Donal O Neill Quits GPA

Started by Seany, November 06, 2007, 11:01:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Seany

An interesting story this.  I would just love to know the background to this one.  I get the feeling he realised he had created a monster, came under pressure from his family who are seen as the royal family of Down football and are widely respected as great GAA people, found it difficult to cope with the increasingly erratic behaviour of some of the GPA people and realised that commercially as well as in every other way, this strike thing is going to tumble the GPA like a house of cards.

Music to my ears.

ziggysego

I heard he has other business interests that he wants to focus on.

However that is, in some cases, a by-word for "I'm gettin' out of the mess".
Testing Accessibility

gerry

his strike thing is going to tumble the GPA like a house of cards.
watching primetime tonight, gaa players turning into a joke, you play for the jersey not the pocket
God bless the hills of Dooish, be they heather-clad or lea,

glenullinabu

like a rat deserting a sinking ship?
the vote to strike will lead to the gpa falling apart

paddypastit

Through the day job I have regular contact with one of the GPA sponsor companies.  Only last week a guy there remarked at his not having seen DO'N 'for a few months'.  I know though that he was central to the Halifax deal the GPA did. In terms of his 'business interests' he has his hand in a few areas.  He was at one point doing work for Kendar, the company owned by that solicitor Lynn who's in trouble these days.  I recall also being told that he was involved in a company trying to launch a mens clothing range. Isn't he also training Burren with cousin James?
come disagree with me on http://gushtystuppencehapenny.wordpress.com/ and spread the word

Gnevin

Quote from: Seany on November 06, 2007, 11:01:04 PM
An interesting story this.  I would just love to know the background to this one.  I get the feeling he realised he had created a monster, came under pressure from his family who are seen as the royal family of Down football and are widely respected as great GAA people, found it difficult to cope with the increasingly erratic behaviour of some of the GPA people and realised that commercially as well as in every other way, this strike thing is going to tumble the GPA like a house of cards.

Music to my ears.
Talk about putting words in the man's mouth. Maybe he and Dessie had a fling which ended bad when Donal Og found out and was very upset and threaten to beat O Neill within an inch of his live with a hurl and stick a Gaelic Gear Sliotar where the sun don't shine .
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

AZOffaly

QuoteGaelic Gear Sliotar where the sun don't shine .

West Clare?

orangeman

It looks like Donal doesn't want to be part of sometihng he doesn't agree with. I.e - the strike.

Gnevin

Quote from: orangeman on November 08, 2007, 10:56:57 AM
It looks like Donal doesn't want to be part of sometihng he doesn't agree with. I.e - the strike.
And your basicing this on what? The tea leafs in the bottom of your cup ? The lines on the back of your hand?
??? ::)
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

AZOffaly

Whether it's true or not (disenchantment with the strike), it's poor timing that a leading light in their union would resign at such a massive juncture in their existence. If this strike goes ahead, it's going to be all hands on deck for the GPA if the GAA fight it. The timing, at the very least, is a blow to the GPA as it could quite obviously be construed as being 'against' the leadership decisions.

I've no idea what O'Neill's motivations are for leaving the GPA, but it's hardly surprising that people would put 2 and 2 together, and it hardly surprises him or Dessie Farrell and co that such a thing would happen. Which is why the timing is at least 'odd', given the circumstances.

Seany

I have since heard from very good authority that when the Halifax deal was done, good ol DOnal asked for his fee to be doubled.  He was told to get stuffed, so he did.

As I expected.  When you put a whole lot of greedy people into a cage, they begin to eat each other.

Money, Money Money.  That's what they're all about.

5 Sams

Quote from: paddypastit on November 07, 2007, 05:52:07 PM
Isn't he also training Burren with cousin James?

I dunno about training them but he was certainly on the sideline in a pair of shorts the night wee James collapsed during the Longstone game.

Can anyone shed any light on what credentials he might have to entitle him to become involved with coaching/managing/training a 1st Division team.

Did he play county/club football to any standard?
Has he completed x amount of caoching courses?
Has he a track record in underage or club management?

or maybe he's just wee James' cousin ;)
The Aristocrat Years

heganboy

In fairness to Donal his athletic record was pretty good- I think he competed internationally at high jump, and was a very good footballer. I'm also pretty sure that he worked for one of the large international sports marketing companies for a long time.
Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity

Deal_Me_In

Didn't he also start out helping wee James when he started managing at Queens when is brother Dan was a fresher?

Donnycarney

Quote from: ziggysego on November 06, 2007, 11:09:10 PM
I heard he has other business interests that he wants to focus on.

However that is, in some cases, a by-word for "I'm gettin' out of the mess".

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/northern_ireland/2579249.stm

Surely this can't be true?