Mother dies after refusing blood

Started by Square Ball, November 06, 2007, 07:47:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Square Ball

This is another moral dilemma, if this was your nearest and dearest would you flout your religious beliefs and sign a form to save their life?

A young Jehovah's Witness has died after giving birth to twins, amid claims that she had refused a blood transfusion because of her faith.
Emma Gough, 22, of Telford, Shropshire, gave birth on 25 October. The Royal Shrewsbury Hospital said an internal review into the case would take place.

The twins, a boy and a girl, are healthy and are being cared for by their father, Anthony Gough, 24.

A friend said the family was going through "immense... turmoil and grief".

"We follow the Bible and abstain from blood and I've got no reason to believe that Emma didn't share those views," the friend Terry Lovejoy added.

Because events such as this are so rare, it is normal practice to undertake a full internal review

Tom Taylor, CEO of Shrewsbury and Telford Hospital NHS Trust

The right to die for Jehovah 

Christine Harris, a friend of Ms Gough's mother-in-law Sham Gough, said: "The family have told me that a blood transfusion wouldn't have saved Emma."

Tom Taylor, chief executive of the Shrewsbury and Telford Hospital NHS Trust, said: "We have offered our deepest condolences to the family, and our thoughts are with them at this difficult time.

"Because events such as this are so rare, it is normal practice to undertake a full internal review and also to inform the coroner so an inquest can take place."

An inquest has been opened and adjourned for a date to be fixed.

Emma Gough's funeral took place at the Telford crematorium at 1530 GMT.

Jehovah's Witnesses refuse blood transfusions because they believe that God has forbidden it in the Bible. They believe that accepting a blood transfusion is a sin.

Head of Science and Ethics at the British Medical Association, Dr Vivienne Nathanson, said: "If somebody believes that having blood will excommunicate them from their religious beliefs, then they will often say no and accept the risk of death."

Hospitals are not equipped to treat stupid

pintsofguinness

Should all be sectioned under the mental health act.
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

Bensars

Dont celebrate their birthdays either. ???

i didnt know this until a smart arsed collegue prompted me to wish a Jehovah birthday wishes.

Gabriel_Hurl

Puckoon

This very scenario is one that is regularly acted out in medical schools across the USA - Ive no idea what the correct protocol for a Dr to follow is.

Tragic decision making.

Square Ball

If it was me it would be a no brainer, sign the form and to hell what anyone else said, by the action taken the man has lost his wife and the children a mother, try explaining that one when they are older.
Hospitals are not equipped to treat stupid

ExiledGael

The bible references they live by are of no reference to this situation in my view, they are mild references seeming to refer to canabalism and sacrificial ceremonies if anything. Written, fair enough with good intentions, in a world so far removed from todays.
The only sin in the whole event is her chosing her children will not have a mother.

pintsofguinness

Quote from: Gabriel_Hurl on November 06, 2007, 08:41:52 PM
Quote from: pintsofguinness on November 06, 2007, 08:29:42 PM
Should all be sectioned under the mental health act.

Why?
Because they're insane, but apart from that it would mean doctors could intervene and two babies wouldnt lose their mother to something so daft.
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

Windmill abu

QuoteBecause they're insane, but apart from that it would mean doctors could intervene and two babies wouldnt lose their mother to something so daft.

Would these babies be better off with an "insane" mother?

These are religous beliefs and should be respected as much as "keeping priests celibate" or  insisting on "circumcision for all males".

All religions have their beliefs which do not make sense to people outside. But religous intolerance is a far worse path to follow.

Would we be as quick to override the wishes of a Moslem family?
Never underestimate the power of complaining

J70

Quote from: Windmill abu on November 07, 2007, 01:53:15 AM
QuoteBecause they're insane, but apart from that it would mean doctors could intervene and two babies wouldnt lose their mother to something so daft.

Would these babies be better off with an "insane" mother?

These are religous beliefs and should be respected as much as "keeping priests celibate" or  insisting on "circumcision for all males".

All religions have their beliefs which do not make sense to people outside. But religous intolerance is a far worse path to follow.

Would we be as quick to override the wishes of a Moslem family?

These beliefs are ridiculous and if pointing that fact out makes me intolerant of other people's religious beliefs I couldn't give a crap! Just because a belief is religious in nature does not mean that it should be immune from criticism, ridicule or condemnation.

stephenite

Just like the belief that human life begins at conception is ridiculous and should not be immune from crictisim or condemnation.

Gabriel_Hurl

Quote from: J70 on November 07, 2007, 02:52:44 AM
These beliefs are ridiculous

As ridiculous as the story of a man dying on a Friday and then being raised from the grave 3 days later?

J70

Quote from: stephenite on November 07, 2007, 02:57:45 AM
Just like the belief that human life begins at conception is ridiculous and should not be immune from crictisim or condemnation.

At least that belief has some basis in reality.

J70

Quote from: Gabriel_Hurl on November 07, 2007, 03:00:16 AM
Quote from: J70 on November 07, 2007, 02:52:44 AM
These beliefs are ridiculous

As ridiculous as the story of a man dying on a Friday and then being raised from the grave 3 days later?

Every bit. ;)

stephenite

Quote from: J70 on November 07, 2007, 03:17:23 AM
Quote from: stephenite on November 07, 2007, 02:57:45 AM

At least that belief has some basis in reality.

That's not my belief. How does your belief have some basis in reality? I'm pretty sure Science would back me in that at conception, it's not a life. Your belief can only stem from heresay not fact - but I respect your belief.

Some people believe things according to their faith or some sort of moral compass. I find it baffling that intelligent people can strenuously object to some of their beliefs been flouted (abortion) by modern society but are more than willing to condemn and ridicule others who follow their own choosen faith/moral compass.