The Education System...

Started by Norf Tyrone, November 06, 2007, 03:35:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Norf Tyrone

Owen Roe O'Neills GAC, Leckpatrick, Tyrone

mannix

So is -33 higher than -32?
I won, I won.

Reminds me of when my father thought he won 5 grand on a scratch card.Came home from the pub after 1 pint to tell us all.Down in the dumps for a few days when the truth was revealed.

ziggysego

They'd give the Americans a run for their money ;)
Testing Accessibility

screenexile

It's no laughing matter lads really. I did my teaching practice in Manchester last year and found the standard of teaching and learning going on to be absolutely shocking, both teachers unwillingness or inability to teach properly and students unwillingness to learn.

Having seen the standard of education in Manchester I can honestly say that the standard of education in Northern Ireland is amazingly high (at all levels, Grammar to Comprehensive) compared with our English counterparts. We can count ourselves very lucky to have our system in such good shape... only problem is that none of our teachers can get a job! ???

pintsofguinness

QuoteThe 23-year-old, who said she had left school without a maths GCSE, said: "On one of my cards it said I had to find temperatures lower than -8. The numbers I uncovered were -6 and -7 so I thought I had won, and so did the woman in the shop. But when she scanned the card the machine said I hadn't.

"I phoned Camelot and they fobbed me off with some story that -6 is higher - not lower - than -8 but I'm not having it.

"I think Camelot are giving people the wrong impression - the card doesn't say to look for a colder or warmer temperature, it says to look for a higher or lower number. Six is a lower number than 8. Imagine how many people have been misled."

f**king hell.

Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

J70

Quote from: pintsofguinness on November 06, 2007, 05:53:51 PM
QuoteThe 23-year-old, who said she had left school without a maths GCSE, said: "On one of my cards it said I had to find temperatures lower than -8. The numbers I uncovered were -6 and -7 so I thought I had won, and so did the woman in the shop. But when she scanned the card the machine said I hadn't.

"I phoned Camelot and they fobbed me off with some story that -6 is higher - not lower - than -8 but I'm not having it.

"I think Camelot are giving people the wrong impression - the card doesn't say to look for a colder or warmer temperature, it says to look for a higher or lower number. Six is a lower number than 8. Imagine how many people have been misled."

f**king hell.

That is unbelievable! No one could be that stupid! :o

And she's "not having it!"

Go back to school you ignorant bitch! ;D

Puckoon

Quote from: pintsofguinness on November 06, 2007, 05:53:51 PM

f**king hell.

Even though its sad, thats one of the funniest lines ive read in a long time! :D

Square Ball

I wonder if anyone has set her down and explained this to her, and it suddenly dawns on her what a complete and utter idiot she has made of herself.
Hospitals are not equipped to treat stupid

Oraisteach

Tram, very funny, but actually there are only 10 types of people, those who understand binary and those who don't.

ziggysego

What about those that count in hexadecimal. Those crazy b*stards use letters.
Testing Accessibility

Pangurban

Can anyone on this forum speak trigonometry

Square Ball

god bless pythe
agorus

what is it, Pythagorean theorem: In a right triangle the square of the measure of the hypotenuse is equal to the the sum of the squares of the measures of the legs.
Hospitals are not equipped to treat stupid

deiseach

The frightening part is that when it was explained to her why she had not won, RATHER THAN WEARING A BAG OVER HER HEAD SHE WENT TO THE PRESS.

Pangurban

Very good Hardstation, education was not wasted on you

Puckoon

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/education/7087590.stm

UK pupils 'least globally aware' 

Within the UK, young people in England were ranked lowest
UK children aged 11 to 16 have the lowest international awareness among their age group in 10 countries, a British Council survey says.
Ipsos Mori asked 4,170 with internet access about such things as language learning and international affairs.

Those in Nigeria had the highest ranking, while the UK was last after the US and Czech Republic.

Among the questions asked was whether children saw themselves as a citizen of the world or of their own country.

The study coincides with a government drive to raise awareness. An international education week has been organised by England's Department for Children, Schools and Families (DCSF).

Interviews were conducted online in the USA, UK, Germany, Czech Republic, Spain, Brazil, China and India. They were face-to-face in Saudi Arabia and Nigeria, but still among those with net access.

Links

According to the British Council, UK children were the least likely to try to understand current events. More than twice as many Brazilian (69%) and German children (61%) said they would, compared with 28% of the UK sample and 30% of the American.

Asked whether they saw themselves as citizens of the world or their own country, most saw themselves as global citizens - except in the UK, USA and the Czech Republic.

Young people in Brazil were among the most likely to agree with the statement "it is a good idea for schools in my country to have links or partnerships with schools in other countries" but the least likely to be in schools that had such links.

Overall results were scored on an index from seven down to zero:

Nigeria 5.15
India 4.86
Brazil 4.53
Saudi Arabia 3.74
Spain 3.29
Germany 3.24
China 2.97
Czech Republic 2.51
USA 2.22
UK 2.19
British Council chief executive Martin Davidson said: "Our school children cannot afford to fall behind the rest of the world.
"For the UK to compete in a global economy, it is vital that we encourage our young people to have an interest in and engagement with the world around them."