forwards but need them to be playing very well to get by, like Alan Dillon and Conor Mortimer were in games leading up to the AIF 2006. Our backs are just plainly too small. Cork on the other hand have all their players around 6'0" and taller and are decent players to boot. As mentioned Canty, Spillane and Lynch are top quality backs with Nicholas Murphy, Masters, O'Connor etc make up a good basis for a team. If you'd of swapped 'keepers for the AIF this year you could make an arguement for a lot closer game, 3 goals could've been stopped and the langers would've been right in it still !

darbyo

QuoteWhere you from Darbyo ? Offaly ?

Why did you think Offaly, because of my user name or because I come across as unreasonably defensive and bitter? :) I'm not from there by the way, further south.

orangeman

Waterford then ? Just going by your user name - Offaly ? Darby ?

darbyo

QuoteI don't believe that Billy would have put Masters in after they had decided otherwise - no way

Well I'm only passing on what I was told, I'll actually try and find out if it is definitely true but to be honest it wouldn't surprise me.

There's an article in today's Tribune about Billy,that says the selectors picked Goulding on the A team in the week prior to the final but that Billy insisted Masters go on the A team against the strong oppostion of the selectors. So it looks like there is truth to it.

orangeman

Can you post the article in the Tribune Darbyo ? Looks like you were nearly right about the team selection ! But Billy was the bainisteoir after all !  And not the maor uisce !