Connacht Club Championship

Started by stephenite, November 06, 2007, 01:00:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PadraicHenryPearse

Jimmy Nail has just turned 26. he is a super player always has been since u-12. Always had a bit of an edge to him and has been very hard to manage. he loves playing football though and when i met him last year he told me he never forgave his u-16 manager who wouldn't play in the u-16 final even though he had broken his hand in the semi-final. St. brigids were vey strong attcking but weak at the back, they miss Ian kilbride and Donal o'Connor. hopefully they can make it 2 in a row

stephenite

Gutted I won't get to see this match - should be a real dinger I reckon. Brigids as defending champs will be favourites and Ballina will miss Liam Brady. As in other years Ballina have had players that have really stood up when needed. Have a suspicion that the Brady to Full forward ploy might not be employed as much this weekend

guy crouchback

really looking forward to this game as well as it should be a dinger. Ballina won the toss and will be wearing their  regular strip. St Bridget's will be coming into this game as favourites and rightly so as defending Connaught Champs. having said that The Ballina defence will probably be the best they have played against and with the ballina midfield as strong as it is they will certainly not have it all their own way.
Enda devanney will be back for ballina which i think is vital as we really missed his forward runs against tourlastrane and as our forward unit is not working as it should recently his presence will be a big boost.

Rossfan

I believe Ballina are favourites in the Bookies?
They are playing at home and won a tougher County Championship than the Kiltoomers.
Hopefully Bridgets will do it but Ballina will be some test.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

the Deel Rover

Quote from: Rossfan on November 20, 2007, 07:23:55 PM
I believe Ballina are favourites in the Bookies?
They are playing at home and won a tougher County Championship than the Kiltoomers.
Hopefully Bridgets will do it but Ballina will be some test.

Don't know about that Rossfan st brigids beating Killerein in Galway was a great result. We played them last year and i think they have improved since then, their backs are tigerish they have an excellent midfield and a great target man in o'connor not to mention francie dolan who seems to get through an awful lot of work. Ballina haven't been at their best since the county semi final when they bet Ballaghdreen and they were underdogs ( wrongly in my opinion) and they have to improve a lot on the last game. Should be a good game just hope the weather stays good 
Crossmolina Deel Rovers
All Ireland Club Champions 2001

Tatler Jack

Ballina are favourites with Paddy Power (10/11) with Brigids at 5/4.

Mano

I think Ballina will win this. They have the advantage of playing at home on a narrow sticky pitch which suits their style of play with big physical players. However they won't have it their own way with Brigids who are also a powerfully built side.

Against Tourlestrane they didn't impress and midway through the second half they were there for the taking if we could have taken some of our many chances but you always sensed that if they were in a spot of bother they could up their game. Which they did when we converted a penalty with 10 minutes remaining. Was very impressed with their fullback lin especially Wynne and Golden-very tight markers who hit hard and don't give up scores easily. Also is there a better club midfield anywhere in the country, Brady, McGarrity and Harte. Ballina by 4 points in a hard hitting encounter

Rossfan

Quote from: Mano on November 22, 2007, 12:20:43 PM
Ballina by 4 points in a hard hitting encounter
St Bridgets dont do hard hitting ..unless it's by Jimmy Nail on the ball.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

guy crouchback

going to go for Ballina by 2 with D Brady scoring a least one goal.

stephenite

Ballina 1-0 ; St.Brigids 0-1 after 70 seconds

stephenite

Ballina Stephenites 2-3 ; St. Brigids 0-4

stephenite

Ballina Stephenites 2-4 ; St. Brigids 0-6 - Half time score

Tatler Jack

Brigids conceded one dreadful goal, missed a good goal chance (great save by Clarke) and have missed three scoreable frees. Stephenites seem stronger around the middle of the field but Brigids not out of this.

Lone Shark

My word but this ref is some chimp. Does he even know the rules?

(1) He gave a penalty for two hops - leaving out the fact that the ball crossed the line and it should have been a goal to begin with, you can't give a penalty for a technical foul - it was either a goal or a 14m free.

(2) Got codded by the Ballina corner back who knew he was due a red card, so he lay down after his own punch and got away with it.

(3) Immediately after got sucked in by a ridiculous swan dive by the St. Brigid's wing back.

I'm not on either side here, but this guy could do anything. He seems to be pulling most of his decisions out of a hat.

Tatler Jack

Agree LS it should have been a goal but if he did not allow it it was a 13m free. He seems to make up the rules as he goes along and his failure to allow the advanatge to Brigids which cost them a point was poor refeering.